Feeling Guilty-We're taking a vacation
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Feeling Guilty-We're taking a vacation

Last night I reserved a family cabin at Holiday World/Surfin' Safari. I'm feeling guilty already. We have the money saved, we'll be able to cook our meals in the cabin, drinks are free at the park, and it's been four years since we went anywhere but....I feel like I should put that money in the bank or on the house. I hate that I can never really enjoy spending any non-essential money, even though I know that's dumb. Anybody else have spending guilt?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A little fun is always nice especially when you can pay cash for it. I say stop feeling guilty and go have a wonderful time. I always have spending guilt but remember that's what i save and live simply for....to enjoy life....after all..life is too short for constant worry and no fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have spending guilt for a little while after I make a purchase but then I remember how far I have come. I used to be the charge now pay later type person. I managed to rack up thousands in debt as you can see below but I stopped using my credit card last October and only use cash now. I am making significant in roads towards my debt but still manage to enjoy life. I have stated in the past that although living frugally is important you also have to enjoy life now. Go on your vacation and have a great time. The memories you will create will remain long after your debt is gone. Hope you have a blast!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I felt the same way when I made reservations for our family vacation. We haven't had a vacation forever, but I still feel like we should be saving the money or paying down a cc. But DD is 16 and this could be the last vacation together so we are doing it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Depends on what I am spending it on...

As bad as things are right now... we are trying to plan a weekend get away this summer.

Can that money go towards the bills? Yup...
    Could I put the money in a savings account? Sure...
    Do I want my DD to grow up and have no memories except Momma running around trying to pick pennies off the ground? NO!

Don't feel guilty... a cabin with home-cooked meals and family bonding is a far cry from a week in France!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel like that too, but DH and I are still planning to take a cruise next winter As long as we have the money saved and won't be needing to put anything on CC's......I think I'll be cool with it ....LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just parted with over $3k recently so I know how you feel. It was all for a good cause, but still...it was $3k. No credit cards, it was all out of savings cash, but still. Ouch.

It will be worth it though. What is the point of saving money if you never going to do anything with it? Can't take it with you...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

I agree. I want my children, (and me and dh), to have great memories. I know vacations are not the only good memories to be made, but vacations are all about family time. We just reserved a cabin on the beach for this summer, and actually, I have no guilt over it. It is planned spending and will be worth it. I am just grateful we are able to do it. We will be able to cook most of our food as well, but we will go out a few times because it is a special occassion, and we hardly ever go out. Enjoy yourselves! We will also! And when I get home, I will probably be twice as frugal to make up for the trip.

Also, I've already bought some of the food and supplies we will be taking with us, so that it doesn't hit us all at once. I think you can definately be frugal about vacations!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DD gets out of school Friday, June 13th... the following Monday, the Old Man and I are taking her deep sea fishing (a mini-run, only 4 hours). She loves fishing in the little pond out back, but we can't eat those, so we have to toss them back. It's not going to be cheap. If we catch anything, we can keep it, so that's a perk... but being able to give her a memory is worth the price.

I am also going to take her camping.... just her and I... alone... in the woods... with bears... skunks... skeeters... but it's something she really wants to do.

I have to go for surgery. If all goes well, I will be out of commission for about a month... if all doesn't go well... I want my DD to have something fun to remember me by. I know... sounds morbid, but it's true. I can't give her much financially, but memories are priceless.