bread won't rise

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default bread won't rise

I have a problem with my bread! It goes along fine, until I get it into the pans for the second rising. It won't even come up to the top of the pan! I am working with the Betty Crocker Basic Bread recipe, and have made it about 6 times. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have used bottled yeast, then bulk yeast. I have let it rise in my oven with warm water under it, on my stove top, and on top of my heat stove. DH is wondering how many loaves of dense bread he needs to eat! I mix by hand, but did just get a food processor, so I don't know if that would be easier? Can anyone help me? Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention that I have also added wheat gluten to the mix, as the lady at the whole food store told me that it would make the bread rise. no go. thanks again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hi I'm also having "fun" learning to make bread. 1.) what type of flour are you using wheat, white, spelt etc? are you covering the pans with a towel on the second rise? Does the dough rise the first time? Also I let my dough rise in the oven turn it on until it's just slightly warm. this works great just when i take the bread out to heat up the oven the dough collapses not colmpletely just enough to have flat top bread. I'm going to try leaving my loaves in teh oven and just turning it on and see what happens.

I'm not sure that i can help much just share the mistakes i've made.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bread certainly is trial and error, you could be either under-kneading the dough (in which case you might try the food processor, or the dough cycle of a bread machine if you have one) or you could be letting the dough over-rise on the first rise. I know it sounds weird but you can let it over-rise and then it just falls and will not rise again. I tend to use my bread machines dough setting for making bread (this was the best purchase I ever made) and then I take out and shape and let it rise in the pan in a warm oven. To the other poster, I just turn the oven on when I am ready to bake my bread, I do not remove it from the oven to pre-heat. Never had a problem doing this. Good luck ladies, even those of us that have been doing the bread thing for awhile have our moments. I had a period of time about 2 months ago where I just could not get a loaf of bread to turn out right, I finally just got new flour and yeast and it solved the problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have done it! thanks for the tips on getting the bread to rise. I think I was letting it rise too much the first time. Every loaf has been great since I changed it up a little. I am using the bread machine for the dough cycle, then transfering to a bread pan for the rising, which is in the oven. even if i don't prewarm it it seems to work. (Maybe from the pilot light?) don't know, but it works! Thank you so much for the info!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I enjoy reading as today is my first attempt and I have 2 loaves of wheat rising - been rising for 3 hrs now....yikes!