Just a question about laundry...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Just a question about laundry...

#1-Why do my cats insist on sleeping in the dryer? (haha just kidding)

Okay my real question: I have a washer and dryer in my apartment. They pay for the water to which is great. They don't however pay for the electric so I like to air dry my clothes. Problem is they are all crunchy and hard after so I usually just let them air dry and then throw them in the dryer for like 10-15 minutes to get them warm but then when they come back to regular temp they are hard and crunchy again.

Why and how do I fix this??? I use dryer sheets. Should I be using fabric softer in the wash? I really hate drying jeans and towels in the dryer. Its a pita!

Also--I prefer to use hot water because I think it helps get the stains out better. Is this true IYO? Does using hot water effect my electric bill or just the water bill that I don't pay for?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good questions and I know that there are members here who will know all the answers to them - here's my take

I thought hot water set stains. I always use cold water and a spot remover when necessary.

I dry my clothes in the dryer for about 15 min. and then let them air dry and have never had a problem.

That's all I have experience with so now I'll sit back and wait for other answers!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ohh good idea, dry in the dryer for a bit and then hang them...I will have to try this!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use cold water to wash all. You're prob paying for hydro to heat your water if using hot. I usually toss my clothes into the dryer for 5 mins max. As I take them out to hang on the drying racks, I give it a good crack/whip to snap out wrinkles and hang accordingly. Once dry, I take off rack and fold so they don't get rack marks lol.

I usually do add a cup of white vinegar to the wash water before adding soap which helps soften and brighten the clothes as well as deodorizes them.

I pre-treat any stains (usually organic/food stains) by wetting the stain then adding a dab of dish soap and gently brushing it w/wet toothbrush. I wash it shortly after and do not let the soap dry. If it's a while until my next washing, I use Spray n Wash stain stick which allows you to let it sit for a week or so before washing.

BTW: I find that by hanging my clothes to dry indoors - it makes clothes drying a natural humidifier

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hot water does set stains imo

try the vinegar in the washer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pre-treat with homemade stain spray.
    Wash in cold.
    Vinegar goes in with towels, helps get out soap I think.
    Hang dry on racks.
    I 'snap' them when done. Basically where you shake them out and they snap. I do give socks and undies (and used to diapers) a quick 5 minute tumble to soften them after they are dry.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Washing in hot water will raise your electric bill because you are using electricity to heat the water in your water heater.

I don't wash anything in hot water, except my towels occasionally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the info ladies!!! No more hot water for me!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wash sheets, towels and whites in hot water. Everything else gets cold water. I try to hang dry as much as possible. I use downey in the wash and "snap" the clothes before they are hung up.

It takes some trial and error to find your way. Hope you love your new apartment!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When air-dried clothes dry stiff it's usually the quality of cotton used in the garments (low-grade cotton drys stiff), or you may need to use less soap or try an extra rinse because you have soap build-up in your clothes. There is also some physics involved. Wet fibers relax. When they dry, they remain "fixed" or "rigid" in position. That's why things dried on a windy day are softer than if there is no wind. We have a ceiling fan that offers some movement to clothes we hang in the basement to dry.

I use Charlie's Soap and never use softener, and our clothes are soft, even line-dried, with a couple exceptions. Knitted dish rags I make with low-quality Sugar n Cream cotton yarn remain stiff, while those I make with high-quality yarn I used for knitting cotton sweaters remains soft. Hubby also has one pair of jeans that are stiffer than all the others we launder and I suspect it's the quality of the cotton in them. I also believe our clothes dry soft because there isn't any soap residue using Charlie's Soap.

This test from Charlie's Soap web site shows how much soap can build up in fabric...

Fabric tests from: Safe, Non toxic, Biodegradable Soap - Charlie's Soap

Test by AATCC
    Test Variation of AATCC Test Method #61 2A Scour
    Title Charlie's Soap Compared to Tide Liquid

"This test was performed with 100% cotton cloth diapers. Poor rinsability was indicated by a weight gain after controlled washing and drying. Diapers washed in Tide Liquid (at recommended levels) gained nearly 2% in weight after only 8 washings. Those washed in Charlie's Soap (at recommended levels and 4 times recommended levels) gained no measurable weight at all. It is reasonable to assume that hypo-allergenic fabrics washed in Charlie's Soap Laundry Liquid, which is shown to leave no irritating residues, will surely remain so when washed with Charlie's Soap".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYI -

Water temperature is important for dissolving detergents, as it is for removing heavily soiled clothes. Detergent manufacturers and care labels define cold water as 80-85°F. Our water is at least 20° colder than that, so using cold water for washing clothes is futile for us if we want them clean, the detergent to work properly, or to sanitize anything.

Many new washers will actually mix hot/cold water to get the proper temperature, even if the washer is set on cold wash. If you use cold water for washing, be sure to use detergents that are designed to be used in cold water, and even then, if the temperature of water is colder than 65°F, it's not recommended for doing laundry. If the temperature of the water is too cold for your hands, detergent will not activate and clean effectively.

HOT: 120-140°F - recommended for white and heavily soiled colorfast items

WARM: 85-105°F - most loads

COLD: 65-75°F - only very bright colors with light soil

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow thanks grainlady!!! You always have such good info!!!

Bad news---tried to wash my clothes in cold water today on the cold cycle. It was still hot. Something is wrong with out pipes or something. So we only have hot water

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree that the dryer BEFORE hanging helps with the crunchies, but I would add to try turning a fan on the drying clothes. Just that little bit of motion helps, and they dry a LOT faster with moving air vs. stagnant.
    Our HOA doesn't allow clotheslines, so I am planning to rig something up in the garage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my laundry room I have a long pole going from one side of the room to another and I just hang them on that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always start my washer on hot to activate and dissolve the soap. I then turn it to cold for the rest of the wash cycle. Works great.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnW819 View Post

Bad news---tried to wash my clothes in cold water today on the cold cycle. It was still hot. Something is wrong with out pipes or something. So we only have hot water
    if it is a knob that you turn to switch between cold and hot, check to see if it is loose. It could be stripped inside and just slipping around instead of actually turning anything. You might have to take it off and turn it with plyers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast