Company's coming over and you need a fast dessert out of the pantry stash-- cheap too - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ladies your recipes sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

glad you like this thread, it's turning out to be a real little goldmine with everyones finest little pantry dessert recipes.

Here is another fast, cheap dessert quicker than a mix, and so tasty!

Hot Fudge Sponge Pudding (microwave, makes a cake layer top over a hot fudge sauce bottom)

In a 2 L or 8 cup casserole mix the following:
    1 scant cup of flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1-1/2 TBSP cocoa powder (I use the baking kind, no sugar)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt (can be left out)

Now mix into the above ingredients till just blended:
    1/2 cup milk
    2 TBSP oil

Now sprinkle the mess with:
    1-1/2 TBSP cocoa and
    1/3 cup sugar

NOW pour:
    1-1/2 cups boiling water
    over it all

And NUKE at Medium High for 10 minutes watching it doesn't boil over. (which is why you use such a big dish for this too)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Lemon Bars makes 3 to 4 dozen

I took this old classic lemon bar and cranked up the lemon a notch. The original was from Taste of Home 1997 annual page 301. It bakes for 20 minutes then another 20 to 25 for a total of 45 minutes give or take.

Lemon Bars:
    Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 inch pan

Combine:
    1-1/2 cups flour
    2/3 cup icing sugar
    3/4 cup soft butter (warm a bit in the microwave)

and the margery touch: 1 scoop of Countrytime Lemonaide powder. If you don't have any it's ok too, but it does bump up the lemon a bit.

Pat into a GREASED (I spray with PAM) 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes while you prepare the filling.

Whisk the following in a bowl and pour out onto the hot crust:
    3 eggs
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    3 Tbsp Flour
    1/4 cup Lemon Juice

and my touch? a few drops of Lemon extract --again if you don't have it, it will work but this bumbs it up a notch.

Bake for a further 20 to 25 minutes till leight golden brown, cool and dust with a little icing sugar and cut into squares.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For last min. desserts I usually fall back on an apple crisp.I'll have one of the kids drive to Stewarts for vanilla ice cream to put on top of the crisp to melt so lovingly over it. Yum!

We never get last min. guests and we usually only have dessert when there is company so they are always planned. I do keep angel food cake mix, pudding mix and fruit in the freezer so I suppose I could get creative with that. Some kind of trifle.
    Nice thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used this recipe for years, my mom used to make it she always called it Apple Delight

2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
    1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
    1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
    Pour apple pie filling into a 9x13-inch pan.
    Sprinkle cake mix over apples.
    Drizzle melted butter on top, stirring slightly to evenly moisten dry cake batter. Bake 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chocolate Cherry Crisp

1 15 oz pkg brownie mix
    1 cup quick cooking oats
    1/2 cup margarine -- melted
    2 21 oz. cans cherry pie filling

Heat oven to 350.
    In large bowl, mix brownie mix and oats. Add margarine. Stir until moistened. (Mixture will be dry)
    Spoon pie filling in 9 inch dish. Sprinkle with brownie mixture.
    Bake 35 minutes. Cool 30 minutes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great recipes here ladies!!!! Hope you don't mind but I'm printing them all off!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL that is what I was hoping with this thread. Everybody needs an ace or two in the hole so to speak!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I printed off a couple of copies to give to some friends also. I promise I gave you all credit for your recipes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These recipes are my favourite kind. Grab, mix, wack in and hey presto, everyone's happy. Like Darlene, my evil twin, I'm printing them off and they'll sit in my recipe archive. I'm cooking Margery's Impossible Coconut Pie tonight.

I thought I'd add another one to the list. This is ideal for when someone drops in for coffee and you want to bake something fast. It's Scones - NOT rhyming with own, but scones rhyming with John. I watched Martha Stewart make scones on her show recently and I was horrified at the recipe she used. It contained two sticks of butter!!! Outrageous! It should only have a fraction of that or it turns into something resembling brioche. Anyhow, enough from on top of my high horse, here's my recipe for scones that are suitable for jam and cream (Devonshire Tea):

Makes about 10 scones

2 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 cup butter
    1 cup buttermilk (or plain milk)

Sift flour, salt, sugar and baking powder into bowl. Add softened butter and rub in well with your finger tips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough milk to make a soft dough... not sticky. Turn onto a floured board and shape - don't knead it. The more you handle this dough the tougher it will be. The shape should be one inch height. Cut with a round cookie cutter and place on baking sheet . Brush with a little milk. Bake @ 200/high until risen and golden brown (15 min).

While still warm, break the scone into two halves and top with raspberry jam (or some other red jam) and thick cream (no butter). Traditionally these are served with tea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Bethany thank you! Those look lovely.

My grandparents were asstd British Isles and my Step Gran Dulce who is still alive, and comes to visit me will love those next time. We always have tea at about 330 to 4 in the afternoon with her. And when I was growing up and visiting at her place. Fruit cake, muffins with butter and jam, cookies that Grandad called biscuits, etc.

I wanted to do a nice tea for her when she was here, and we had some 4rth cousins over (she knows them all -- she's related by birth and by marriage which sounds and is complicated.-- Old Quaker family with all kinds of interconnections.)

I made strawberry shortcakes with whipped cream but I couldn't find a proper shortcake recipe like I remember so I sweetened the biscuit recipe (not cookies, the other kind) and threw in some cream and they were ok, but next time, I think I'll make these and find some real Devonshire cream.

When I was little Dulce kept a Jersey cow and she made real homemade Devonshire cream.

And you are right about the pronunciation of scones. Drives me nuts to hear it rhyming with stones. I was taught to say it as you do.

MMP

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I take fruit, I have bunches and bunches of frozen dessert peaches in the freezer but pie filling is okay too, top with dry cake mix, top with melted margarine/butter to cover and cook at 375 till golden brown. Fast, quick and easy

MMP

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One the kids love, but not neccesarily pantry stock.

Fruit salad

1 can fruit cocktal, well drained
    1 container kool whip
    1 8oz container sour cream
    1 box gelatin
    1 cup mini marshmellows

Mix all the ingredients together. Chill a few hours to make it firm. I have added bananas to this with ease. Easy to double buying the bigger containers of koolwhip and sour cream. Last time I used some sparkling berry jello and it came out a pretty pale pink rather than bright pink. Tastes great if you use fat/sugar free choices, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Margery, I made your impossible coconut pie and I don't know if I stuffed it up or not but the bottom floury layer didn't wook properly. It was gluggy. So I just served the top egg custard and coconut bit and it was delish!! It's definately going to be served again in this house, minus the flour layer. Thanks for the recipe.

I'm sure Dulce will love your Devonshire Tea and I hope you enjoy the scones. Jersey cows have the sweetest faces and give very creamy milk. If I had the room, I would keep a Jersey cow.

PS We call our cookies biscuits too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bethany, glad the top bit worked well. I find the bottom layer tends to be really soggy, gluggy does describe it.

What I found works well is to use a little less flour, make it a scant measure of flour,

Then I often put it in without preheating, and sit it on the bottom rack, right over the heat.

The bottom browns up a bit and while it never goes crispy, it isn't that thick stodgy layer. Seems to help it along a bit.

Those impossible pies usually never get anything close to a crust except on the top where the top layer gets crispy. The bottoms are hopefully fairly thin layers of the gluggy bits.

HTH

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast