frugal fake meat (i.e. meat substitutes that could maybe pass for meat) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the only way to tell if your high cholesterol is genetic is to stop eating all animal fats (meat and dairy) for 2-4 weeks and then have your cholesterol tested. Most peoples cholesterol will go down. I think it's pretty powerful that studies have shown that you can not only stop but reverse heart disease by not eating animal fats. Although I am not a 100% vegetarian or vegan I do try to get most of my diet from plant food.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have not tried a no cholesterol diet. But in theory eating low cholesterol meats and no dairy should bring it down. And it has not. Or maybe it would be proper to say that we were already eating that kind of diet before the first tests. He is on meds for it though. But I get the sense even with meds it is still not where the doctors want it to be.

I found this bit on the healthline website:

Although food companies often advertise products as low in cholesterol, dietary cholesterol actually only has a small influence on the amount of cholesterol in the body.

This is because the liver changes the amount of cholesterol it makes depending on how much you eat. When your body absorbs more cholesterol from your diet, it makes less in the liver.

For example, a study randomly assigned 45 adults to eat more cholesterol in the form of two eggs daily. In the end, those eating more cholesterol did not have higher total cholesterol levels or changes in lipoproteins, compared to those eating less cholesterol (4Trusted Source).

At any rate we have been doing most of the other recommend stuff: healthy fats, omega 3s, lots of fiber, etc. The only thing he doesn't do is exercise regularly. Because of his poor health, just normal walking and day to day stuff is about at his limit. This is not just about cholesterol, he lots of other health issues as well.

I like the plant protein chart but it is a little misleading because not all servings are the same size. I would eat 1/2 a cup of beans or tofu for a meal. I would not eat 1/2 a cup of peanut butter for a serving. Seeds are also comparable to nuts in that they are pretty high calorie, so the have similar serving sizes.

This is not a perfect analogy since it is done by weight and some foods are heavy than others.

I think my husband has dropped the eat less meat plan and is back to our normal lean meat eating plan. He has decided that low cholesterol meats are okay. The cholesterol guidelines for those with heart conditions say "as little as possible." I find that frustrating. I would rather have a number.

I think for us, it comes down to how healthy a diet can we have that is psychologically sustainable. For example, some people have successfully had a "no dessert ever" diet as a lifetime commitment. However, most people will not be able to handle it.

At any rate, I think our current diet might be the healthiest we can sustain.
    KathyB

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think for us, it comes down to how healthy a diet can we have that is psychologically sustainable.
    I think it comes down to this for everybody. Yes, you can lose weight on celery sticks, cottage cheese and grapefruit, but nobody wants to live like that the rest of their life which is why "dieting" fails so many people. And why there is no "one size fits all" healthy diet plan. We each have to figure out what works for us.

And I get what you're saying about the serving sizes. No you wouldn't eat half a cup of PB (though some would) as a meal by itself, but a quarter cup on whole grain makes a good sandwich with a decent amount of protein. A quarter to half cup can make a sauce for a veggie/tofu stir fry. As a dip for apples or vegetables, it's pretty good, for a snack or lunch.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A serving size of peanut butter is listed as 2 Tablespoons. I always thought that seemed a bit stingy. I think most people eat a little more than that.

I notice that higher fat food tends to have pretty small serving sizes.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it makes the food seem to have fewer calories or fat when they label it that way. I have noticed some small bags of chips are now marked as being 2 or more servings. I have a candy bar in front of me that is labeled as 3 servings. Salad dressings are often labeled as 2TB =serving, but people use way more.

I don't look at it as a measure of how much to eat, as much as a measure of what I'm eating.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Yeah, it makes the food seem to have fewer calories or fat when they label it that way. I have noticed some small bags of chips are now marked as being 2 or more servings. I have a candy bar in front of me that is labeled as 3 servings. Salad dressings are often labeled as 2TB =serving, but people use way more.

I don't look at it as a measure of how much to eat, as much as a measure of what I'm eating.
    yes remember about 10 years ago they were putting serving size of like 1/2 a cookie to make it look low calorie. think when all that 100 cal snack size stuff came out. like who eats 1/2 a cookie. then the outcry from the public made company start changing portion sizes to reasonable servings. some aren't great but something I always pointed out to people when demos...when asked about sugar or fat. what it is based on ..like 15 crackers well that is reasonable or a cup of juice. but a 1/3 of a cup would be stupid because people don't drink that little of an amount

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And 12 oz cans of pop were 1.5 servings. Who is going to open a can of pop and throw 1/3 of it away, because what else are you supposed to do with it? I think the law was changed so labels are now supposed to be what would be a logical serving, such as an entire cookie or one regular size candy bar, etc. But this is why I lecture about not being suckered by the attention-grabbing labels on the front of packages, but look at the boring nutrition labels on the back instead.

The one that always annoyed me was Cool Whip. Who the hell would ever eat just 2 level t. of Cool Whip? Or even 2 T.?

I usually eat 2 T. of salad dressing, on days I'm behaving. It's plenty for me and I love dressings.

