I made homemade laundry detergent yesterday. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been using the homemade laundry soap for a while, now. It does clean better and the clothes smell better, too. It's easy to make but it can be messy, if you're like me. I'm going to hang some clothes out this year to see the difference with the outdoor smell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heartofmine View Post
    This is the one I used and it turned out great. I talked to my sis today and she's going to make it too. Now to get my mom onboard and I think she'll love it.

HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT

Ingredients:
    3.1 oz bar Ivory soap or 2 regular bar sizes(I chose Ivory over the others since I know we are not allergic to it)
    1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
    ½ cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda or Baking Soda (I used baking soda since I couldn't find the washing soda but it worked just fine)
    Water
    Tools:
    5 Gallon container
    Knife or grater
    Pot large enough to hold 5 cups of water
    Long stirring stick/spoon (for 5 gallon container)
    Instructions:
    Shave the soap into small strips or grate it up finely with a grater and place in the pot with 5 cups of water. Bring the water just shy of a boil and stir until the soap is completely melted. When the soap is just about melted, pour 3 gallons of hot water into the 5-gallon container and let it sit until the soap in the pot is totally melted. Once all of the soap shavings are melted, pour the mixture into the 5-gallon container and stir.
    Once the soap and water are thoroughly stirred, add the ½ cup pf washing soda and stir until dissolved. Once the washing soda is dissolved, pour in the cup of borax and stir again until dissolved.

***You can add essential oil flavors for the smell but I prefer without.

***You use 1/2 to 1 cup for each load of laundry depending on how dirty they are.
    Thanks for posting this.

Can I use this in my front loader? And if so, how much should I use for one load?

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHomemaker View Post
    I've been using the homemade laundry soap for a while, now. It does clean better and the clothes smell better, too. It's easy to make but it can be messy, if you're like me. I'm going to hang some clothes out this year to see the difference with the outdoor smell.

CH, If you pay attention, you'll find that each season has it's own wonderful smell on your clothes! I love getting in a bed made with fresh washed sheets that have been hung out to dry. MMMM.... nothing like it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

Can I use this in my front loader? And if so, how much should I use for one load?
    I have an HE front loader, too. I hope someone answers this. I would hate to use this and break my washer. That would be very unfrugal!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry Michelle and checkerkitty I don't know myself. Hopefully someone else will come along that knows.

I love line drying my sheets, quilts, comforters. It just smells so good. I don't line dry every day laundry though because of my health issues its to difficult for me to bring the clothing in and out. When I do the sheets and things my kids help. They are not here enough to help with everyday laundry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ditto with the HE washer. My Duet calls for an ounce per load. I don't know how that translates into hm detergents. I do know that if I damage it due to not using the recommended detergents I negate the manufacturers warranty. If it were not for that, I'd be busy on making my own already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yall just reminded me that I started a batch yesterday morning, but didn't ever finish it. Work got in the way..and Now I have NO IDEA where the bucket is..

Everything that was in the laundry room in in my kitchen, dining room, carport..we are having to replace the floor because of a leaking washer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html

above is a link that has the front loader recipe

I make mine using 1/3 bar grated Fels Naptha Soap, 1/3 cup Washing Soda and 1/3 cup borax powder; someone on this site had posted this recipe awhile back. boil above with 6 cups of water for 5 mins., put in bucket and add hot water and stir. I use a lot of the detergent (like 2 cups) and I shake it up in a used jam jar so there are no clumps. (it gels). I use a lot b.c. my husband is a car detailer and his clothes get really dirty. Also I turn the washer off for a couple hours to let them sit in the washer after spinning for a bit so they will get extra clean. I am not sure if this is necessary but I'm just starting to use the homemade stuff so I'm still experimenting with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can any this homemade soaps be use in cold water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the success story, I have started to collect ingredients and am just waiting to use up my store bought laundry detergent before trying out the HM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you can use cold water but make sure you shake it up if you are using liquid soap because it clumps up

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mhope View Post
    Can any this homemade soaps be use in cold water.
    miss spell word in the above post.

Can any these homemade soaps be use in cold water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm how interesting never thought about making my own homemade laundry detergent. Sounds really interesting, how long can you keep the detergent for?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mhope yes you can use it in cold water. As someone said just shake it up before putting it in. I also read on another post where someone said they turn the water on hot for just a minute and pour the soap in and then turn it back to cold.

Blueeyes I've never read where anyone has had any problems with it ruining before its all used up. I do a lot of laundry so not any chance of it anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats and thanks for the recipe. I'm going to start buying items next week.

Cat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast