Washing clothing without electric?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Washing clothing without electric?

Does anyone here wash their clothing without electricity? I've been looking into it and some options seem really pricey.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...32823315?Args=

THEY LOOK THE SAME

http://www.gaiam.com/product/eco-hom...ames+washer.do

Of course there was this option too, but it's for small loads, not a family.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...___23305?Args=

Then of course there's some back breaking options

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...__66DHWB?Args=

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Go...r___66RW?Args=

Both of these are easily available around here being so close to Amish country. On my way to Wal-mart I often see washing boards hung up on porches with the wash basin turned upside down underneath them, and fresh laundry on the line. Both are very inexpensive options and can be found at Goods, and many other stores out this way.

Is there any other options I've overlooked?
    Last edited by pollypurebred39; 01-25-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Is there any other options I've over looked?
    WHAT?????? Maybe some knee pads and a back brace???

Are you serious????????

I remember my g-mother using a wringer and that was enough for me.
    I have an old washboard in my basement but I was going to paint on it.......it sure won't be used for washing clothes!!

I washed clothes by hand while living in Venezuela and Costa Rica and traveling, and that was enough!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GIGGLES, yeah. We often lose electric and although we have a generator that's really just for keeping the water pump running and some lights. Not enough to power a house like normal. In the past I've run to wash day and thrown in some laundry, but it was crowded and expensive, not to mention the fact that when the electric is out so are the trafic lights and the intersections are dangerous. They put up stop signs, but it gets really confusing with the turning lanes. Just thought I'd look up some options, thinking it might be a good idea if the electric was out for more then a week.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GIGGLES, yeah. We often lose electric and although we have a generator that's really just for keeping the water pump running and some lights. Not enough to power a house like normal. In the past I've run to wash day and thrown in some laundry, but it was crowded and expensive, not to mention the fact that when the electric is out so are the trafic lights and the intersections are dangerous. They put up stop signs, but it gets really confusing with the turning lanes. Just thought I'd look up some options, thinking it might be a good idea if the electric was out for more then a week.
    Oh WHEW!!! I thought you were really getting into the 'frugality' program and going to dump the washing machine!!

Does the generator also run your freezer when it is out for a long time? That is always what I worry about. The clothes can wait.....but if I lost the food, I would be hopping mad!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, we keep the basics going. We keep lights off mostly, and limit all electric usage. it's not meant to power a whole house, but it's a big one that runs on home heating fuel. No need to store gas. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but my husband hooks it up to the house somehow???

We have several neighbors that have whole house emergency generators and they can live like normal. It does not even register a blip on their radar, it starts up all by itself! When our electric goes out I find myself feeling a wee bit of the green eyed monster!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

if you go to instructables there are some instructions on making your own devices to wash clothes. I am thinking of at least one that used no electricity and did not require knee pads although your arms are going to be sore I think.

FYI, I was checking out jsut the ringers last week thinking I could do something similiar. Those things are $100 or more a set!

I am pretty sure most standard generator's will run your washer. Its your dryer that will give it some issues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Didn't click the links to know what was there yet. On the run here but another person posted on wonder washer.

[ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127725"]anyone have a wonderwash? - Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

Dean either has one or bought her daughter one I believe. Maybe Grainlady. I think she's talked about it also.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the first one with the wringer doesn't look to bad when absoultly needed and no electricity. but as far as going back to meme's (grandmother)day hand washing and raw dried cracked fingers no thanks lol
    the one on the wall- where us scrub on the board- MIl has hers as memories she had bringing up her kids till she got a electric when My hubby was bout 4. and he's the baby of 7 boys. Wow she had it rough. Ill give her that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have an old wringer in one of the storage sheds....maybe I should bring it out this summer and use it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Debbie, What's a wringer exactly?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How funny we both posted something about laundry w no electricity! Great minds must think alike!! I'm off to ceck out ur links

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used a 5-gallon bucket (in the bath tub) and a long-handled toilet plunger as the agitator. There is a "gadget" that looks similar to the plunger called a Rapid Washer, so I used what I had at hand. Years later my dad gave me an old Rapid Washer to use to decorate my laundry room- timing's everything.... (LOL)

I've also used a Wonder Wash and have posted information in the thread NikoSan999 linked in post #7 above.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    We have an old wringer in one of the storage sheds....maybe I should bring it out this summer and use it!
    Oh yeah DC! That should build up some arm muscle! I can remember helping my grandmother with her wash when she thought I should be doing something a little more constructive. (in other words, when I had gotten into trouble at her house!)

Not sure, but didn't they take electricity?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know a wringer gets water out of clothing, but what Debbie was talking about is that the name of a type of clothing washer? or one of the devices that gets water out of clothing?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know a wringer gets water out of clothing, but what Debbie was talking about is that the name of a type of clothing washer? or one of the devices that gets water out of clothing?
    A wringer washer is a 'way' of washing clothes.....or a type of clothes washing machine. Has a tub with the 'wringer' above the tub.

I am not sure if the tub agitated or not...can't recall (think in the 'upscale models', it might have agitated and this is where the electricity came in)...but you had to pick up these heavy, wet, clothes and get them into the wringer and then HAND crank the clothes through the wringer to get the water out. And with really heavy things (jeans) you almost had to have someone on the other side pulling on the jeans to get them through. God bless my grandma!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast