Healthy Pantry/Preparing for Winter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Healthy Pantry/Preparing for Winter

I haven't been keeping much of a pantry since we started our whole foods diet. But with winter coming on I think I may need to have a little on hand for when prices go up and if I ever can't get to the store for weather. But I'm not really sure what I need or can keep that we can eat. I have storage space and even more limited freezer space. I'm not looking to stockpile enough food for a year -- just enough to get by if we have problems buying fresh during the winter.

This is my list so far:

Check br. rice, lentils and all beans and buy what is needed to refill the canisters.

Buy an extra bottle of olive oil as well as balsalmic vinegar and try to keep one ahead.

A few cans of beans (esp. black beans and chick peas) for times when I don't think far enough ahead to cook dried.

A few cans of salmon and tuna for emergencies.

Check dried spices.

Frozen veggies -- especially broccoli and the "fancy" mixed veggies (California mix, etc.)

Frozen blueberries -- need to try to keep one ahead.

Cereal -- I mix up my own, but might want to be one ahead on ingredients.

I need to have a good stock of herb tea and sugar free cocoa mix.

Check my supply of frozen salmon and chicken.

Buy and cook a pumpkin for the freezer? I haven't used all my frozen pumpkin from last year yet. But I do have several new pumpkin recipes.

Unsalted peanuts in shell (for DH)

Check supply of walnuts and flax seed (I use both in everything).

Braggs Liquid aminos -- need to keep one ahead.

Need to stock up on gluten free products. Focus on alternative flours -- at least one ahead. Also a few types of gluten-free pasta.

Check sugar substitute and honey. Probably need to stay one ahead on sugar subst.

Natural applesauce (for baking) need to keep one jar ahead.

The price of fresh sweet potatoes just went down (finally) need to stock up.

Watch for fresh cranberries to become available and go on sale (buy 3 or 4 bags -- one for now, others for freezer.) We only have fresh cranberries around the holidays here.

We try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible - so I try to generally stay away from food that comes in a box, jar or can. There are a few exceptions, but I wouldn't buy a case of canned green beans for instance.

Anything I might be missing?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

looks like youve got everything. maybe some baking powder in case you ever feel like blue berry pancakes, or oatmeal/walnut cookies. pancakes are incredibly easy to make from scratch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Genieb...

I'd love to hear more about your whole foods diet. DF and I have been working to get all the processed food out of our lives.. Were about 50% there right now.

Are you following a formal diet or something you came up with yourself? How long have you been doing it? Have you noticed a difference in how you feel? Weightloss? Any other benefits you've noticed?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Izzybeff -- We've been on the path for about two years now -- not totally "there" yet. We started when my trigylcerides and blood sugar results came back high. Diabetes, stroke and heart disease are all problems in my family. We were already doing what the doctor told us to do both diet and exercise wise so started doing our own reseach.

Things have sort of evolved over time. The first thing we did was be sure we get at least 5 servings of fresh fruits and veggies a day. I stopped buying canned fruits and veggies. Then my dh made a list of things that we could eat so I could focus on that more than what we can't eat -- I keep it on the fridge. Then I started giving up things like canned soups (I used a lot of that for cooking before), broth and the like. I also started adding more beans, lentils and whole grains at that time. I was already using whole grain flours and natural sugars/sugar substitutes before we started all this. Boxed mixes also went out along the way.

Then I saw The View the day Elisabeth announced she has celiac disease. My mother was told to stop eating wheat years ago by her chiropractor, but I had never thought about it being a problem for me. But what they were describing explained a lot of things for me. I talked to Bob and he said it could explain some things for him as well. So we started getting rid of gluten in our diet. Most doctors will tell you this is a BIG no no, because once you stop the gluten your body starts to heal and it can't be diagnosed.

We both noticed results fairly quickly. We started out getting rid of the obvious sources of wheat -- bread, pasta, cereal, etc. I didn't start out worrying about "hidden" gluten because it was too much to get my head around. I still don't get as uptight about it as many celiacs do. We did keep oats in for awhile, but took them out when I started going backward.