Deceptive labels are why I use my food scale, my WW app, and nutrition labels. When I'm behaving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    And 12 oz cans of pop were 1.5 servings. Who is going to open a can of pop and throw 1/3 of it away, because what else are you supposed to do with it? I think the law was changed so labels are now supposed to be what would be a logical serving, such as an entire cookie or one regular size candy bar, etc. But this is why I lecture about not being suckered by the attention-grabbing labels on the front of packages, but look at the boring nutrition labels on the back instead.

The one that always annoyed me was Cool Whip. Who the hell would ever eat just 2 level t. of Cool Whip? Or even 2 T.?

I usually eat 2 T. of salad dressing, on days I'm behaving. It's plenty for me and I love dressings.

Deceptive labels are why I use my food scale, my WW app, and nutrition labels. When I'm behaving.
    more like a cup or two of cool whip lol yes I know you have to read the label not fad of the day. I remember looking at $10 betty cocker gluten free cake mix..you added about a cup of butter, 2 tps of vanilla, milk, and 3 eggs.. like the bit of flour would cost you way less on its own! of course it tasted good lol or the jello is fat free.. yep it always was.

I stopped while shopping to talk shop to a demo person she was doing the nougat candy w the jubejubes in it. only one day demo but lots of demo product so she dumped a handful in my handbag lol don't have to give it back to company. friends always liked it when I did candy demos because they always sent way more then you needed. but a couple of people were does it have sugar.. it is candy . of course it does. but you have to be nice lol. it was ind wrapped totally candy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Then there's the bait and switch. LOW FAT! But of course, the nutrition label shows it's high in sugar to make up for it. But people fall for that kind of marketing. "All natural" is another good one. There are tons of natural foods that aren't very healthy. But people are fooled by the trendy buzz words. Granola bars are another good place to get fooled. A lot of them are about as bad as candy bars. A person has to be so careful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree that granola bars are awful... unless you are hiking the Appalachian Trail and need that many calories and carbs. Sitting at a desk, not so much.

And gluten-free isn't a weight loss diet. It's an allergy diet, so I can understand that some of the ingredients would raise an eyebrow. You have to find what works for you. Even so, gluten is mostly in grains, and I don't believe there is a baked goods product that anyone can call 100% healthful for everyone.

Have you seen portion size on ice cream? Half a cup. That's like... one scoop... nobody stops there.

"Natural", yeah, arsenic is natural. So is lead.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's my understanding very few people are sensitive to gluten, so I don't get the whole anti-gluten craze.

I also think the organic thing is just a marketing tool, mostly. There is just no way to prevent pesticides and herbicides from drifting onto so-called organic crops.

I'm a food cynic. There, I've said it now. I just don't believe all the hype.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do half a cup of (non-dairy) ice cream. We generally have it in a small bowl that is about half fruit and half ice cream.

I did the gluten free think for a couple of years. There is some material out there that says that gluten free products are better for you than stuff with gluten. I am not sure if there is anything solid behind it. Mostly it is lots of people saying that they feel better after giving up gluten. Supposedly you will lose weight and your digestion will be improved.

I am one of those people who has lots of problems losing weight. One tracker app claimed I should be losing 1 to 2 pounds a week with what I eat and how much I exercise. Lies, lies, lies. I have the metabolism of tree sloth even. So I guess I am a little vulnerable to claims like "this is why you cannot lose weight."

I am a bit cynical about the whole organic thing myself. I think part of it is that they are all ridiculously overpriced. Some people claim organic tastes better. I do not notice a difference on most products and I have pretty sensitive taste buds. (Exception: There is a brand or organic tomatoes that are so much better than the regular ones.) I watched a show once where they cut up a banana and put half the slices on a tray that said organic and the other half on a tray labeled non-organic. Then they did a taste taste. All the participants claimed the organic bananas tasted much better.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    Mostly it is lots of people saying that they feel better after giving up gluten. Supposedly you will lose weight and your digestion will be improved.
    That would suggest that these people have some sensitivity to gluten and should get tested to find out for sure. Most people have no problem digesting gluten.

I watched a show once where they cut up a banana and put half the slices on a tray that said organic and the other half on a tray labeled non-organic. Then they did a taste taste. All the participants claimed the organic bananas tasted much better.
    LOL! I don't notice any difference in flavor between the two, either. I buy what is priced best for the quality.

Back on the meat substitute subject, paneer is pretty good. It is an Indian cheese that is often used in vegetarian curries. It is firm and does not melt. It is cut in cubes, and it does not look like meat but it has a firm chewy texture that is pretty satisfying. You would need to go to an Indian grocery, I haven't seen it in mainstream stores yet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The power of suggestion is really something. That's why companies are willing to spend so much money on advertising, and why they're able to convince people of things like brand names are better than store brands. We humans are sometimes a gullible bunch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Subbing to this thread so I don't miss any future posts and also that way I can find it when I have more time to come back and read all the current and past posts!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast