Tide clone recipe - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Instead of using a Tide clone recipe, I use the President's Choice smaller bottle (which saves me about $3) and I only use enough up to the number 1 on the inside of the measuring cup. I pour that in the water, then I add enough baking soda around the agitator to make the water cloudy white. It's about 1/4c worth. The baking soda does a whole lot better job than just detergent alone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by herbsgirl View Post
    Was it Bleach ALternative OR Bleach? The bleach alternative is supposed to be safe for colors which is what the SUN has in it.
    You may be right and I'm not sure because it was a long time ago.
    Thanks for pointing that out!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am curious how the TIDE CLONE works? Has anyone tried this?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Update on the Tide Clone ingredients... Dollar General no longer carries the SUN oxygen cleaner at all.

So I got a smaller bucket of SUN oxygen cleaner at Walmart, for 1.99 or so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok my mistake, I just found SUN Oxygen cleaner in Dollar General again, but it is 2.50 for 30 oz. Walmart carries it for 1.99 for 30 oz

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have super sensitive skin. Do they make a cheap laundry detergent powder that's fragrance free? I currently use Sun Free and Clear that I get at Big Lots fairly cheaply, but I find I often have to add Oxyclean to the wash to really brighten up dingy clothes (like socks or summer t-shirts).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had the "color safe oxygen bleach alternative" bleach the color out of black clothes as well as colored clothes. It left an awful permanent splotchy fade on the clothes. I also have had that same problem with some powdered detergents. I will stick with my homemade liquid!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh I dearly love tide but it is very expensive. I am afraid to try the clone. Tide is the best laundry detergent out there. Tried homemade detergent once and was not satisfied with it. oh this would be so CHEAP if it worked. omgosh I really love tide.ponder ponder ponder.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The recipe I mixed up sounds similar to these recipes. It makes a huge batch, but I really like that it uses the entire box/container of each so that you aren't haven't to store leftover product.

3 bars fels naptha or pink zote soap
    1 box Borax (76 oz; 4lb12oz)
    1 box Baking Soda (1.81kg; 4lb)
    1 box Super Washing Soda (55 oz; 3lb7oz)
    2 containers Oxyclean or Sun Oxygen (about 3.5lbs total)

Use 1 - 4 Tbls per load - 2 is recommended.

I used 2 bars of fels naptha and 1 bar of zote. I grated them up first with using the small holes side on a box grater. Then I processed it in small batches in my Ninja with some of the Oxygen powder added in. My soap shavings are now in powder form and I think more evenly dispersed. (And also not as much worry about them not dissolving.)

So far I am very pleased. There isn't really much fragrance with this, but I never found my clothes held on too much anyway, even when using fragrance crystals and/or dryer sheets. I feel like my clothes are coming out brighter than before and certainly plenty clean.

We discovered recently that the top part of our washing machine agitator was not moving. Therefore, the clothes and detergent were not getting mixed around - the stuff on top, stayed on top the entire time. This really wasn't a big deal for the majority of my clothes - I have an office job and generally do not get dirty or sweaty. But my husband had started complaining some about his clothes. I did begin to notice that it seemed like my underwear got an odor within just a few hours; however, I took it as a problem with me and not with the clothes and added in an additional feminine wash that I used each morning and disposable towelettes for those times in between. Sorry, probably TMI. Well, once we discovered the problem with our washer and fixed it with a repair kit, things started improving! Now I am pretty certain it wasn't a hygiene problem on my part, but, in fact, that my underwear where not getting cleaned properly and body heat would bring out the odor already on them pretty quickly.

I didn't know if I needed to throw out my underwear or if a few washings would remove odors that I now feared were probably baked into them by multiple runs through the dryer. I think this detergent seems to be taking care of the problem though! I've only used it on about 5 loads so far. I'll update more after repeated use if I feel any differently.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1 Tablespoon Improved Tide Clone(1 part each borax, washing soda, oxgen cleaner)
    PLUS
    1 Tablespoon of Non Concentrated Original Blue Dawn

for one Load of laundry = awesome stain fighting power for grease and tons of stuff!!!! LOOOOVVVVVEEE IT!!!!!! also safe for any cloth diapers and prevents build up!!!! I put in my good Sunday clothes with tons of stains and they came out clean!

The cost is aprox 5.3 cents per load total!!

IF using in cold water washes, always dissolve in warm water first...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bumping the Tide Clone recipe up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123