Help needed - lemon recipes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Help needed - lemon recipes

I have a million lemons. Well, that might be an exaggeration but not by much.

Do you have any recipes that use lemons? I'd love to hear them. I have this problem every year. This year we have a bumper crop of lemons and I doubt I can stretch friendships any more with "gifts" of lemons.

All food and cleaning recipes will be gratefully received.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

anything in particular you are looking for?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chicken and Artichokes in Lemon Cream Sauce over Penne

courtesy Susannah Locketti

8 ounces dried penne pasta
    Olive oil cooking spray
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    16 ounces boneless, skinless, chicken breast, pounded thin and cut into strips
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 cup vermouth, or any other dry white wine
    2 lemons, zested and juiced
    1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 (14-ounce) cans evaporated skim milk
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    2 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts
    1 bunch fresh parsley leaves, chopped
    1 lemon, cut into wedges, for garnish

Boil the penne, drain, rinse, and set aside. To prevent the noodles from sticking, spray with olive oil cooking spray.
    In a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the butter and also spray with olive oil cooking spray. Add the garlic. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to pan, and saute until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside, covering with foil. Add the vermouth and the juice and zest from 2 lemons. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits and cook over medium-high heat to reduce a bit before adding the broth, flour, and milk and whisk constantly to incorporate the flour. Allow the sauce to thicken slightly and season with salt and pepper. Add the Parmesan and whisk constantly until the sauce thickens even more. Return the cooked chicken, along with any reserved juices, to the pan. Add the artichokes and stir gently until the artichokes and chicken are warmed through and the sauce is even thicker. Place the penne on a pretty platter and top with the chicken mixture. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, black pepper, and lemon wedges for an easy and elegant presentation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lemon Cakes

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
    2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
    4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
    1/3 cup grated lemon zest lightly packed (6 to 8 large lemons - Use only fresh lemon juice and zest)
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    For the glaze:
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans.
    Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, the key to great cakes is beating the butter and sugar until the mixture's until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed add the eggs, (break the eggs into a dish before adding to the batter to avoid a bad egg or shells in the batter) 1 at a time, and the lemon zest. Sift together the flour, to make sure there are no lumps, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Separately, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
    Cook 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the cakes are done, cool for 10 minutes, invert them onto a rack set over a tray and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
    For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.
    To freeze these cakes, prepare them except the glaze. Wrap them well in plastic wrap and freeze. When you're ready to use, defrost and glaze.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lemon Parmesan Linguine

Ingredients

¾ pound linguine
    ¾ cup whipping cream
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
    ½ cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions

Cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving ½ cup cooking water.
    Bring cream and butter to simmer in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix in lemon juice and peel. Add pasta; toss to coat, adding reserved cooking water as needed to thin sauce to desired consistency. Add cheese; toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lemon Coconut Squares

1-1/3 cups finely crushed NILLA Wafers
    1 cup sugar, divided
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, melted
    1 tsp. grated lemon peel
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. flour
    1/2 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/3 cup BAKER'S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix wafer crumbs, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the butter and lemon peel until well blended. Press firmly into 8-inch square baking pan. Bake 8 minutes.
    BEAT eggs and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in small bowl with wire whisk until thickened and well blended. Add lemon juice, flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Pour over crust; sprinkle with coconut.
    BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set and top is lightly browned. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate several hours or until chilled. Cut into 20 squares to serve. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lemon Meringue Pie

Ingredients

1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
    6 tablespoon margarine, melted
    ½ cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    4 large eggs, separated
    ¾ sugar
    Directions

Combine crumbs and margarine in large bowl. Press mixture into 9-inch diameter glass pie dish, coating completely. Whisk lemon juice and cornstarch in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk in condensed milk and egg yolks. Stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 8 minutes. Continue to boil 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Spoon hot filling into crust. Cool completely. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill)
    Preheat oven to 450-degrees. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat mixture until stiff and glossy. Spoon meringue over filling, covering completely and sealing at crust edges. Bake until meringue is golden, about 7 minutes. Cool completely. (Can be made 3 hours ahead; refrigerate)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lemon and Pepper Grilled Halibut
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 large garlic clove -- pressed
    12 ounce halibut fillet -- 1 1/2 -inch thick
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon lemon peel -- minced
    lemon wedges

Place lemon juice and garlic clove in small dish. Add halibut and turn to coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush halibut with olive oil. Rub with lemon peel. Season generously with pepper. Season with salt. Grill halibut until cooked through, turning once, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plates and serve with lemon wedges.

Serves 2 -- 5 WW Points per serving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lemon Pork Scaloppine
    1 pound pork tenderloin
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    vegetable cooking spray
    2 teaspoons olive oil -- divided
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon capers
    1/4 cup fresh parsley – minced

1. Trim fat from tenderloin. Cut tenderloin into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place slices between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
    2. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large heavy-duty, zip-top plastic bag; add pork slices. Seal bag, and shake until pork is coated.
    3. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add 1 teaspoon oil, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of pork slices; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a serving plate; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and pork slices; remove skillet from heat.
    4. Add lemon juice, water, and capers to skillet; bring just to a boil. Pour mixture over pork slices; sprinkle with parsley.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Yield 4 servings - 4 WW points per serving

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last one....I promise

Crock Pot Lemon Pudding Cake
    By Clown

3 large eggs separated
    1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 1/2 cups milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside. Beat egg yolks and blend in lemon peel juice and butter and milk. Combine sugar, flour and salt and add to egg milk mixture beating until smooth. Fold into beaten egg whites. Spoon into crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some of those sound really great, I will have lemons in the fall. Mine are Meyers lemons tho, do you think they will work the same???????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mojjo, thanks so much for all those recipes. I should have mentioned that we never eat meat or chicken. I love the look of that crockpot lemon pudding cake. I might try that tonight if I have time enough to make it.

Helen, meyers should be fine with those recipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rhonda, could you juice the lemons and freeze the juice to use for a later date to make lemonade?

Crumb, I'd love to see a tree with lemons on.

I found this, 1500 recipes with lemon in it.

http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/category/lemon.htm

http://www.anniebakes.com/lemon.htm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a recipe but it sounds like it would be great for lemon cough drops, gumdrops, lemonade, lemon rinds for flavoring, lemon marmalade, lemon tea, lemon creme pie, lemon meringue, lemon pound cake, lemon sherbet, canned lemon sections, tropical fruit canned, dehydrated lemon peels, lemon pomanders with cloves.

lemon pudding, lemon bath salts, lemon soap, lemon skin toner, lemon shampoo, lemon punch, lemon furniture polish (distill the lemon oil), lemon wine

Can't think of anything else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have made 20 litres of lemonade, I have about a litre of pure juice, frozen first in ice cube trays and now stored in a plastic container, and a 2 litre container of juice frozen solid. We think alike, CJ. That's what I did first. I also made a lemon meringue pie, about 15 jars of lemon curd and I've been using it, with olive oil, as salad dressing instead of vinegar. I've also preserved a litre jar full with salt and oil. I have 30 lemons in the kitchen and half a tree waiting to be picked. I think I can probably leave them on for another month before they fall off. The blossoms are already there for the next batch Thanks for those links, I'll check them out shortly.

Thanks Patches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast