If We Eat Fast Food/Restaurant Food One More Night...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default If We Eat Fast Food/Restaurant Food One More Night...

...I may EXPLODE!!! Seriously...this kitchen needs to be done and done NOW because our health and our wallets are suffering SEVERELY. I've thought about crockpotting it, but just keep forgetting in the mornings. Hopefully tomorrow, I will remember and we will have a real meal. This is SO bad financially and SO bad healthwise. I never thought I'd get sick of eating out, but I AM SICK OF EATING OUT. I didn't even grocery shop this week because we didn't eat any of our food! WHATEVER!

Okay, so I am ranting a bit, obviously, but I'm TOTALLY fed up. They aren't behind schedule or anything, but I just hadn't realized the effect that all this eating out would have on me. It's made me INSANE!!!

Do you ladies have any REALLY easy, practically preparation free meals you can think of that would help me out? (Yes, sandwiches is the obvious answer, but picky-picky husband won't eat anything that's not dinner-y for dinner. No breakfast for dinner and no lunch for dinner. If it was up to me, we'd be having Cheerios for every meal around here.)

Okay, I gotta go chill.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whemn we did our renovations I bought a bunch of those chicken meal kits. They weren't bad a little more $$$ but much cheaper than eating out everynight and much healthier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about grilled cheese and tomatoe basil soup? You can add ham chunks to the soup and maybe use a specialty bread for the sandwiches.

Or maybe a chicken dinner, like biscuits (bisquick type maybe?) a slow baked chicken, and veggies. I generally do this by putting my seasoned (depends on my mood how it is seasoned) whole chicken on a rack in a broiling pan in the oven i bake at around 350-375, I make sure to add water under the bird to steam up around the bird and to baste with. Toward the end of the baking, brush the skin with butter. That will brown the skin and bump up the flavoring.

Failing that, I thaw out some steaks, hand em over to dh and point at the grill. (I will not grill, i burn myself every single time ) Then I will get some corn on the cob, pull back but do not remove the...brain cramp...um...the green leafy things. remove the silk. then slather with butter (I have heard of using sour cream, but havent tried it) season well with your favorites...hot salt? Garlic? season salt? Mrs. dash? whatever you like, any combinations. pull the leaves back up and wrap in tin foil. I give these to dh to grill, along with a few potatoes. Easy dinner on me! LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you have a grill? I'd be grilling veggies , meats etc.

*** Please no one kick me here **** there are now prepackaged crock pot meals in the stores. They are pretty pricey in my opinion, but would be better than eating out every night.

Will your dh eat a chef salad?

What do you have to work with?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No grill, no oven, no stove. I realize that our foremothers cooked over open flames and campfires, but that ain't flying here.

Dh eat a salad for dinner???

Prepackaged crock meals? Hmmm...couldbe a temporary solution. I may stick some chicken breasts in the crock tomorrow morning and toss in some rice an hour before dinner time. That will solve one meal! Thank you for your advice, ladies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you buy a cooked chicken from the store and add a salad at home?

How about preparing your crockpot meal the night before and have it in the fridge. You'd only have to get it out in the morning and set it to cook.

Make some gourmet sandwiches and buy some french fries at the take away to go with them. And if your DH complains that it's not dinner-y enough, allow him to preapre the next night's dinnner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BTDT Amy, I too got SICK of eating out!

Bethany has a good suggestion, here in my local market you can by a whole chicken already roasted and hot, add some mac or pot salad and some baked beans from the deli and you have dinner.

I don't know if you can do this in the crock or not, but how about mac & cheese and add a salad. If you don't have room to even make the salad, stop at the market and make one up at the salad bar. Or buy the bag of salad in the produce aisle and add a tomato and cuke, more frugal route.

I think you can make lasagna in the crock, or stuffed shells (the big ones) You can make it meatless with just ricotta cheese or cottage cheese add an egg and some seasonings and your favorite jar sauce. Pick up some meatballs in the deli if Rob likes meat for dinner.

On your next day off, cook a chicken in the crock, then pick it off the bone and save the broth. You can then make chicken 'n biscuits, I always add a can of peas to mine, gives it some color. Buy the biscuits in the markets bakery. You can shred it for bbq, do it like an open face sandwich and add a couple of veggies. You could do the same with a beef or pork roast, just cook it on your day off, put it in the fridge then shred it or make stroganoff or whatever you like during the week.

Might be worth it to buy a small (1 burner) hot plate. That way you could make rice or potatoes to go with dinner if they don't go well in the crock with what you are making.

HTH some. I know what it is like remodeling a kitchen and having no place to cook, not fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you have a microwave?

How about cooking up large potatoes in the crockpot, then adding chopped ham, cheese sauce ( canned cheese soup works well), veggies, whatever you like for potato toppings.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by sunshine
    *** Please no one kick me here **** there are now prepackaged crock pot meals in the stores. They are pretty pricey in my opinion, but would be better than eating out every night. 
      Actually, I was going to suggest that, too.  I haven't tried them yet, so I can't tell you how they taste, but I have one in my freezer (bought with coupons, lol!) and it looks like all you do is dump it in and add water.

Other easy crockpot ideas:

Open several cans of veggies, plus some tomato sauce (or ketchup if nothing else), dump it all in your crockpot, and you'll have vegetable soup for the next few meals.  You can also add a pound of cubed stew meat if you want to. 

Or, throw a roast in the crockpot with mushroom soup and an envelope of onion soup mix.    You could add potatoes and carrots if you have them.    You can have roast one night, and sandwiches the next.  Or make them into hot shots if your DH doesn't want sandwiches-- layer one slice bread, meat, and top with gravy.

I remember when I was a kid and my parents remodeled the kitchen-- we lived off an electric skillet in the dining room.  We did lots of sandwiches! 

Can you cook a box of macaroni & cheese? (I don't know what else you have besides a crockpot to work with.)   If so, stir in a can of tuna.  That's a quick and easy lunch around here, but maybe your DH would consider it dinner-y.   Open a can of peas on the side, and you're done.

That's all I can think of right now.  Hope things get done soon for you!