HELP! My washing machine is making my clothes stink! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone. I ran a hot load with bleach, and another with vinegar and baking soda and it seems to have fixed it for now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Thanks..........glad I read this thread.......I won't buy one...but my machine is still 'fairly new'.....not front load.
    I do agree there is an issue with a front loader and having to leave the door open; but IMHO everything else outweighs buying one. I will always have one. I use regular laundry soap, but half of it, it uses 1/3 of the water cutting my water bill in half, and spins the clothes so fast in the drying cycle they are almost dry and less harsh on your clothes without the agitator. SOOOOOOO if I have to put up with leaving my door open between washes; not such a big deal to me.

If the vinegar, bleach or dishwasher soap don't work they actually have a packet of soap to run through a cycle to clean your front loader.

Pam

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Thanks everyone. I ran a hot load with bleach, and another with vinegar and baking soda and it seems to have fixed it for now

That is good to hear.

Does you washer have an sanitizing cycle? One that super heats the water to 140 degrees? I have found using this cycle every now and again helps to keep stink away.

I do level my washer door open a crack though.

Both of those tend to keep it stink free enough though it is in a damp basement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    I do agree there is an issue with a front loader and having to leave the door open; but IMHO everything else outweighs buying one. I will always have one. I use regular laundry soap, but half of it, it uses 1/3 of the water cutting my water bill in half, and spins the clothes so fast in the drying cycle they are almost dry and less harsh on your clothes without the agitator. SOOOOOOO if I have to put up with leaving my door open between washes; not such a big deal to me.

Pam
    I agree

I use so little soap- a couple of tablespoons. ( I use powder kind)

And my water useage went down so much that the water company replaced the meter as they thought it had broken. Nope new meter read way less water usage too.

leaving the door open a crack doesn't bother me at all.

I knew people that had to leave the top loader lids open between washings so the washer didn't stink.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried the powder dish wash detergent trick and my last couple loads seemed to come out smelling better.

Still.....I hate my HE washer(&*&%$#&%*^()#%*

Liberty Twp, Ohio (just north of Cincinnati)
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought front loaders two years ago - our other set was 18 years old (we had bought them new) and they were fine, but very loud and serious energy hogs. (we donated them to a local organization that helps abused women and children get a home of their own - they really needed a washer and dryer, so - it all worked out well.)

Front loaders WERE an adjustment. Once I understood that my old top loader wasn't rubber sealed and watertight all around like the new front loader, and THAT was what was creating the difference, I was fine.

About three times a year I would run a cycle of just bleach and leave the door open to dry. That would take care of it.

Now I use vinegar instead of fabric softener, and find this seems to help alot - I only run bleach through the machine about once a year.

The key is definitely leaving a door open, and wiping down your seals.

Think of it this way; that front loader is as air tight with the door closed as your fridge is - probably more. Just imagine your fridge sitting warm with moisture inside it - it WILL start to smell!

For us, the trade off of extreme energy efficiency (uses about 1/8 the water my old top loader did, and a ton less electricity) and the whisper quiet function was worth it. Our pantry/laundry is right off the main room. You couldn't even hear the television over the *whummm whummm whummm* of the older washer!

Just my two cents! Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Top loader washer. I had a problem with it smelling. I do keep the door open when not in use and this does work. I also used Tide Wahing Machine Cleaner (not sure if this is the right name but it's a cleaner for the washer made by Tide). Anyway, this works great and smells wonderful. A little pricey, 3 treatments for just under $7.00 but it's alot cheaper than buying a new washer.

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check for a recall on the machine. I had a Maytag neptune that did the same thing. They had a recall because it needed a mildew kit installed to stop the odor. I got the part sent to me and had a servicemana from the area install it. No more problems. Although since I had the machine for a few years when the recall came out, I think that was a part of the reason the tub rusted out. It was also a front loader and I tried allthe above mention things. They worked for alittle while but the came back. Or try calling the company, maybe they could help you. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12