I need some ideas, please

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb I need some ideas, please

My dd's have gymnastics on Mondays, right at dinner time. We leave at 4pm and get home at 630. At that time, they need to get ready for bed and be there by 7. If they go to bed any later, well, let's just say it isn't pretty. So anyway, feeding them after we get home is not an option. I do give them a larg-ish snack at home before we go, but they need something to eat afterwards.

So far, I've given them: Power bars, PNB & J sandwiches, baby carrots, apples & juice boxes. Well, I tried cold pizza, but they didn't like it cold. They do like McDonalds, but I 1)don't want to pay for it every week and 2) don't want them clogging their arteries every week.

Any ideas for me? Oh, and I'll go check out the 'kids food' area too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why does the pizza have to be cold, is it a time thing? I'd make mini pizzas for them, with a different topping each week, just vegetables and cheese, no meat. You can make the base with your bread dough and have them baked beforehand just reheat them.

Other than that, what about a nice custard with fruit. You could make that before hand and just reheat. Smoothies or toasted sandwiches are quick. Pumpkin soup (or any soup) is quick to make and will stay warm in a thermos.

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What about breakfast-cereal, or waffles or pancakes-make extra on the weekends, then toast or microwave. Even a quick omlette or bowl of oatmeal. A big snack before practice and breakfast after seems like a quick and healthy night- add a slice of cheese for protein and fruit and it would be pretty rounded.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about a make a head chef or pasta salad that you could make the night before.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ds comes to work with me on tues nights, and it is a 5:30-7:30 thing, right after I pick him up from preschool and he is used to dinner by 6. I've been just packing a light dinner for him, same as I would his lunch and he eats when we get there.
    Have you tried a myo lunchable? cheese chunks, pepperoni or cold meat chunks, and crackers. You could add a fruit to round it out.
    Another quick idea is a can of soup with crackers.
    Just about any leftover you could pull out a small serving of for them.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about breakfast burritos? Make them up ahead of time and freeze. When you need one, pop it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and its done. I just checked your girls ages and because their young, you could cut one burrito in half for them.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just thought of another idea. How about muffins? You could even make ham and cheese muffins.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ACK! I wasn't clear! I'm sorry.

They need to eat the snack in the car on the way home.

Once we get home they need to get ready for bed. Even if hot food is waiting, by the time they eat and then get ready for bed, it's too late. The older one has a disorder that flares if she's fatigued and then it literally takes a couple of hours to settle her down. Bedtime is something that we cannot let slide once a week. Generally it can only slide about 3 to 4 times per year.

While soup would stay warm in a thermos, I don't dare let them try to eat it in my van. The myo lunchables would work: lunchmeat, cheese, crackers & fruit.

Your ideas have given me some new inspirations for lunches tho!