Laundry Soap

Thread: Laundry Soap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Laundry Soap

I'm new here but I do make soap. I've been playing around with the different homemade laundry soap recipes now for several years, and I thought I would share mine. It's essentially similar to my great grandmother's soap jelly she used in her wash tubs and wringer washer. I've tried several recipes from the 'net, including the Duggar family recipe and had trouble with the whites getting dingy. That doesn't seem to happen with this combo.

Approx 1 lb (4 bath size bars) of any pure soap, grated (Fels Naptha, Ivory, Dial Basics, Zote etc....just don't make it a beauty bar)
    1/2 cup borax (leave this out if you wanna use the grey water from your wash, or if you wash a lot of darks)
    1/2 cup washing soda
    1 gallon of water

I don't fuss with it much....I grate the soap into the water, simmer it until the grated soap is dissolved, and then stir in my borax (optional) and washing soda.

I use about 1/2 to 1 cup in my top loader, and rinse with 1/4 cup vinegar. Go easy in a front loader....this recipe sudses up a bit.

If your water is hard, start the machine, add a water softener of your choice in recommended amount, let it get mixed in and then add your soap. This will keep scum from forming and dingies setting in.

If you make it with the Zote, it takes one bar (approx 89 cents most places), and it will do approximately 32+ washloads for just over a dollar....works out to 3 cents a load for 1/2 cup usage, 6 cents a load for 1 cup usage.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, so four bath soaps? I've only made the 'Duggar' one before and didn't care for it. Maybe I will try this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    Wow, so four bath soaps? I've only made the 'Duggar' one before and didn't care for it. Maybe I will try this.
    My white stuff turned dingy and it didn't get all the smell out of the clothes for me. My recipe is basically the old recipe from the Lewis Lye cans bucked up with a little bit of soda for oily stuff, and borax for color safe bleach alternative.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the board. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Similar to mine I do mine dry though. Glad it works for you. Love making homemade.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't like the homemade soap. I finally came up with the money in my budget and bought Charlie's Soap. It is reasonably priced per load and does a great job!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by savvy_sniper View Post
    I didn't like the homemade soap. I finally came up with the money in my budget and bought Charlie's Soap. It is reasonably priced per load and does a great job!
    I have heard good things about it and I'll give it a try one of these days.

I have also had good luck with the Ultra Plus from Sears. If I can get a good sale on that, I will buy it rather than making my own.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInPdx View Post
    My white stuff turned dingy and it didn't get all the smell out of the clothes for me. My recipe is basically the old recipe from the Lewis Lye cans bucked up with a little bit of soda for oily stuff, and borax for color safe bleach alternative.
    Thanks for the info and welcome to FV.