Food and seasoning combinations you never tried before but worked out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Food and seasoning combinations you never tried before but worked out

I enjoy watching cooking shows especially when I can learn about different cultures. Right now I limit watching them when I am eating. Otherwise I will want to try everything.

Anyway I had remembered a segment where they showed cooking pork with cinnamon sticks. So the last time I had a bunch of pork in the crockpot I added cinnamon sticks also with the other seasonings. Really could not believe now much better the pork tasted and reminded me more of the roasted pork I sometimes purchase at a latin american restaurant. So today I decided to make a soup with some of the leftover pork. I added a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and a quick dash of allspice besides garlic, onion, fresh parsley, fresh chives, and fresh basil. Should also mention that it is the first time I made a soup with pork. Yeah, for some reason beef or chicken was considered soup meat. Really can be set in my ways.

Just that simple addition of cinnamon and allspice really added flavor to the soup. Can't believe it took me so long to try it.

Also have been trying to add more produce in my diet. Eating plain fruit or veggies all the time just seems so bland. I purchased some orange juice and realized I am not a big orange juice person. So I ended up pouring about a 1-2 cups of orange juice in a pan and letting it reduce a little then poached some fish in it. Removed the fish once cooked and reduced some more seasoning it with some ground ginger, garlic, and black pepper. When it was almost done I added some fresh diced apple. Let it cook a little leaving the apple with more texture to it. Then poured the sauce with apples over the fish. Was really good, plus fast, simple and pretty low cal. Another, why haven't I been doing this before? moment.

Anyone else have some different food and seasoning combinations that is not the straight forward north american standard food? Guess it all depends on what you grew up eating and exposed to. Please share what you enjoy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to try more sweet/savory combos I think, and more fruit/meat combos. I'm resistant because I really don't like those things together, like ham and pineapple, but I try to keep an open mind and am always trying new things.

I recently found out I love rosemary, so I'm trying to find new things to use that in. So far it's been things like crackers and foccacia bread.

In soups, I love me a big dose of basil. Basil, garlic, and oregano is a nice combo in soups, too.

Marinades with lemon or lime juice is good.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been wanting to try this recipe. Even have the black rice for it.

Grilled Pineapple with Coconut Black Sticky Rice - Recipe.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That looks different.

I wish my husband liked spicy foods more. I'm trying to gradually get him acclimated. LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I could eat spicy foods but I can't eat mostly because I am allergic to peppers. Remember the second time I ate chicken wings I did not like the taste. Figured it was one of those after a while I will get used to them. Well I did but I should have listened to my first instinct. If I had stayed away from them instead of eating them and eventually liking them I would not have had so many health problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love spicy foods! But anyway...a couple of things I can't believe I lived this many years without knowing. Red beans and rice. Been eating that since I could eat. Just a few months ago, I discovered putting just a bit of cinnamon in the dried beans as they cook makes a world of difference. And chili. Again, I think I've cooked a thousand pots of chili. Recently discovered an added tablespoon or so of Hershey's cocoa makes it wonderful! Just a delicious and rich flavor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really need to try some of these tips!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, cocoa in chili just sounded so wrong, but you've got to remember it's unsweetened cocoa, and not a candy bar that you're putting in there. It's a staple of Cincinnatti style chili.

Likewise, we think of coconut as sweet, but the fresh stuff really isn't, and I've discovered it's really good mixed with bread crumbs on chicken.

Salted caramels. OMG!

Vinegar on fruit. Balsamic vinegar, specifically. I discovered this a long time ago, but it's such a weird combination.

Blue cheese with just about anything. Apples, pear jam, tomato jam, beets, on a hamburger, with caramelized onions on a pizza....
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good point. Unsweetened cocoa. Thank you for pointing that out. Somebody may have come gunnin' for me after putting a candy bar in their chili.

Salted caramels? I need to hear more. Sounds good.

Blue cheese. OMG! I have a recipe I'll have to post for beef steak with this blue cheese sauce. Fantastic. And who would have ever thought of putting a blue cheese sauce on steak?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a mango, avocado and shrimp salad a while ago using some balsamic vinegar. Really tasty.

Would always add bacon and some brown sugar in my chilli. Unfortunately I haven't made chilli in a really long time. Maybe I should try to make a version similar without the chilli powder. Yea, I know then it won't be chilli.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Much of the flavor in chili powder is cumin. There are recipes online for homemade chili powder you could tinker with to see what you'd be able to eat.

Almost anything tastes better with blue cheese!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got a pork butt roast in the freezer. i want to try the cinnamon. What else should I add to it?

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Shoiji, chili pepper is only one of about 5 seasonings I put in chili, aside from meat and onions, tomatoes and beans. My husband can't eat pepper or chili either. People tell me I make a great chili, and if they want it hotter, I offer them a jar of habanero sauce.

Is it only chilis, or is it all peppers? Does paprika bother you? Black pepper?

SueBee, salted caramel is... caramel with salt on it. Simple to make at home. salted caramels | GOURMET RECIPES FOR ONE | by Karen J. Covey

Some places chocolate coat it, but I think plain is best.

I've also made pumpkin caramels with pepitas and salt.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Recipe saved. Now this fleur de sel stuff...had to look that one up and I'm afraid my caramels might have to settle for plain old sea salt. The salty/sweet combo really sounds good.

This is the recipe for the steak with blue cheese.

Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Blue Cheese-Chive Butter Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I've never fixed it myself. Ate it somewhere and thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oooohhhhhh, that looks so good! I have to write a review of a grill accessory that goes on our grill outside, and that steak would be great on that, I bet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast