frugal fake meat (i.e. meat substitutes that could maybe pass for meat) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The daiya cheese is nasty. DH is allergic to dairy and we tried this, he would rather go without that eat this. He did like the non dairy cream cheese. We have had the "cheese" made out of nutritional yeast and cashews. Also nasty. We have also done TVP I think I have several #10 size cans of this in my storage. We have the plain TVP and you need to add spices/worcestershire sauce etc to give it any type of flavour. It is OK in small doses, but I don't think I could do it long term. I have used it in chili, spaghetti sauces, tacos, etc. I have even added a tbsp or so to the tins of tuna in water to stretch that tuna a bit more. you just need to soak in and it doesn't take long to soak to rehydrate it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have come to the conclusion that some of the meat substitutes are tasty. However, none of them really taste like meat to me. The constancy is not quite right either. Though the impossible burger and beyond meat come close. I think they pass for burgers for someone who has not had a real burger for some time.

Some are a bit of a mystery. The vegan bacon I had did not taste bad. It also tasted nothing at all like bacon to me. I guess it must taste like bacon to somebody.

You can add spices and flavorings associated with meat to make them taste more like meat. But you are not actually adding meat flavor. For example, if you cook barbecue beans with meat the beans will have a meaty flavor. If you cook barbecue beans without meat, the beans are still tasty, but they will not taste like meat.

Sometimes if you combine chicken with strong flavorings like spicy barbecue or curry, the spice can overpower the flavor of the chicken. However, the chicken flavor is still there. And its absence is noticeable when you replace the chicken with a meat substitute. A vegetarian BBQ or curry can be tasty, but it will not taste like meat to me.

I have seen natural cheese flavored extract online, but I have never seen natural meat flavor extract for sale.

As I mentioned on one of the other posts, I think my taste buds might be more sensitive than the average person. Some people might think the the meat substitutes are a convincing substitute when properly spiced. I am not trying to disagree with them, just stating my own perceptions.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Although it does not fit the original idea, I think what works better is meat mixed with another protein source.

For example, this weekend my husband made lentils, wild rice and sausage in the slow cooker. It taste like meat because it has meat in it. But by combining it with lentils we only eat half as much meat.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've done that for years, mixing meat and other ingredients to cut fat and cholesterol and cost. I'm always looking for new ideas on how to do that.

Maybe it's like diet pop. When my doc took away my beloved Mountain Dew years ago, I tried switching to Diet Dew. It's nothing like regular Dew. Rather than try to switch over to something that tastes awful, I moved to a different diet pop entirely. I drink maybe 4 Mountain Dews a yr now, all when we're traveling. I've mostly quit expecting food substitutes to taste like the original and just look for stuff that tastes good in its own right. Changing my expectations has helped a lot.

I really need to try lentils again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes think the fake meat like chicken etc are seasoned soy sauce and things like that. I did a gardien products like fish sticks smelt like it and tasted like it. but made w algae which makes sense..the fishy taste

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123