Egg Substitutes

Thread: Egg Substitutes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Egg Substitutes

Since we mentioned this in another part of the forum, I wanted to share this link: http://www.vegcooking.com/vegcooking-eggreplace.asp

In Desserts and Sweet, Baked Goods: Try substituting one banana or 1/4 cup applesauce for each egg called for in a recipe for sweet, baked desserts. These will add some flavor to the recipe, so make sure bananas or apples are compatible with the other flavors in the dessert.

Other Egg Replacement Options
    • 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. potato starch
    • 1 egg = 1/4 cup mashed potatoes
    • 1 egg = 1/4 cup canned pumpkin or squash
    • 1 egg = 1/4 cup puréed prunes
    • 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. water + 1 Tbsp. oil + 2 tsp. baking powder
    • 1 egg = 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed simmered in 3 Tbsp. water
    • 1 egg white = 1 Tbsp. plain agar powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water, whipped, chilled, and whipped again
    Egg Replacement Tips
    • If a recipe calls for three or more eggs, it is important to choose a replacer that will perform the same function (i.e., binding or leavening).
    • Trying to replicate airy baked goods that call for a lot of eggs, such as angel food cake, can be very difficult. Instead, look for a recipe with a similar taste but fewer eggs, which will be easier to replicate.
    • When adding tofu to a recipe as an egg replacer, be sure to purée it first to avoid chunks in the finished product.
    • Be sure to use plain tofu, not seasoned or baked, as a replacer.
    • Powdered egg replacers cannot be used to create egg recipes such as scrambles or omelets. Tofu is the perfect substitute for eggs in these applications.
    • If you want a lighter texture and you’re using fruit purées as an egg substitute, add an extra 1/2 tsp. baking powder. Fruit purées tend to make the final product denser than the original recipe.
    • If you’re looking for an egg replacer that binds, try adding 2 to 3 Tbsp. of any of the following for each egg: tomato paste, potato starch, arrowroot powder, whole wheat flour, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, instant potato flakes, or 1/4 cup tofu puréed with 1 Tbsp. flour.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the site and the extra info. I'm gonna print this out and add it to my cooking/baking notes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info. I'd never come across this one before
    • 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. water + 1 Tbsp. oil + 2 tsp. baking powder
    I was able to get some eggs for the normal price a couple days ago, but that tip alone will save me lots of $$!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're welcome. I hope the list is useful. I'm going to try out a few myself. Eggs aren't too terribly expensive here, but we're cutting back on all of our animal products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also use applesauce as a substitute in cake and muffin recipes. We find it makes them tastier and lighter. I use one jar of baby food so it doesn't always have to be applesauce either. A great thing if you get free baby food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought I'd go ahead and post here so I can sub to this thread and then find it again when I need the info.

There is so much great information here that people have posted and to you all ... THANK YOU!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use applesauce to replace some of the oil in baking, like making brownies.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tried making cookies before without eggs. I wanted to make cookies and we did not have any eggs on hand. I did not make any substitutions, I just left out the eggs. The cookies still tasted good, but the consistency was different. It was dry and crumbly - but not dried out in a bad way.

Tofu scramble will look similar to scrambled eggs made with egg whites only. It does not taste the same, in my opinion. I actually like the taste of tofu better than eggs. But egg whites and tofu are both mild flavors and the difference is subtle. You might not notice if you add lots of other things to the scramble. On the other hand - the stir fried rice from Chinese takeout places has these bits that are either tofu or scrambled eggs. I honestly cannot tell which it is.
    KathyB