Duggars Laundry soap recipe: - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Soap or detergent?

To Grainlady or anyone else who knows the answer,

I apologize in advance for being so thick headed. Are Zote and Fels Naptha soap or detergents? I live in a hard water area. I am concerned about the environment, saving money and clean clothes. If these laundry bars are detergent based will they work in cold water with my hard alkaline water supply? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This recipe has my interest piqued.

Quick question...will this be safe for septic systems? We live in the country and I need to make sure. Don't want anything to kill all my little digesters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Laundry detergent

I Found the Fels-Naptha soap and the Arm & Hammer Laundry Baking Soda at Ace Hardware Store. The 20 Mule Borax was in the grocery store in the cleaning aisle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Laundry Detergent

I found the Fels-Naptha Soap and the Arm & Hammer Laundry Baking Soda at Ace Hardware. The 20 Mule Team Borax was in the cleaning aisle at the grocery store with the detergents and additives.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by deniseathome View Post
    To Grainlady or anyone else who knows the answer,

I apologize in advance for being so thick headed. Are Zote and Fels Naptha soap or detergents? I live in a hard water area. I am concerned about the environment, saving money and clean clothes. If these laundry bars are detergent based will they work in cold water with my hard alkaline water supply? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
    Yes these are petroleum based products, which you might not want to use .

I make my own recipe that works really well , with my own homemade soap or Dr. Bronners soap that has no petroleum base in it . I make a dry laundry soap as well as a liquid one. My clothes smell fresh, come out clean and I love because it has no chemicals in it. If you happen to do the dry laundry soap method, add one cup of salt ( I use sea salt or Real Salt) for hard water. Dr. Bronners soap or homemade is good for the environment, in reference to your question. My kids love the blend of laundry soap I make with either the lavender or peppermint, but you can use the baby soap for no fragrance and add your own essential oil for the smell. Hope that helps!

By the way there is an Fragrance oil that is made to smell like tide, that many soap makers use for their laundry soap.
    Last edited by HappyMama; 11-13-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: add fragrance oil

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For a little different ooomph try Ivory soap with aloe. I made our clothing smell wonderful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pretty excited here...when i first read the recipe for the laundry soap i said, hey i already USE washing soda as an additive, and sometimes borax (tend to alternate, not sure WHY) - you mean all i have to do is add another ingredient and make my OWN? sweet! so i just did up a batch of the powdered form for my "test run" and i used the ivory bar soap. first load of towels look and smell just like clean laundry!!!! doing a load of delicate darks next....i think we have a winner!

oh and i think i should have used the smaller side of the grater? not making tacos tess........my husband looked at me like i'd slipped a little further off my rocker but he's wonderful tolerant and quite interested to see the cost/yield difference.

this site is so great. whodda thought laundry could be fun again?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi all! New here but not new to homemade laundry detergent!
    You REALLY need to use the WASHING soda & NOT baking soda. It will make a difference in how your soap/detergent works.
    If you can't find it in a normal grocery store...your local Ace Hardware will either carry it or can order it!

I have a front loader, my DH works around our place here (16+ acres), he does mechanical work on our vehicles, he does construction work/repair.....so he gets DIRTY and sometimes greasy & some times deseil (sp?) smelling! It gets everything clean & smells nice. I have been using fels naptha & Zote. Have used ivory in the past...and sometimes use it for more delicate items...not for the tough stuff!
    I also hang out to dry & fluff in the dryer for 10-15 min. & everything is soft!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fels Napha is a soap & Zote is also Deniseathome!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Duggars Laundry soap recipe:

Rhiamom: I have a front loader washer also. I have always used non he detergents but I never use more than 1 ounce of detergent(3 tsp). It cleans my clothes very well, even when we had a farm and some really dirty clothes. as far as water temp goes, some fl have built in water heaters. you should check your manual to see if your machine has this, mine doesn't . for white clothes, I use Ariel detergent from Mexico. It still has all the ingredients american detergents don't anymore. My whites come out almost blindingly white.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowgc View Post

4 Cups hot tap water
    1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
    1 Cup Washing Soda
    ½ Cup Borax

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

Powdered Laundry Detergent- Top load machine

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
    1 Cup Washing Soda
    ½ Cup Borax

(Approx. 40 loads)

I just made the liquid laundry detergent as per these directions but a couple of things have me puzzled.

1. Why, if the amount of the ingredients used are the same for the dry as the liquid detergent, would you only get 40 loads with the dry as opposed to the 180 loads for liquid? It seems to me that either too much of the dry or not enough of the liquid is being used? Wouldn't a teaspoon be closer in equivalent?

Also, the difference between the loads for top loaders and front loaders seems pretty big. Aren't you actually only using approximately twice as much for a top loader? How can using slightly less than half make a little over 3 1/2 times as many loads? Shouldn't the difference be closer to 2 1/2 times as many loads? Am I quibbling? lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Has any one with a top loading machinc tried using the amount for a frount loading machine to see if their clothing still comes out clean?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have an HE top loader, will this recipe work or is there a chance I might break it? (I bought it refurbished so the warranty is not that great)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an HE top loader, will this recipe work or is there a chance I might break it? <<

I no longer use this recipe (financially things are not so tight and time being a precious commodity right now I buy my detergent) but did for many years in my top loading machine and it worked just fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keildra View Post
    I have an HE top loader, will this recipe work or is there a chance I might break it? (I bought it refurbished so the warranty is not that great)
    This soap doesn't suds up like traditional laundry detergent. So I think you will be fine. With the HE washers, I think the issue with traditional laundry detergent is the sudsing....Actually this homemade detergent doesn't suds up at all....I have gone back to using it more lately myself. Try a little bit for your first load and see how your machine acts...but I honestly think you'll be fine. good luck!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast