Different veggies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Different veggies

What kinds of different or unusual veggies do you eat? I'm talking going beyond corn, gr. beans and peas. Since veggies are most of what we eat we have a lot of variety. DH loves brussels sprouts. I like napa cabbage -- also fresh beets. And we both love all kinds of greens. First thing I do when I get beets home is cut off the tops -- nothing better sauted in a little olive oil or water with a little onion and garlic. We also eat turnips and rutabega -- DH misses potatoes sometimes and they aren't bad mashed. Every once in while I buy jicima. I love broccoli, but I guess that isn't very different or unusual. We live in the Midwest so we don't get a lot of really exotic veggies here.

So what are some of the out of the ordinary veggies you eat?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We love edamame (veggie?), beets, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, and dh likes brussel sprouts (he's the only one). We also love zucchini, yellow squash, and spinach.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love brussel sprouts. The only other different veggie I eat is spag. squash.

Katy

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eat lots of diff veggies. Unusual and not mentioned yet...I guess Eggplant, Swiss Chard... still thinking...hubby loves lima beans but I guess that's not technically a veggie...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have never met a veggie I didn't like, LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are a few we can't eat because of DH's stomach. Zuchinni is one of them, but I love it. Sometimes I will buy a zuchinni and a tomato (he can't eat either) and chop them up with a little onion and cook tell just tender -- that's my lunch.

You guys have mentioned some really good ones I had forgotten. We eat quite a bit of spaghetti squash since we don't eat wheat. I also love kale, swiss chard, fresh spinach -- all the dark green leafy stuff. I have to watch it though -- too much makes me sick.

We like most veggies too, but are not so fond of eggplant. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the bitter taste. If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.

A lot of the newer stuff I have been reading has been putting beans in the veggie category. We eat a lot of beans, especially in the winter when the availability of fresh stuff is not so good. DH loves lima beans -- me not so much -- too mushy for my taste.

Actually I was hoping you guys would give me some new ideas or at least remind me of some I tend to forget. You have. Thanks. Keep them coming. I'm sure someone will come up with something I've never heard of.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you want something new to try, go to an Asian/Korean market. When I worked for a Korean dentist, she would snack on what she called Korean sweet potatoes (sweeter than the regular kind) and Korean cucumbers. I never got around to trying them, but they sounded good.

There's also a white radish called Daikon, which looks like a huge (and I mean huge) white carrot. Something different for salads.

And for those who eat bell peppers, but haven't tried all of the different colors, I highly recommend doing so. All the colors I've tried seem to have different tastes. The orange ones are the meatiest and juiciest, which explains why they're often more expensive than the other colors.
    Last edited by TreasureFinder; 08-11-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh I forgot about radishs (the red ones). I'll have to try Daikon. I've seen it at the commissary, but wasn't sure what it was.

There are a few veggies we can't eat (mostly me) because of stomach issues. Tomatoes, cucumbers, & green peppers. Love them, but they do not like me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like red and orange bell peppers, and baby spinach.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

asparagus
    squash (all kinds)
    brussel sprouts
    spinach
    collard greens
    beets
    peas
    artichoke
    radishes
    ummmmmm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eat five servings (minimum) of fruits and veggies every day. Even with all the wonderful choices we have it's still easy to get in a rut. We went to a talk by the dietician at one of our local grocery stores called "Eat Your Colors." She talked about the importance of variety in fruits and veggies. I keep the list she gave us on the fridge, but I do need to look at it more often.

There is a good website for veggie recipes. It used to be the 5aday website, but they changed the name. http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/
    They do include canned fruits and veggies -- I don't. My preference is fresh but I will use a few frozen in the winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love eggplant, black beans, blackeye peas, okra, radish or alfalfa sprouts, pea pods, soy beans, water chestnuts, spinach, kholarabi. I like variety. I've tried them all at one time or another and we keep stocked up on spinach, limas, beans of all kinds, beets, sweet potatoes along with the usual veggies. My dd likes brussel sprouts and broccoli, too. She doesn't care as much for carrots and green beans and corn & potatoes. She only likes her peas frozen, no canned.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We love greens all kinds, broccoli Rabe, kale, and the like
    I also love all the differnt kinds of hard squash.
    Brussell sprouts,
    We will eat just about any kind of veggie here

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nancycg56 View Post
    I have never met a veggie I didn't like, LOL!
    Same here. I try everything once!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yellow summer squash
    Zuchini
    Beets
    Red,yellow,or orange sweet peppers
    Cherry tomatoes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast