Frugal Village Forums banner

Alex, I'll take laundry pet peeves for $100

5K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  hotprincesscm 
#1 ·
Drives you nuts, but they do it over and over again

What is tossing their shirts with one sleeve right side out and the other inside out into the laundry?

next...

#4 ·
Dear Laundry,
Things just aren't working out. I think you should see other people. It's not YOU. It's ME. I can still hang out with you twice a day, but you're going to have to wait for someone else to take you home. It's not that I don't like you. I just don't like you-like you. I'm sorry it has to be this way. Maybe things will change in the future when I have more time. Or when someone else notices you.

buhbye and don't call me.

#8 ·
Since DH is the main person handing the washing and drying, doing about 15 of our roughly 20 loads a week, I don't have too many pet peeves.

But, it does kind of bother me that no one seems to be able to get the dirty clothes in any basket, let alone the right basket. Most of the time my lazy bums will just toss their clothes into the laundry room and not get them in the dirty baskets. Goodness forbid I expect them to actually get them the correct basket. I mean how hard is it to put towels in the towel basket? Whites in the white basket? Colors in the color basket? Jeans in the jean basket?

Sometimes I secretly wish the laundry room was a little smaller (it's around 180 sq ft) because maybe then they would think twice before filling the floor with their dirties.

Oh and bring your empty hangers to the laundry room. There is a huge laundry pole we installed just for empty hangers. Daddy and I do not enjoy going room to room to get your hangers when you could easily bring them in the laundry room every few days.

#9 ·
the missing sock. there is always a missing sock.

Reactions: nadine64
#11 ·
What is throwing a freshly laundered load on the bedroom floor instead of folding and putting away.

#13 ·
What is the kitchen sponge that gets stuck inside and at the bottom of a pillowcase and you look all over for it.

(just happened yesterday!) OR

What is the lost sock that you have looked all over for only to find it two weeks later in the sleeve of a fleece top that was in the same load, when you put on the shirt???

#14 ·
Dear daughters,

No, I haven't seen your lip gloss, but I'm sure the washer and dryer has.

Dear DH,

Give me a flying freakin break. Take the crap out of your pockets and don't blame me. You are actually lucky that I bother to pick up your dirty pants laying 2 feet from the laundry basket that is so hard for you to put in the proper place.... but you like to shoot hoops. I figured this was a fun challenge for you, including your socks. But no....it's my fault that your wallet, employee applications and box cutters from work got washed. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Paying the appliance guy $85 to remove those plastic floss picks form the pump - did I mention it's at the BOTTOM of the front loading washer and the appliance guys weighs AT LEAST 400# and I'm imagining having to do CPR 'cause he's huffing and puffing and red-faced and dripping sweat?

PS- I'm the only one who uses floss picks, too........ :(

#17 ·
What is DD leaving nail polish in the tiny overalls pockets and DS having pink sparkle decorated pj's

What is DS throwing dirty stinky t-shirts in w/ my fresh dryer load to dewrinkle clothes-ewww/grrr.

What is DH's blue tinged t-shirts because he is too LAZY to do seperate loads

What is EMPTY the DANG lint FILTER every load before the firemen visit

What is Maytag used to be a good brand but is self destructing after about 5 years. Hate you Maytag.

#18 ·
sawdust. my pet peeve is sawdust. DD has birds. at the bottom of the cage is sawdust. when she plays with her birds sawdust gets into her clothes. I don't know how. I try not to figure things out anymore. But I find it...or rather the dryer lint trap does.

#20 ·
Since DH is the main person handing the washing and drying, doing about 15 of our roughly 20 loads a week, I don't have too many pet peeves. >>>>

that much laundry for 4 people ?? wow
we have 7 here- and we do maybe 12 a week at most including the never ending piles of towels the two teen girls use.
we do have a large load capacity washer and dryer though .

#21 ·
that much laundry for 4 people ?? wow
we have 7 here- and we do maybe 12 a week at most including the never ending piles of towels the two teen girls use.
we do have a large load capacity washer and dryer though .
We have a large load washer as well; holds 18 large towels with room to spare. If we didn't, we would have 25 or 30 loads a week.

#1 - We don't reuse towels. One use the wash.

