Odd Sock Basket

Thread: Odd Sock Basket

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Odd Sock Basket

Does anyone else have a separate basket for odd socks?

I started one of these about 5 years ago, and it has really helped keep the sock drawers organized. Before, I just threw the leftover socks in the drawer and eventually would just end up with a big messy drawer filled with mis-matched socks. Now I only put matched pairs in the drawer, and any lone socks get thrown in the basket. About once a month I will take the basket down and match them up. It's also a good way to figure out which socks have permanently lost their mates - anything that I see at the bottom of the basket month after month gets thown in the rag bag or the garbage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a pretty dilapidated green basket that I use for rags, odd socks, etc. I go through it once a week when I need to mate socks. I keep it in my room under the window, but I'm thinking I need a better place to store it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My cousin had one of those and I used to laugh at the pile of socks in it.

Gotta say.......no family sure makes that easier.....I usually search until I find that little devil!! More than a few times I have found it wadded up inside my fleece top or pants. Only a couple times have I just had to 'wait until it surfaces'....usually the same way. I go to put on a fleece top and it pops out the arms!

The odd ones makes good dust rags.......cut them down and they fit right over your hand.

The tops can be cut into strips (around) and then cut/opened up and used for ties in the garden.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I bringour old and mismatched socks into the preschool to use for chalkboard erasers and the children love them!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do - but I use an old zipper bag that was for a king size set of sheets. Every so often I go through and match them. If a "lonely sock" as my youngest child calls them - has been there awhile, it gets tossed. I should keep it for the chalkboard. I like that idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Nope. This is where having very little space actually pays off. Our laundry closet is in a tiny atrium that opens to the two bedrooms and only bathroom. We're all trained to put dirty stuff immediately in the laundry closet. There's really nowhere for the socks to hide from the closet to the bedroom dressers so no losses yet in the 10 years we've lived here.
    Now baby socks used to frustrate me because they're so tiny that they can end up inside of other clothes during the wash(in sleeves, pant legs)so I started pinning them together to make them easier to spot without having to vigorously shake every article of clothing.~

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a drawer with all the unmatched socks in it. I have NO idea how I lost so many over the years. DH and I do separate loads, so it rarely gets mixed. Once in a rare while I match a pair, but for the most part they just vanish into thin air.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I have a drawer with all the unmatched socks in it. I have NO idea how I lost so many over the years. DH and I do separate loads, so it rarely gets mixed. Once in a rare while I match a pair, but for the most part they just vanish into thin air.
    I once caught my washer eating one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use an old canvas bag hung on a door knob. I go through it every time I do lights (which is where most of our socks are). I also keep odd gloves/mittens in there.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob baronmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a drawer I put mine in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We rarely have lonely socks because I buy everyone in the household the same socks. It makes life easier that way. I take a colored sharpie and mark the bottom of the sock with a line as to whom it belongs.

I am also the only female in the household. I have some colored socks leftover, but I also have white ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, we safety pin our socks together when we remove them (before they go in the hamper). This prevents any strays.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really need to organize this. Just tonight...no kidding there was a sock on my couch that I have no idea who's it is or how it got there. It's to big to be my son's and too small to be my step-daughters. It will remain a mystery.

One good thing about summer is that there is way less socks to deal with.... flip flops and sandals!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by staceyy View Post
    No, we safety pin our socks together when we remove them (before they go in the hamper). This prevents any strays.
    OMG, this would never fly in this house. But a great idea.