Air/ line drying clothes - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In many cases, line drying saves energy from the washer and your iron.. The wrinkles seem to "blow" out from the wind.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use a generous helping of fabric softener (which I get for cheap with coupons) then throw anything that's "stiff" in the dryer on air fluff for about 15 minutes. Still uses a lot less electricity than heating it for an hour or more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hang out everything but towels, underwear and socks. I run 1 load of all of the above in the dryer. I iron my and dh's work clothes after I bring them in from the line. We both work in an office. I don't send anything to the drycleaner.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gonna put up line this weekend. Can't wait to see the drop in elec bill. I think this is going to be fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face Hanging wet laundry = stiff clothes?!

Ok, this may just be me, but I'm hoping someone out there has had a similar experience.

I wanted to try hanging a load of laundry to dry instead of using the dryer. I hung it in my bathroom over the shower rod and some small things (socks, underwear) just draped over the tub. When I figured they would be dry, I went to pick them up and they were so stiff!! I had to put them in the dryer afterall.

Now I don't use too much soap. In fact, I split the bottle in half and then fill the other halves with water. The washer/dryer unit is so small that it probably only fits half of what a "normal" one would hold, so I don't just pour the soap in liberally. I know I got the soap out... so why the stiffness, do you think?

Where we live, we can't hang them outside to dry. Our "laundry room" (if you can even CALL it that) is extremely tiny (think: big closet with double doors), so we can't fit a drying rack in there.

Any ideas? As usual, I take any help I can get!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What I usually do is toss it into the dryer for a minute or so to heat it up and shake very hard to get the wrinkles out before hanging the clothes. I find they're not so stiff afterwards. Some toss back into the dyer for a minute after they're dry just to soften them. Its a matter of personal preference.

I also use a cup of white vinegar in the wash water (or use a Downey ball) to act as a natural fabric softener and deodorizer.

A few of my friends hang their laundry to dry on racks in their bedroom, hallway or lv rm if they're not entertaining. Its just for one night and one day usually. Are you able to hang it on the porch or in a room with a ceiling fan in it?

Hope that helps

PS: I usually dry one load and its huge. Small items - socks & undies - and towels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG I'm such an idiot lol

Never even thought of the whole "fabric softener" thing actually softener the clothes - I only ever thought of the sheets making the clothes smell nice and making them not be static-y!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Personally, I prefer the sheets for static over scent. I don't like liquid fabric softener - as great of a job that it does - b/c its a fire accelerator. Kids clothes should not be washed with it. Just head up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

agree w/ vinegar!!!

when i do dry on a rack, once they are dry if they are stiff, i throw them in the dryer w/ 1/3 of a dryer sheet and put in the air fluff for 10 mins and they are fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dryer sheets can clog up the lint screen in your dryer and get a film all over everything in it. When we got a new dryer we said we'd never use another dryer sheet and so far we haven't -- our lint filter is a lot easier to clean now.

I hang clothes out all the time - I use a liberal amount of liquid fabric softener which I get for free or cheap with coupons. Then for things like jeans and towels that tend to still be stiff, I "air fluff" them in the dryer with no heat for about 15 minutes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use the sensitive skin and light fragrance fabric softener in my clothes when I wash and hang them. My mom never did and every time she hung them up, they were stiff as a board.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also do the vinegar in rinse cycle thing. I must say that when clothes dry indoors they are stiffer than when hung outside in the wind. We just got used to stiffer clothes. Even towels, after you used them once thet soften up quite a bit. As far as space for a drying rack I put it in our spare bedroom. When I lived in a small appartment, I would put it in the living room, and put a fan on to accelerate drying.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't see it mentioned so I thought I would add...I use soapnuts, baking soda (and oxygen bleach for dirty clothes) to wash clothes and I hang my laundry inside. The laundry is not nearly as stiff as it was when I used commercial soaps and softeners. I also don't contribute as much plastic to recycling. Soapnuts are very cheap. I cook them in a big batch and freeze the liquid in recycle (soda syrup) bottles and take them out as I need them.

I made my laundry line by getting a 36" unfinished table leg (sawing it in half) from the hardware store and putting 5 eye hooks in one half and 5 open hooks on the other half. I painted it matte black to match the picture frames in the spare room and put it at the window end (12 feet wide). I screwed the wood ends to the studs. By using hooks on one end, I can easily take the line down if I need too. I reused some laundry line that I had at home. It is very sturdy, I hang wet flannel queen duvets on it.

The old towels are more stiff than newer towels when they are line dried. My husband uses those old towels for working out and so I throw them in the dryer on no heat to make them a little softer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaw View Post
    When I hang laundry on the line to dry, it comes out stiff and scratchy. I use liquid fabric softner in the final rinse but it does not seem to help much.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to get the laundry to be softer? My small goal is to drop the electric bill by 10 per month and I was hoping hanging the wash out to dry would help a bit. Also be aware there is no way I have the time or inclination to iron everything so that would not solve my problem.

Hints?????
    I've JUST started a similar challenge for myself and find the only way my clothes (ie jeans, towels and thick hoodies) become soft are to give the clothes 15 minutes in the dryer before folding...I do not find vinegar an effective softener ay all so I use liquid softer.

ETA: I only line dry indoors so I have no exp. with clothes that are blown in the wind LOL!
    Last edited by momof2boys2005; 12-28-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast