Anyone ever win a prize in a cooking contest?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up Anyone ever win a prize in a cooking contest?

I've won twice for my apple pie and another time for chocolate chip sour cream cake. The first time I entered my pie in an apple desserts contest at a small local fair. I took home first prize-a blue ribbon and $100. That has to be my proudest moment. I have the ribbon hanging in the kitchen. The other two contests were at church-I won first prize then too. I'd like to hear if anyone else has ever done this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I compete annually at our District Fair (includes a number of counties instead of just one--all the blue ribbon winners from all the counties in our ditrict are eligible to compete in the category they received a blue in). I usually take home a few blues as well as a scattering of other ribbons...

I've competed since I was 9 with my baking/cooking...just part of the norm for me to do this now! I'm debating a decorated cake next year.....better prize money! (Prize money is low here...you don't compete to get rich, lol, though if you take home blues it usually will cover the cost of your baking at least!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get involved in my local county fair, have entered one thing or another since about 1981, and I seem to win a ribbon on something, even if it is an Honorable Mention. Usually I enter muffins, sometimes a cake (chocolate or pioneer prune cake), jam, chili sauce (basically a tomato relish, but sweet-ish), or a quilt, rug, or chair pad if I am really ambitious! Love to enter the baked / canned goods, and I truly enjoy seeing the talents of the others who enter the baked and canned goods. There is a category for just about everyone, even the mentally challenged. And the wedding cakes that people enter! Oh, boy, are they gorgeous!

Can't wait for the county fair this year! August is just around the corner.

Julie

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a picnic one time for the place I worked at before being a sahm.Everyone was supposed to bring a dessert and the best would win a prize.Mine won!!I won a cook book full of chocolate recipes.YUM

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i hold 3 place for my lemon butter, in The Blacktown anual show unfortunalty there are only ever 3 or 4 people that enter that division,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if this counts.....I helped my son decorate a cake for the cub scouts. We made a bundt cake into a volcano and they kept calling out fifth, fourth, third, second and first prize.....we thought for sure we didn't win....but we did....we were shocked. My son and I have never won anything. (hope this wasn't our ship that came in! Hee hee!) We decoarted the bundt cake with chocoalte frosting, used colored, flavored spaghetti sticking out of the middle to represent shooting lava and used red and orange frosting down the sides and black, red and orange jelly beans all over it. I have to admit we did pretty good considering no one here is very handy! Thank goodness we took a picture of it....we now look in the album and giggle with delight!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone ever win a prize in a cooking contest?

Originally posted by mustang80
    I've won twice for my apple pie and another time for chocolate chip sour cream cake. The first time I entered my pie in an apple desserts contest at a small local fair. I took home first prize-a blue ribbon and $100. That has to be my proudest moment. I have the ribbon hanging in the kitchen. The other two contests were at church-I won first prize then too. I'd like to hear if anyone else has ever done this!
    You need to cough over that apple pie recipe. *LOL*
    Unless it's top secret.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unless 4-H counts, ummm no. I really am a good cook. Really I am! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default CountryMom, we'll have to ask your DH LOL!

No secrets on the apple pie recipe. Here it is:

Crust:

1 1/2 cups flour
    2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup oil
    3 Tbsp milk
    Mix pie crust ingredients together with a fork and pat into pie plate with your fingers-no need to roll. This fits nicely into a large deep dish pie plate, too.

Apples:

About 5-6 med to large apples. I use Gala or golden delicious, that way you don't have to add so much sugar. Pare and chop or slice apples. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon to taste. Place into crust.

Crumb Topping:

1/2 cup softened BUTTER
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    1 cup flour
    Mix crumb topping ingredients together with a fork or pastry cutter/blender. Spread crumbs over pie. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

ENJOY!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking

Thanks for posting your recipe. I generally use crisco recipe for pie crust. I will sometimes press coconut into the crust. I have been told not to roll the dough much, so I am thinking your pie crust must be great because it's not rolled.
    I can't wait to try this.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mmmm I am now craving apple pie. Sara, where's the pie smiley? LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hhmm......ummm....when I was 9 I took a blue ribbon in the 4-H cooking contest for my corn-cornbread
    thats about it....I get many rewards formy cooking at home..and my husband wears the trophy proudly around his middle...heheheh....
    although sometimes..I sort of "experiment"...that doesnt usually go over real well....