#2 - We don't re-wear any clothes. One wear then wash.

#3 - DS and DD are both involved in athletics which means LOTS of clothing and easily go through several outfits on a normal day.
*DS has weight lifting everyday followed by football practice - two different sets of sweaty clothing that must be washed daily. Then, he has a JV football game Monday night and a varsity game Friday nights - those days he has to change clothes from PJ's to school uniform to weight lifting clothes to football practice gear to football game gear. Except for the first Friday of every month. That day he has to wear a specific shirt and tie to school. After Mass (around 10:00 am) at school he has to change to his football game day jersey. Next, into weight lifting clothes for 7th period weight lifting. Followed by football practice wear for football practice and so on and so on.
*He also plays varsity baseball, varsity basketball, track and field and wrestling so he has to change multiple times daily all year for his various sports.
*DD has volleyball 4 x week in the summer and fall and basketball in the winter. Her athletic clothes must be done daily as well.
*DS, DD and DH workout at the gym on the weekend. That is another set of sweaty clothing for each.
*If they go out with their friends on the weekend, well that is another outfit there.
*Finally, they both have part-time jobs and both volunteer at the museum. Those activities each have specific uniforms that have to be washed once worn.
For them, wearing the same thing all day is not an option.

#4 - Bed sheets and blankets are done once a week = 3 loads/week

#5 - Dog and cat blankets washed once a week = 1 load/week

#6 DH changes from sleep clothes to dress clothes for the office to casual clothes for the evening at home - 3 outfits a day for him.

It's no big deal, really. DH is good about doing a load before work everyday, one or two after work and the rest on the weekends. I do a load here or there and the kids will, too. We have a good system that works for us.

#25 ·
I'm not a cat lover and am somewhat enjoying the mental picture :)

Reactions: freebs
#26 ·
Living in an apartment and sharing the 2 washers and 2 dryers with 13 other apartments. Plus paying $3 a load and hoping that we put just the right amount of clothes in to get our money's worth, but not so much that they won't dry. *Sigh* Next year hoping to rent where we can have our own :).

#28 ·
My pet peeve is hubby leaving his jeans rolled up, so that when I unroll them, all the dirt and leaves fall on the floor (or over the bed or wherever!) We get his jeans to fit when he is wearing his boots for work, but he doesnt wear his boots to work at home...That, and having to rewash clothes because they did not get put away and were knocked to the floor where the dogs so appreciate that nice comfy spot!

I have also "dried" my cat on several occasions - I come running now whenever I hear a "thump, clunk, clunk reeeoooowww!"

#29 ·
I don't have laundry issues, I have a pet monster that takes care of them.

Laundry Monster lives at our house, it has for years. Please be warned, if you have altered your clothes in the following ways your clothes will be eaten by the Laundry Monster:

Cutting, tearing, or otherwise creating holes in jeans that allow butt to be seen in any way-shape-form. Accidental or created, monster doesn't ask, doesn't care, it just eats.
Using safety pins to create a larger, pressed together cleaveage by attaching bra straps together. Favorite bra and safety pin will be eaten. Same applies to tank tops with spaghetti straps.
Borrowing friends clothes that are obviously inappropriate and unallowed in my house, those clothes will be eaten. The laundry monster does not discriminate. Don't like it? Don't bring their clothes to my house.
Laundry Monster eats ANY clothing that is obviously outgrown, and it doesn't care that the short-short skirt (created by outgrowing it) is super cute now as opposed to when you were 8 years old.
Laundry Monster eats ANY items left in pockets, this includes money, no I haven't seen it.
You will not find the Laundry Monster items anywhere in the house, you can stop looking now. It does not hide the items, it eats them. It also eats stained, (obviously ruined) or otherwise too worn clothes at will. If its missing, it was eaten, don't argue.

Hiding your clothes in your room to avoid the laundry monster will work for a short period of time. Say, until we have a room cleaning situation and its all scooped up and taken to the laundry or until Mother has witnessed an inappropriate item at which time she will find it while you're out and feed it to the Laundry Monster.

Dress appropriately, care for your clothes, and you can keep them. :smirk: My girls joke about it now but boy did it help through those growing-pains years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.