Super Cheap Meals
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Super Cheap Meals

Sausage Goulash

Ingredients

1/2 lb sausage, loose (or take off casing and break up)
    2 cups broad noodles
    3-4 cups coarsely slivered cabbage
    salt and pepper
    Directions

Cook noodles and drain. Brown sausage in frying pan, breaking up into small pieces. Add cabbage, stir and cook until cabbage is tender. Add to noodles and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss lightly and serve. Surprisingly tasty!

Chinese Fusion Delight

Cheap meal: (serves 3 - 4, depending on additions)

Add 2 packages ramen noodles and one of the packets to cold water, bring to boil. Turn off heat, let sit until tender. While sitting, saute chopped onions (to taste) in peanut oil. You can add any other left over vegetables or meat/chicken to the onions Drain noodles reserving the liquid and set aside.

Combine 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid, 1/2 of the unused soup packet (save remainder for single cup of broth), 3 rounded Tbsp. peanut butter, scant 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. sesame oil (optional) hot sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste. Heat, stirring till peanut butter and sugar have blended.

Add onions/veggies/meat and ramen to pan, toss to coat. If it's not wet enough, add a little more liquid. You can garnish with diced green onion and/or crispy noodles.

Ground Beef Curly Noodle

Ingredients

1 lb. ground beef
    1 can undrained corn
    1 can chopped undrained tomatoes
    1 package Oriental flavor ramen noodles with seasoning packet
    Directions

Brown beef over medium heat in a skillet, drain fat. Add corn and tomatoes with their juices. Break up noodles in package and stir into skillet, add seasoning packet. Stir and bring to a boil then lower heat and cook for 5 minutes until noodles are tender.

Ideas to spice this up: use flavored canned tomatoes, garlic salt, worcestershire, taco seasoning, etc.

Delicious Cheap Meal - Ham and Bean Soup
    Several years ago when I could barely afford to eat, I found myself desperately looking for a way I could make something cheap, nutritious, tasty, and that would last. I invented a bean soup recipe.

I buy a bag of mixed beans in the grocery store. I get a package of ham hocks or shanks. I sautee lots of onions, celery and carrots in olive oil with minced garlic. I add the beans, ham hocks or shanks, water, and 2 or three cans of diced tomatoes. I usually use the kind with Italian seasoning. Sometimes I used the stuff with chilli seasoning.

I cook it all day until the meat is falling off of the ham hocks. I take the hocks out of the pot, cut the meat off the bone, and get the marrow out of the cavities, and put all of the meat back into the pot. I never use the fat from the ham hocks. If you are worried about the fat, use shanks.

For under $5.00, I would make a dutch oven full, and could eat off of that for over a week. I often adjusted the seasonings by adding Mrs. Dash, but it is a pretty full proof recipe.

By Susan K. Beal

Sloppy Joes
    Crystal Miller
    Serves 8 to 10

1 lb hamburger
    4 to 5 cups cooked beans, we like to use black beans
    1 sweet onion, chopped
    1 green or red pepper, chopped
    1 1/2 cups ketchup, fruit sweetened if possible
    2T Worcestershire sauce
    1 6oz. can tomato paste
    3/4 cup water
    2 to 3T apple cider vinegar, according to taste
    3T Sucanat or Brown Sugar
    1t dry mustard
    salt and pepper to taste
    Brown hamburger with onions and green pepper. Add cooked beans. In a small bowl mix remaining ingredients. Add to hamburger bean mixture and simmer long enough to get everything hot and blend flavors.

Chunky soup With Beef

This was a recipe that Campbell's chunky soup came out with several years ago and I feel that it is still one of the easiest and frugal meals you can fix.

1 lb ground beef
    1 small onion chopped
    1 cup rice
    soy sauce, salt, pepper to taste

Brown meat, onion, with seasonings, Drain

Add 1 large can Campbell's chunky vegetable soup and 1 cup rice

Simmer until no moister is left and rice is cooked

Serve with salad

Quick and easy and only one pan to clean. My family eats this when meals are being prepared out of the pantry. Hope everyone enjoys this old favorite.

By Sandy Webber

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll use these!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh yummy, they all sound so good! Especially the Sausage Goulash...I know I'd really enjoy that one!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i also like this one

a few pieces of chicken cooked...i take breast or tenders...cut them up or cook first doesnt matter..season with basil, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and i have a mccormic chicken roasting herb rub i sprinkle that..brown on both sides..take out (cook it with a little butter) the add butter and throw in rice o roni (chicken flavored) add water after browned, throw in chicken, 1 chicken boulion and later when it almost done add 1/2 can or so of cream of chicken..so yummy and nice on a cool day