I chose to focus more on fresh produce, beans and non-glutenous grains rather that looking for gluten free "convenience foods." That doesn't mean I never buy them -- but processed food it still processed food. I just try to limit the "gluten free goodies" to sepcial occasions. I do some baking at home and am still experimenting with alternative flours. My mom and I talk by phone once a week and help each other with the gluten free stuff.

Lately I've been trying to branch out from just plain steamed veggies -- if you've ever seen what I post in "what's for dinner" you will see a lot of veggies and salad greens. I have always loved to cook and miss actually putting ingredients together -- so my latest venture is to find more healthy recipes or experiment with making changes in some of my old recipes. As the weather has been cooling off we have been eating a lot of soup -- I really load it up with veggies. In the winter I sometimes use a cup of a broth based veggie soup as one of our veggies.

We do still eat meat, but I haven't fried anything in years. We try to stay around 4 oz. for a serving. We focus mainly on fish (salmon) and chicken. We eat some beef, but no pork. I used to be a big beef eater, but just started slowing down on it (not really intentionally) as we made the other changes. I rarely find myself craving beef like I used to.

We also eat some low-fat dairy.

I don't buy a lot of condiments anymore. Label reading I was shocked that most condiments seem to contain high fructose corn syrup. I even make my own salad dressing. I also switched to olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I also try to work walnuts, flax seed and blueberries in when I can -- for the triglycerides. I mix buckwheat flakes and puffed brown rice for cereal - I also doctor it up a bit with dried fruit, walnuts and flax seed. I also use a lot of brown rice.

I think the specifics of what to eat varies from person to person based on body type and health concerns. What we do is not going to work for everybody.

It hasn't always been easy for me. Even taking things out of the diet in stages (I wouldn't go cold turkey) and adding new things I still have moments of feeling deprived. I have my moments of "why me?" -- especially since I have always tried to eat healthy food. All it really takes to remind me why I do it is to let myself "slip" -- I end up paying for it by feeling bad.

I feel much better. My blood sugar went down right away. We're still battling the triclycerides, but I think I'm fighting heredity there. But overall I just feel better -- I lived with chronic diareha for years -- that's gone. So are the joint aches I used to have and am doing much better with hormonal issues. I think Bob has had even better health results than I have though. Weight loss -- not really, but we haven't really been trying.

Whoaaaa. Time to stop and take a breath. Didn't mean to get so long winded.

So what have you been doing? You may be farther along than we are. Like I said we're still working on it, but I'm not sure we will every really be totally there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

latierra84 -- Thanks for the reminded on the baking powder. I always forget to check that kind of stuff then when I want to use it I'm out.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You said you mix up your own cereal - is that cold or hot? if it's cold, how do you make it. I made cereal once but it was awful. That is one of the few processed foods left in our house and I would like to eliminate it if possible, but my kids aren't interested in porridge.

Also, you mention that you need to stock frozen vegetables for times when fresh isn't available - not sure if you are buying frozen or freezing fresh, but broccoli in particular is really easy to freeze yourself. You just steam it for a few minutes then pack it in a bag, press out the air and throw it in the freezer. You control the quality and the packing conditions, rather than getting low grade produce shipped in from halfway around the world.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The cereal is cold. I buy a bag of buckwheat flakes and a bag of puffed brown rice from Whole Foods Market. I add walnuts, flax seed and rasins or other dried fruit. You could also add unsweetened coconut -- I'm sure there are other other more kid friendly ingredients that are also healthy. I also sometimes add sliced banana, blueberries or yogurt as I'm geting ready to eat it.

I used to make my own granola till we gave up oats. I'm still trying to figure out hot cereal.

You could really use any kind of unsweetend or lower sugar cereal for the base -- I'm sure there are many out there that are cheaper than what I buy at Whole Foods Market.

I do freeze some veggies -- I froze quite a bit of corn this summer. I also freeze a lot of broccoli. But I don't have enough room to freeze enough to last the winter. That's why I was thinking I might have to go to frozen. But I probably should work on freezing at least a little more before the prices go up. Thanks for the reminder. I bought a big bag of carrots last week on sale some of those could go in the freezer.

