Arkansas Mother Gives Birth to 16th Child
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Arkansas Mother Gives Birth to 16th Child

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1208701

Arkansas Mother Gives Birth to 16th Child

Arkansas Mother Gives Birth to 16th Child; Husband Says She's Ready to Have More Children

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. Oct 13, 2005 — Michelle Duggar just delivered her 16th child, and she's already thinking about doing it again. Johannah Faith Duggar was born at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday and weighed 7 pounds, 6.5 ounces.

The baby's father, Jim Bob Duggar, a former state representative, said Wednesday that mother and child were doing well. Johannah's birth was especially exciting because it was the first time in eight years the family has had a girl, he said.

Jim Bob Duggar, 40, said he and Michelle, 39, want more children.

"We both just love children and we consider each a blessing from the Lord. I have asked Michelle if she wants more and she said yes, if the Lord wants to give us some she will accept them," he said in a telephone interview.

The Discovery Health Channel filmed Johannah's birth and plans to air a show about the family in May.

The Learning Channel is doing another show about the family's construction project, a 7,000-square foot house that should be finished before Christmas. The home, which the family from the northwest Arkansas town of Rogers has been building for two years, will have nine bathrooms, dormitory-style bedrooms for the girls and boys, a commercial kitchen, four washing machines and four dryers.

Jim Bob Duggar, who sells real estate, previously lost his bid for the U.S. Senate. He said he expects to run for the state Senate next year but isn't ready to make a formal announcement.

Michelle Duggar, 39, had her first child :at age 21, four years after the couple married.

Their children include two sets of twins, and each child has a name beginning with the letter "J": Joshua, 17; John David, 15; Janna, 15; Jill, 14; Jessa, 12; Jinger, 11; Joseph, 10; Josiah, 9; Joy-Anna, 8; Jeremiah, 6; Jedidiah, 6; Jason, 5; James, 4; Justin, 2; Jackson Levi, 1; and now Johannah.

In this photo released by the Discovery Health Channel, Jim Bob Duggar and his wife Michelle pose at a Rogers, Ark., hospital as she holds their 16th child Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2005. Their daughter was born Tuesday at St. Mary's Hospital in Rogers. (AP Photo/Discovery Health Channel, Spencer Tirey)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think this is a wonderful story. If they can afford it, enjoy children and her health is good, it's an incredible story.

My one concern would be her health.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I read on CNN she's already wanting another.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How can you give each child the time & love they need with so many?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw the show on Discovery or whatever & I loved it! Can't wait till the next one. I just the warm fuzzies about it.

I'm so glad for these people.

They're building this house with no debt.

You should see them at the grocery store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Darlene, I know a lady who has 13, homeschools and gives loves to each child without a problem. They are a wonderful family with high values and their kids are well adjusted and eager to help. They also are involved in a number of outside activites from their home.

Some people can do it. I'm sure though there are some who can't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In cases like this I often wonder how the kids feel, because with the best will in the world you can't give each individual child much attention ( due to numbers and pressure of time) I don't think I would have been happy been one of 16............(my Mother was one of 14 during the war, so I know her views on this!)

If they REALLY love the kids, then how about ASKING them how THEY feel about another child in the family?

I have seen programs about big families like this on TV and it is interesting that when the interviews get up close and personal with each child, they said without exception that they didn't felt they did not had enough time with their parents on a one to one basis

So MY question to the parents would be WHO benefits from such a huge family? the parents of course they get to feel "needed" for much longer and thus fullfill their needs but what about the poor kids?

Good on them being able to afford such a large family, over here in the UK they would have that number on benefits just to get more money

Just my 10 cents

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With all due respect.......

In my state, home daycare providers are allowed to have 10 chldren in their homes. This doesn't include their *own* children if they're over the age of 8. Many working mothers' children spend a majority of the day in these settings.

Considering that 6 of 16 the Duggar's children are 11 and over, that's consistant with state regulations for a daycare provider. Plus, she's got the maternal bond with them.

She home-schools. She's spending more time with her kids than I do....my oldest is gone from 7:30 to 4 & then evening activities.

*I* personally do not hold these same religeous beliefs, but I do not feel that this is detrimental to their children's development.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel for the kids.I'm one of seven...... When I was growing up my mother had a friend who and 13 children the first one she named Faith the last one grief(true) I had 4 but raise 6. I didn't even have time for me. I spent as much time with mine as I could but for some of them it wasn't enough. Same with my mother. It did'nt matter what birth control she used she still got pg. She had 7 living 2 still born and a miscarriage. Even if you can afford a large family it still might not be the best for the kids... JMOP
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I shudder to think what would happen to the children if their mother or father should pass away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have seen and read several articles and broadcasts about this family and the children seem very well adjusted and happy. This family has a plan and a system that they use of buddying a younger sibling with an older sibling and they all get time with the parents too. They are debt free and seem to be an incredibly loving and well adjusted family. I am sure that if there were problems in the family the politicians on the opposing party would have been more than blissfully happy to broadcast that when Jim Bob Duggar ran for his house seat and in his senate run also.

I know I could never manage a family of this size but they seem to do it wonderfully so my hats off to them. I wish them all the happiness and blessings in the world. JMO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wonder how the public would feel when he does run for Senate. A man with sixteen children -- would it not be brought to light that these 16 young people should occupy his time moreso than the concerns of his state? Or that, if in an instance where one or more of his children (or even his wife, for that matter) are either sick or injured, should they not take priority over his political affairs? Or, given that he has so many children, would he be the kind of father who would shrug off his children's extracuricular activities to attend to the matters at hand, or would he forgo the meetings and elections to see a soccor game, a music recital or a trip to the zoo?

I do not say that a person who runs for a political position should be a single unmarried individual with no ties outside of their public responsibilities -- I'm simply saying that, as an individual, I would take these facts into consideration before I decided to vote for him. A man who believes it is a good idea to have so many children should first be able to take responsibility for these sixteen children before he can even consider the responsibilities to his state and kinsmen. I would rather see him taking care of his children than taking care of my tax money.

However, I am Canadian and don't vote. So my views are not overly valuable in this situation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a few families on our area that have "lots' of kids.

One family, named their 13th child Welcome- they said they didn't want him to ever think that they felt he was unlucky or unwanted! He loves his name , and his family.

Another family has 21 kids (one dad, one mom- no multiple births, no adoptions). They are probably the nicest, most respected family in our town. The kids all seem well adjusted, and the older ones help take care of the little ones by sewing clothes, etc.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Where I grew up, in a largely Catholic small town, this was not out-of-the-ordinary at all. Catholics belive that using birthcontrol is the same as murdering a child (to some extent, at least that's what I was taught thru-out my education). As the years go by, more and more are disregarding that belief, in favor of smaller families, but it's still a fairly common mindset among the deeply devout. I say hats off to them if they can afford it. The people I get upset over are the ones who have fertility drugs, have 7 babies, and ask the state to care for help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well....I personally loved the story. If they want all of the children that the Lord gives them then good for them. I have four and would love to have more but it doesn't look like that's going to happen, atleast anytime soon. On another note, I am an only child and my parents never hardly spent a second with me and today I so wish that I had a sibling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast