Got a KitchenAid Stand Mixer today...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Got a KitchenAid Stand Mixer today...

Finally took the plunge and got a kitchenaid stand mixer. I'm looking forward to using it, but don't know what is worth using it for and what is just best to hand mix.

The "recipe" book even tells you to mix scrambled eggs with it. The beater isn't dishwasher safe, so if I could just scramble eggs with the wisk I put in the dw, why would I use the KA?

And the "cookbook" they include seems super limited to really fatty, or "make you fattty" foods like cake and candy. There have to be healthy foods that it's good for.

I look forward to breads, and buying the accessories for slicing/shredding, etc. but in the meantime, what are some good things to make wiht my mixer that the kitchen aid folk aren't necessarily so savvy about?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my KA, but it's a lot to lug out just for the heck of it. I use mine for bread, pizza crust, pie crust, meringue, cookie dough, cheesecake, and mashed potatoes.

If it's a small job like muffins, cake mix, or manicotti filling, I just use my hand mixer or mix by hand.

There's not way I'd use it for scrambled eggs. That's way too much to clean up for something so simple.

Honestly, for healthy foods, I use my Cusinart much more than the KA.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use my KA for bread doughs, brownies (well that's Greebo's job), marshmallows, meringues, and cookie doughs. I usually do most of my mixing by hand because it is easier clean up as well.

If I had counter space I would keep it accessible but it isn't so I don't use it as often as I could.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Breads and cookies - anything that's hard to mix by hand or a hand mixer. I use the food grinder accessory to grind my own meat.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use it for heavy labour, anything that would result in a sore arm if I did it by hand:
    • bread dough
    • large batches of some cookies (some get over-mixed and are better by hand)
    • pasta
    • hamburger, if you like to mix it with breadcrumbs and spices
    • large batches of mashed potatoes

I also use it for any cake mixes, whipped cream, etc. because I don't have a hand mixer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    I use it for heavy labour, anything that would result in a sore arm if I did it by hand:
    • bread dough
    • pasta

I also use it for any cake mixes, whipped cream, etc. because I don't have a hand mixer.
    You mix your pasta in the machine? I never thought of that but I rarely make batches large enough. Do you use the regular beater attachment? It's a good idea for when I have company come though. !!! What a great idea, thank you.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    You mix your pasta in the machine? I never thought of that but I rarely make batches large enough. Do you use the regular beater attachment? It's a good idea for when I have company come though. !!! What a great idea, thank you.
    Mix the ingredients with the flat beater on a fairly low setting until they stick together, then switch to the dough hook and knead until smooth. It's really easy and only takes a few minutes to make, I do it even for small batches (2 c. flour).

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have used mine for bread, pizza dough and whipped cream so far. I will probably use it next winter for cookie baking. Let's face it, it's a tool for mixing pastry and baked goods, so there are going to be a lot of those recipes. But I don't see why you couldn't use it to mix meatloaf or meatball mix in quantity to freeze later. Or use some of the many healthier whole-grain low sugar muffin or bread recipes.

Yes, the beaters are hand wash, but they are SO easy to clean, mine practically just rinse off. Do it as soon as you are done and it will only take you a minute to wash it off.

I keep mine on the counter because there is no cabinet big enough to store it in.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my kitchenaid! It's so tough! A real workhorse.

I've had mine for almost twenty years (hubby gave it to me on our first wedding anniversary) and I always throw my beaters in the dishwasher (top rack) with no issues whatsoever (both the white flat beater and the wire whipping beater). What kind of beaters have to be handwashed? I'll have to keep an eye out for that when I buy my next one (which I will someday upgrade possibly to a 600 series).

I have a place for it on my counter, so I don't have to lug it around. Wow, I really feel for those of you that don't have that luxury. Those machines are HEAVY!

I use mine for cookie dough, double batches of royal icing, cakes, breads, etc. Although I have the attachments, I have to admit, I rarely pull them out (plus hubby also got me a Kitchen Aid Food processor, so I'm more inclined to use that).

One little tip, read the instructions (and search the web if necessary) for the tip on using a dime to ensure that the mixer head height is set properly. It affects the wear of the beater on the bowl and the quality of the mixing. If you find that it often leaves a little unmixed stuff in the bottom, it's probably a little too high. It's easy to adjust.

Also, these machines are meant to be used and OFTEN. You should turn it on and run it for a few minutes every week, even if you don't make something, to keep the gears better lubricated.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $22,887.41/$25,676.45 (Goal: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had my "pink" mixer now for several months. The mixer mixes anything you want to be mixed. I use it for pizza dough, bread dough, cookies, whipping canned milk, & mixes. And any job your arms might get tired using a hand mixer. I have a grinder. I've made ham salad so far. Ditto ^ about cleaning-easy. It's kept on my counter, covered with a vintage, cross-stitched cloth. I love it! I'm so proud of having one~I just made room for it on my 6'counter.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love mine too! I have it on the counter. I use mine for all the same uses as everyone else have mentioned.

Happy mixing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine is over 20 years old too, it's nice to have something that you know you will have forever. I have used the meat grinder to stuff sausages, nothing like your own, and the whip beater is priceless for marshmallows - a hand mixer simply does not beat in enough air. Also bread doughs, other batters. I like it better than a hand mixer, not even sure where my handmixer is anymore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm just jealous of you all. Someday I will have one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the input! I guess I'll have to make some more forays into the bread baking arena. The breads haven't come out so well before, maybe this will help!

Palooka, I found mine, 600 series, on Amazon for $300, and they have a $40 rebate now. Retail at stores can be as high as $500. So I just tell myself I got it for almost half price and it's justified.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    • bread dough
    • pasta

OMG..I never thought of using my kitchenaid mixer to mix my meatloaf & meatballs..Ummm blond moment!!!..I just hate using my hands mixing all that cold and gooey stuff..Thank you!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast