Duggars Laundry soap recipe: - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make my own laundry soap... I add a bit more because my husband gets very dirty..... the boys did too!

Powder Laundry Soap

1 cup of borax
    1 cup of washing soda
    1 bar of soap grated (I use Zote)
    Use 1-2 Tbsp. per load.

to this I add
    1 cup Biz
    1 cup Oxi-Clean

For our dirty clothes it works great!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Zote-Soap-14-1-oz/dp/B0026LA91Q/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306725901&sr=1-1-catcorr"]Amazon.com: Pink Zote Soap 14.1 oz: Home & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WH%[email protected]@[email protected]@41WH%2BAGYy4L[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

any bar soap can be used, of course Fels Naptha , Zote and others are made for laundry, but if you have sensitive skin use what you use for bath soap.

Ivory
    Colgate Octagon
    Pure and Natural
    Zest
    Kirk's Castile Soap
    Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap (Australia, England, Japan, US, Canada)
    Zote Soap
    Lever 2000
    Sunlight Bar Soap
    Lirio

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronner-Citrus-Castile-Liquid/dp/B001AOZ78A/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306725966&sr=1-2-catcorr"]Amazon.com: Dr. Bronner - Citrus Castile Liquid Soap, 32 fl oz liquid: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21h-K%[email protected]@[email protected]@21h-K%2BPSVxL[/ame]

Use what you have on hand!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Homemade detergent functionality will depend on the type of water you have. If you have soft water vs hard water or where in between will determine to results. For us, we have hard water and find it leaves everything dingy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

linking like threads together

[ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110732"]The cost of homemade laundry detergent - Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

[ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112841"]Powder or Liquid Laundry Soap?? - Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FYI,

We found washing soda at the local hardware store. Apparently, some of the hunters use it on pelts!

JD

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I am going to look for the washing soda at my Publix. I though I found it at Walmart, but it was baking soda.

Thanks Again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The washing soda will be in the laundry section of a store. The Arm and Hammer box looks alot like the small box used for cooking. Same yellow color, same emblem, just bigger in size and in the laundry section.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use homemade laundry soap intermittenly (depending on how lazy I am if I'm out) but always keep a bottle of liquid store bought. If I notice that a load of say, work clothes is really dirty, I'll use the store bought. And if things are looking a little dingy I'll use store bought plus some oxiclean (which I will use with home made depending on the need) or dry bleach or borax added. I've used it for a few years now and my clothes always look great. I don't have little kids though and didn't use it when I did (didn't know about it then...when I needed it the most).

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Borax-Natural-Laundry-Multi-Purpose-Household/dp/B000R4LONQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306726020&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster & Multi-Purpose Household Cleaner 76 oz (2.15 kg): Health & Personal [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51NBYlQS8ZL[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have trouble finding Washing Soda, check a store that carries swimming pool supplies for Sodium Carbonate to use instead. It's also less expensive.

If you make the liquid version of homemade detergent, ZOTE soap is less expensive than Fels Naptha and also contains optical brightners that will make the laundry appear "cleaner" and "brighter". The citronella scent is also nice.

If you make the powdered version, additions of Cascade Dishwashing Detergent and/or OxiClean may aid cleaning for those of you with hard water - BUT, that also adds to the cost.

Caution using cold water for washing... If your water is too cold, your homemade detergent won't work.

Water Temperature Recommendations

HOT (120-140 degrees F.) - white and heavily soiled colorfast items

WARM (85-105 degrees F.) - most loads

COLD (65-75 degrees F.) - only very bright colors with light soil

Cold water below 65 degrees F. is not recommended for washing.

NOTE: Detergent manufacturers and care labels define cold water as 80-85 F. If the temperature of water in the tub is too cold for your hands, the detergent will not activate and clean effectively.
    Last edited by Grainlady; 02-02-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For fabric softener, I find a mixture of equal parts vinegar to water works just fine for me. I used to use straight vinegar, but then I found that half as much was just as effective. Win-win!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for posting this. I plan on getting all the ingredients this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use this recipe! And I think it's great! It does make the 10 gallons as stated...because the initial 5 gallons is then diluted in half as you make batches up in your containers! I think the smell is great, it's clean and fresh, and my clothes come out clean. I still find it a little weird it doesn't suds up...but I'll get over it...and you can't beat the price!! I get all the ingredients right at my Local Price Chopper(chain grocery store) because most other stores in my area don't carry the ingredients. I try and get a stockpile of the ingredients....since they don't seem to be a "popular" item...I'm afraid one of these days they will stop selling it...so I have about 4 bars of the FelsNaptha soap on hand and extra washing soda...Borax is easy to find and I don't think that will be discontinued or anything...But I highly recommend trying it to anyone who hasn't yet!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

I don't understand that sentence. My soap dispenser is in my washer, so how can I add water and SHAKE? Is it suppose to say laundry soap jug?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post

Caution using cold water for washing... If your water is too cold, your homemade detergent won't work.
    I start every load with HOT water. In an empty machine I start the water then add my hm soap. After the bottom of my washer is full is usually when I can change to my cold water. All works well after that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you have a top loader? I don't know if that would work on my front end loader.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast