Things to do..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to do..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile Things to do..

What are some of your favorite activities to do with your family and be able to keep the costs down??

I know that we like to go to my mother in laws and go to the beach. We don't have to pay for hotel expenses, pay her about 20.00 for the extra food she may not have had to buy, and I get to do my laundry before I go home.. There is no fee for going to the beach. So all I have to do is spend the money on gas and a snack for the family IF they need it. A trip for all of us is any where from 3 days to a week and could cost at most 200.00. We could always go for the day and spend just as much on food, drinks, and trinkets.

During the summer I try to take advantage of the free lunch program in the park. Then afterwards the kids can play and have a good time. There is also a summer program that is free to the kids.

Do any of you have an idea on what else could be done? Thanks...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check out your local library. Our library has a summer reading program. They have free entertainment for the kids once a week and they get coupons for free items from area businesses.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My parents get the kids a membership to the Farm Park. My kids love it. There are picnic tables, playground equipment & animals. Could be an all day outing or just a few minutes!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we go to the budget matineee where tickets are 3 dollars a person

we only go once a month

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we also play scrabble and battleship...

I like scrabble because it helps them be smarter. my husband stopped me when I wanted to teach them latin. lol
    he said it was only FUN.. to me, not them
    lol

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We try to do free things for the most part. We have a membership to a museum that we do a few times a year. We splurge on special things just a couple of times a year. The library is a great resource for free things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We go camping (you can usually find lots of gear on craigslist used - super cheap). Our local movie theatre also does free movies on Tuesdays in teh summer (one G, one PG).

Have you heard of letterboxing? Its a lot of fun for school aged kids. You can check it out here: http://www.letterboxing.org/ My kids aren't quiet old enough to appreciate it yet - but I can't wait!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the summer, my DD and I ride bikes alot instead of using the car, thus saving gas, we play alot of games in the summer to avoid wanting to go out and spend and we go to the library for books and activities and of course so I can go on the net, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We go camping and fishing. We also like to take day trips to state parks in our area and just check them out. We pack a picnic lunch, take the fishing gear, swimsuits and towels and just spend the day exploring the park!

We also spend alot of time at home reading, gardening, playing outside, etc. Just taking it easy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our local zoo has a great yearly family pass, there is also a really nice amusement park close by where all the rides are 50 cents or less. More for younger children but it is still fun and affordable. We used to go to the local lake and swim but last year it was disgusting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A picnic lunch (full out meal of something you don't eat everyday at home) is always a treat (moreso for the kids... ) and then a great game of frisbee or something like that makes a great memory. Be sure to take your camera and get some great pics of simple outings. Those are the memories they'll sit around and talk about when they're grown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wanted to add....

Buy some water guns (when the kids aren't around), save em for the picnic in the park day....fill em, load em without them knowing about it and after the meal whip em out and surprise em with em. They'll love that. (especially if you play too)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

We have a local swimming hole, so that's where we're at most of the time! Also, exploring the area, nature hikes, picnics. We lived in an area for a few years that had free movies in the park. Very cool, It reminded me of a drive in movie, but instead of cars, you're laid out on a blanket in the park. Also, I always get great books from the library and we do a lot of science and art activities. I have had the kids keep a nature journal every summer. They draw pictures, press flowers and plants, add photos, etc. I guess it's a summer scrapbook. Places we've been and seen. We always go camping at least once, and I save money during the year to go to an orchard in my state. It's a fun experience for the kids and we come home with a lot of fruit to can. Even going to the farmer's market can be a great experience for us. I also like to get the kids involved with cooking in the summer. They like to plan a few ethnic meals, usually asian. I might spend a little extra on ingredients, but it's much less than going out for chinese food. And, bowling! We have so much fun, (we usually go a few x during th summer), and it is relatively cheap! Now I am getting more and more excited for summer! I think we have had our last hard freeze, and summer is almost here. Yay!!!

I think the library is the place to start. Great books with great activities. Plus, they usually have a local publication with listings of activities. Many free. Also check parks and rec.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieRose View Post
    I wanted to add....

Buy some water guns (when the kids aren't around), save em for the picnic in the park day....fill em, load em without them knowing about it and after the meal whip em out and surprise em with em. They'll love that. (especially if you play too)
    I love that! Great idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We go for lots of walks to the park, blow a lot of bubbles, play badminton, "fish" in the stream, spend lots of time at the library, and after the initial investment this year, play on the Wii.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast