Whole Wheat or No Wheat crackers
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Whole Wheat or No Wheat crackers

I think this are supposed to be a wheat thins cracker. We don't buy wheat thins because my kids have some kinda wheat allergy/celiac thingy so I adapted this recipe to be gluten free. These were really good, and just slightly sweet. I bet they'd go great with a dip. I might try to reduce the sugar and add some onion or garlic next time. Original recipe calls for margarine, but I used butter.

Original Whole Wheat crackers

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
    1 1/2 cups white flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp of salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup margarine or butter
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup wheat germ

Sift the first five ingredients together. Add the margarine and process in a food processor. Add the buttermilk and process until it forms a ball. Set aside for 10 minutes. Cut the dough into four parts. Grease cookie sheets and sprinkle them with the wheat germ. Roll each dough piece out on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Cut into diamond shapes with a pastry wheel. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and put into a covered container.
    I'm leaving the instructions as is, but I didn't actually make them this way. I rolled mine out on a pastry board and used a small round biscuit cutter to make my crackers circular, transferring them to the cookie sheet after they were rolled out. I left out the sprinkling of salt. I think these are probably better the thinner they are. I might try to roll them out on the sheet next time.
    No-Wheat Thins

1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
    1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
    2 tsps xanthan gum
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup rice bran

Sift the first six ingredients together. Add the butter and process in a food processor. Add the buttermilk, and process it until it forms a ball. Set aside for 10 minutes. Cut the dough into four parts. Grease cookie sheets and sprinkle with rice bran. Roll each dough piece out onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Cut into diamond shapes with a pastry wheel. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and put in covered container.
    Let me know if there's anything wrong with these recipes, like glaring ommissions or missing steps. If you try them please let me know how they turn out, thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nishu I will have to try them they sound good. Thanks.