I really need a stand alone freezer, but we live in a tiny space and just don't know where we would put even a small one. So I just have to make do with the freezer compartment of my fridge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your diet is very similar to ours. We still eat wheat but I try to limit the portions.I do like wheat germ. I used your idea of making a wrap with a lettuce leaf.It was different, but tasty.I freeze fresh strawberries for winter. I also like to use prunes in place of the applesauce on occasion.Otherwise, your pantry is identical to mine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried to edit my last message but typed too long and ran out of time.

The cereal is one of the processed foods we still have too. But I try to buy the basic whole grain unsweetened or naturally sweetened cereal (the stuff that tastes like cardboard) and doctor it up. That way I keep out of lot the processed sugar and other bad stuff out at least. And it does taste better than cardboard after I'm finished with it. At least dh likes it and he's the real cereal fan -- me not so much, but I will eat this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    Otherwise, your pantry is identical to mine.
    Thanks for the confirmation on the pantry. This is new to me becuase I haven't really had much of one since we changed the way we eat.

I usually try to freeze at least a few strawberries too, but local strawberries weren't very good this year due to bad weather. In the past I've bought apples from the fruit farm and canned my own applesauce as well, but the apple trees got hit with a severe freeze this year so I'm not sure what they've got this year.

I'd been going along this year buying fresh and then all of a sudden the cool weather hit and I realized I wasn't sure what I was going to do this winter.

I've never tried prunes to replace the fat in baking -- how does that work for you?

DH was a big sandwich eater. He likes the lettuce wraps, but I agree they are different. It helps to have really large lettuce leaves -- otherwise they keep coming unwrapped.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like using applesauce better, but use the prunes for variety.It works in a similar manner to replace the fat. I try to chop the prunes or puree them as finely as I can.I will research the whole foods diet more. It sounds like I could use many of the ideas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice pantry you've got there Genieb,
    Mine is stocked much the same, though I also get a bunch
    of boca & morning star farms soy products in the freezer when I can get
    them on sale w/ coupons.

We stock up on a lot of herbal teas, maple syrup, honey, garlic, onions,
    potatoes,Vegetable bouillon & braggs, Rice & tahini too.
    I also try to keep on hand things to make a few quick favorites like cornbread
    made from the jiffy muffin mixes.
    I keep lots of bulk curry, tumeric & cayenne pepper.

Fortunately we don't have a wheat problem, but I try to alternalte between
    a variety of grains.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    I like using applesauce better, but use the prunes for variety.It works in a similar manner to replace the fat. I try to chop the prunes or puree them as finely as I can.I will research the whole foods diet more. It sounds like I could use many of the ideas.
    Jerry Seinfeld's wife was on tv this week with a cookbook that she just wrote about how she sneaks vegetables into her kids foods. I don't think the actual recipes would be any use to you, as it seemed to be mostly baked goods and other foods that would be high in gluten, but I thought the concept was really interesting. The vegetables are all pureed and seemed to be used in ways that would replace fat and other liquids in recipes. One thing that she seemed to use a lot of was pureed sweet potato, which I would think would do double duty as a replacement for both fat and sugar. I guess you would have to do your own experiments, but it's something to consider.

PS. Thanks for the cereal ideas, I will see what kind of basics are available around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to see if I can find that book -- it sounds really interesting. Thanks for metioning it. I've tried a few things like using shredded carrots or cooked lentils to replace bread crumbs or oatmeal as the extender in meatloaf. But I haven't really tried much with the baking other than applesauce or mashed banana. I think the cookies tend to be a tad dry with the banana. I also found that you need to keep cookies made with the applesauce or other fruit in the fridge or freezer. I didn't think about that and lost a batch of cookies I left in a covered container on the counter, just a couple of days after baking them.

I've been doing substitutions in recipes for years. But now, I'm not so sure you can substitute out everything in a recipe and still have it work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

She put chickpeas in her cookies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast