Duggars Laundry soap recipe: - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thefrug View Post
    -Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

I don't understand that sentence. My soap dispenser is in my washer, so how can I add water and SHAKE? Is it suppose to say laundry soap jug?
    I think it means they use a big jug that has the pump type dispenser on it that dispenses the liquid soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only have a cold water hook up to my front loader. So will this not work well? I would love to try it but if it is not going to work I don't want to waste the money and bus fair getting around town to get everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am getting ready to try and make my own laundry and dishwashing soap I hope everything goes well I will post my results after I try it with a few loads

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[QUOTE=Rhiamon;1171549]I only have a cold water hook up to my front loader. QUOTE]

Is this typical of the front loaders? Not familiar with them and just asking.......

I still have a top loader.

I can still buy the powder cheap enough and I don't have the time to make my own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking

2 days ago I made the Duggars Laundry soap and have done 5 loads of laundry 1 whites and 4 colors, (the clothes were left on the back porch while I was in Colorado for my hubby's adopted mothers funeral) the kids forgot to let the dogs out or clean the cat boxes so unfortunately for me the animals used the back porch as the potty room so the clothes were really bad, I thought that they would not be able to save them but I made the soap and and washed the clothes and they all came out completely clean and smelled great my dh and roommate could not believe how well the clothes came clean and smelled great, I could not believe how well it worked it did better then the Era that I had bought, I have a front loader so I have to buy the expensive HE soap. I used about 1/3 of cup instead of 1/4 because of how dirty the clothes were I am going to try and use the 1/4 cup on the regular laundry. my DH figured out the cost to be 3 loads for a penny which is great I can't believe that something that cost so little to make really works better then the expensive stuff. I am doing a happy dance right now. Now I am going to try and make the dish washer soap (my next big expense beside diapers) going to cloth soon, I think the next time I make a batch of the laundry soap I am going to try a different type of bar soap, maybe one I have on hand instead of buying one. Sorry for the long post but I am just so happy I wanted to let everyone know how well it worked and it took me only about 10 minutes to make so time wise it is worth it.(IMO).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is great the good job it did.

I love using HM laundry soap. Never made it for dishwasher tho.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by schellie69 View Post
    2 days ago I made the Duggars Laundry soap and have done 5 loads of laundry 1 whites and 4 colors, (the clothes were left on the back porch while I was in Colorado for my hubby's adopted mothers funeral) the kids forgot to let the dogs out or clean the cat boxes so unfortunately for me the animals used the back porch as the potty room so the clothes were really bad, I thought that they would not be able to save them but I made the soap and and washed the clothes and they all came out completely clean and smelled great my dh and roommate could not believe how well the clothes came clean and smelled great, I could not believe how well it worked it did better then the Era that I had bought, I have a front loader so I have to buy the expensive HE soap. I used about 1/3 of cup instead of 1/4 because of how dirty the clothes were I am going to try and use the 1/4 cup on the regular laundry. my DH figured out the cost to be 3 loads for a penny which is great I can't believe that something that cost so little to make really works better then the expensive stuff. I am doing a happy dance right now. Now I am going to try and make the dish washer soap (my next big expense beside diapers) going to cloth soon, I think the next time I make a batch of the laundry soap I am going to try a different type of bar soap, maybe one I have on hand instead of buying one. Sorry for the long post but I am just so happy I wanted to let everyone know how well it worked and it took me only about 10 minutes to make so time wise it is worth it.(IMO).
    Hi

When I went to buy my front loader the salesperson told me I had to buy h/e soap and I said then I wasn't going to buy it because I had too much laundry soap at home. He then checked the book and said I could use 1/2 of regular soap to wash my clothes. I've been doing it for over 4 years and have had no problem. Just thought I'd let you know or any other person reading this if they wanted to know

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    Hi

When I went to buy my front loader the salesperson told me I had to buy h/e soap and I said then I wasn't going to buy it because I had too much laundry soap at home. He then checked the book and said I could use 1/2 of regular soap to wash my clothes. I've been doing it for over 4 years and have had no problem. Just thought I'd let you know or any other person reading this if they wanted to know
    I would be careful I did alot of research when I bought my front loader and found out theat if u use non HE soap and somthing goes wrong with the washer and it can be said that the suds from the non HE soap did something that it would void the warrenty and you are responsiable for the cost of the repair the reason u r supposed to be use HE soap is beacause the additive used to make it suds has been removed. if You are going to use regular soap use like
    1/8th the amount Using homemade soap works in front loads because it does not suds which if suds gets into the motor or other parts can cause major problems so be very careful with front loading machines and if not using HE or homemade soap be very careful of the amount u use, due to sudsing, I don't feel like taking the chance of voiding my warrenty by using regular soap on my front loader I just gave my non HE soap to friends and dontate some to the charities that needed it, So just a little info I have found just thought I would share it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry this may be a dumb question but what is the difference between the borax and washing soda? I always thought borax was washing soda, and the people at the store didn't know what either one was.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

borax is more like a stain remover while washing soda can be used for cleaning many things I used both when i made the soap but add a little more Borax because I have kids that have lots of stains You can also add some baking soda to help with odors on cloths that is how I understand that difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, thanks.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just read though this recipe again preparing for a new batch of homemade laundry detergent and I wanted to try this recipe, anyway, this might be a stupid question and maybe I'm just reading it wrong but how can the liquid soap recipe that is made in a 5 gallon bukcket yield 10 gallons?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    I just read though this recipe again preparing for a new batch of homemade laundry detergent and I wanted to try this recipe, anyway, this might be a stupid question and maybe I'm just reading it wrong but how can the liquid soap recipe that is made in a 5 gallon bukcket yield 10 gallons?
    You fill your containers only half way full of the soap solution and then fill the rest with water.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, so the one recipe makes 2 5 gallon buckets? I must have missed that in the directions.

Thanks,
    Polly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Okay, so the one recipe makes 2 5 gallon buckets? I must have missed that in the directions.

Thanks,
    Polly
    Yes, I'm not sure it's mentioned. I just made my first batch last night.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast