I made homemade laundry detergent yesterday. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made the dry soap. On the Soaps Gone Buy website they say 3 Tbsp. for heavy loads. The water has a respectable level of opaqueness with 3 Tbsp. in my washer but if I feel like living on the edge I may try 2 at some point. I would like the Fels Naptha to be grated finer, I did it in the food processor but if I did it that way again I would cut up the soap in small pieces and let it dry out first. This time, I processed it, let it dry in the sun, then processed it again. There was residual detergent smell when they were clean so I guess I'm sold on it so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

Can I use this in my front loader? And if so, how much should I use for one load?
    Call Customer Service of your washing machine company to see if homemade laundry soap is suggested for your particular machine. It's possible it will void your warranty if your machine is new.

Homemade soap is made with products that can increase suds production, unlike low-sudsing detergents, which can result in multiple rinses needed to remove the soap residue from the laundry. Soap products used in the mixtures can also collect in your machine and cause more mold growth - they are often fat-based soaps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mhope View Post
    Can any this homemade soaps be use in cold water.
    CAN you use homemade soap in cold water, and should you, is what you need to consider. You CAN, but it's not as effective for cleaning (especially for heavy dirt) as using the hottest water possible for the fabric type being washed.

1. Neither soap nor detergent work effectively in extremely cold water . Our cold water is currantly 62°F or colder. Detergent manufacturers and care labels DEFINE cold water as 80-85°F. Some washers will add hot water to the cold to maintain this temperature. If the water is colder than that, detergent will not activate and clean effectively, and soap-based products will build-up quickly on the clothing when washed in cold water.

2. It's a scientific fact that soap used in laundry builds-up in fabrics, that's just the chemical nature of the ingredients. These homemade formulas are missing the corrosion inhibitors, enzymes and chleating agents that are present in commercial detergents. Using cold water will hasten the soap build-up. The soap build-up also causes fabric to deteriorate and clothes will turn gray. This is especially true if you use homemade laundry detergent in hard water.

3. The most effective water temperature for cleaning is the hottest possible for the fabric type. If you use cold water, it's also suggested you use detergents that are formulated FOR cold water. Their chemistry is different.
    Last edited by Grainlady; 04-09-2009 at 12:41 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have heard that people who have HE machines have had no problems with using the homemade soap. I have an HE and I plan on making my own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried homemade soap made with both Fels-naptha and Kirks Castile soap. Both made ds's eczema flair up. So I am going back to commercial laundry detergent.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    Call Customer Service of your washing machine company to see if homemade laundry soap is suggested for your particular machine. It's possible it will void your warranty if your machine is new.

Homemade soap is made with products that can increase suds production, unlike low-sudsing detergents, which can result in multiple rinses needed to remove the soap residue from the laundry. Soap products used in the mixtures can also collect in your machine and cause more mold growth - they are often fat-based soaps.

I always read where these homemade laundry detergents recipes are low sudsing. And that the regular commercial laundry detergents have chemicals in them to make them sudsy. So, if you need to use low sudsing detergent in the HE washers, then why can't you use the homemade laundry detergents that are low sudsing?
    I don't plan on using homemade SOAP to make these recipes. I plan on using fels naptha and octagon bars of soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with thefrug, I have read were they are low sudsy and that is with using fels naptha.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thefrug View Post
    I always read where these homemade laundry detergents recipes are low sudsing. And that the regular commercial laundry detergents have chemicals in them to make them sudsy. So, if you need to use low sudsing detergent in the HE washers, then why can't you use the homemade laundry detergents that are low sudsing?
    I don't plan on using homemade SOAP to make these recipes. I plan on using fels naptha and octagon bars of soap.

It depends on what "soap" product a person uses in the mixture as to the amount of suds it produces. Some people use bars of bath soap (Zest, Ivory, etc.). Fels Naptha or ZOTE are designed to be used for laundry, but the fats in them can cause mold in front loading washing machines. I liked ZOTE best in my homemade laundry soap mixtures - not only for it's low price and the citronella scent; but ZOTE also contains optical brighteners, which help keep your clothes looking less gray than other brands of "soap" that are added to the mixture.

Here's a link for information about the differences and similarities of soap and detergents and how they work on clothes, etc....

http://www.atsko.com/articles/clothi...detergent.html

Neither soap nor detergents are "natural" products. The chemists consider the step of producing the soap molecule from oils/fats is still a synthesis step, therefore, soaps are synthetic products as well. Where soap and detergents differ is the behaviour in hard water.

I've used homemade laundry soap mixtures off and on since the 1980's. I usually have to quit using it after about 6 months because they don't work effectively in our hard water and our clothes get soap scum build-up on them - even using vinegar in the rinse. But at least I was saving money for that period of time. I still like to occasionally make up a liquid mixture: liquid Dr. Bronners Castile Soap, salt, baking soda, vinegar, and Graprfruit Seed Extract. It' is a general purpose mixture that can be used for laundry as well as a household cleaner.

Then I started adding more ingredients, like Oxy Clean and Automatic Dishwashing Detergents (for the enzymes), so I wasn't saving money anymore. Now I use Charlie's Soap that costs 9-cents per load (I purchased the 5-gallon bucket - 1280 loads) and NO detergent build-up and gray clothes. Our clothes are soft WITHOUT using softeners - and I line dry them. That's the REAL test for soap build-up. So if you are also using liquid softener or softener sheets, or any other add-ins, you should also factor that to the price of doing a load of laundry, not just the price of the homemade laundry soap.

Borax (which has many chemical properties) used in homemade laundry soap mixtures is 'natural', but that does not mean it is automatically safer for you or for 'the environment' than man-made chemicals. Borax may also be used to kill roaches, ants, and fleas. In fact, it is also toxic to people. "The estimated lethal dose (ingested) for adults is 15-20 grams; less than 5 grams can kill a child or pet. For this reason, borax should not be used around food. More commonly, borax is associated with skin, eye, or respiratory irritation. It is also important to point out that exposure to borax may impair fertility or cause damage to an unborn child."

Washing Soda is sodium carbonate - which is used as a chemical for swimming pools.

So don't underestimate the combination of chemicals used in homemade laundry soap mixtures.
    Last edited by Grainlady; 04-10-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so excited! I just bought mine from here in orange & lemongrass scent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been slowly buying all the ingredients to make mine. Today I finished the list and bought the 5 gallon bucket. Now I just need a day all by myself to make it.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm still using the homemade and I have my sis and mom both on board. They have passed the recipe along to other family and ladies in their church. I'm still using Ivory soap instead of the Fels Napta or Zote and love the smell of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123