Need Help With Stain Removal
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need Help With Stain Removal

My new DBF, bless his heart, chews tobacco (I know, bad habit and ewwwww, but that's part of the south I guess) and he's ruined a good dress shirt with 'tobacco juice'. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove a new stain?
    I also noticed an old stain that looks somewhat faded so my guess is it's been washed and dried, therefore, set into the fabric. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My old standby is a mix of vinegar, baking soda, water and oxyclean, altogether. I don't have the exact mixing ration, but mix the oxyclean and water according to the package directions. Then add some baking soda and a small amount of vinegar to get it bubbly. Put it on the stain and rub it in. Then rinse it out. Sometime you need to do this a few times, but it usually gets the stain out. Then run it through the regular was. The oxyclean will leave a white residue on the shirt, but that will wash out in the regular was, so don't be worried that you discolored the shirt, it's just the oxyclean powder residue!

Good luck, I hope you can get it out! And BTW, I've never tried it on tobacco before, but I've gotten all kinds of crazy stains out with it, so hopefully it'll help!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My question would be what color is the shirt, there are some other methods I've used that work wonderful but I'd need to know the color of the material!
    I agree with Momto2Boyz and I hope it comes out for you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nvmommyx6 View Post
    My question would be what color is the shirt, there are some other methods I've used that work wonderful but I'd need to know the color of the material!
    I agree with Momto2Boyz and I hope it comes out for you!

The shirt is a wrinkle free oxford, light pink. And it's 60% cotton and 40% poly.

Thanks for the help ya'll.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2Boyz View Post
    My old standby is a mix of vinegar, baking soda, water and oxyclean, altogether. I don't have the exact mixing ration, but mix the oxyclean and water according to the package directions. Then add some baking soda and a small amount of vinegar to get it bubbly. Put it on the stain and rub it in. Then rinse it out. Sometime you need to do this a few times, but it usually gets the stain out. Then run it through the regular was. The oxyclean will leave a white residue on the shirt, but that will wash out in the regular was, so don't be worried that you discolored the shirt, it's just the oxyclean powder residue!

Good luck, I hope you can get it out! And BTW, I've never tried it on tobacco before, but I've gotten all kinds of crazy stains out with it, so hopefully it'll help!
    Thanks for the information. I will wait and see what others suggest since the only ingredient in this formula that a 'bachelor' has in the house right now is the water...LOL, but I'm slowly training him on frugal ways. This sounds like it very well might do the trick since vinegar, baking soda and oxyclean seem to be the best household cleaners anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi,

Well i think the best method is to approach any professional cleaning service and get it done by them... Rather than ruining the cloth...

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll tell that hands down I swear by FelsNaptha laundry soap bars. They are GREAT stain removers, Even old stains. Just wet shirt and give it a good lather of the soap and scrub together for a bit then throw in machine and wash as you always do. Amazing stuff!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

try some rubbbing alcohol on the stain, it works good on blood and ink stains so it might help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just an update on the stain:

The fresh stain came out with using oxy-style all purpose cleaner (store-bought but DBF had it already in house), baking soda and liquid laundry detergent. It took a few treatments because it was on there for a while, but hadn't been washed or dried yet.

However, the old stain is still there. Not nearly as noticeable as it previously was, but you can still see it. Maybe with repeated treatments and washing it will come out. I am going to try the fels naptha soap idea next. My late mother used to swear by the stuff!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

what polly said. fels naptha and a scrub brush of some kind works wonders on laundry LOL

you might try letting it soak for a short while before laundering, just to give it time to work