Perfume For Your Laundry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Perfume For Your Laundry?

Re: the 'scent crystals' you find in the laundry detergent aisle, am I the only one that finds these products ironic? The brands I've seen are Gain, Purex and Downey.

Most detergents are scented and I understand that many love the scent of the detergent but to perfume your entire wardrobe?? Don't you wonder whats in these products that makes the scent last for so long?

Most people I know are going with lighter or scent free laundry detergent. What am I missing?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use Tide original and vinegar. I want the least perfumes.
    After all,the girls of us already wear scented lotion and perfumes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just another way to get the consumer to spend their money on things they do not need!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate it when people assume everyone else wants to be forced to breathe in the stench of their selected odors, regardless of origin. Just because some manufacturer decides something smells nice does not mean everyone will agree. Some of us like to just breathe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We stick with unscented detergents and vinegar for fabric softener. However, I occasionally use linen spray on my sheets, I suppose that's a similar idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with whats been said so far. I'm part of the less scent in your face is more.

Frabjous Day - using a spray might 'scent' your linens but its not like it was made to last days on end and be overpowering as these scent crystals are marketed to be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got a sample free in the mail for some of those crystals and I couldn't wash my undergarments with that stuff. It irritated my skin too much and I only used a third instead of the whole package that it said to use. I won't be buying those at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Charlie's to wash my clothes - no scent. I hang my clothes outside to dry. I love the fact that there are no extra smells on my clothes, towels, sheets, etc.

I have lots of sinus and allergy problems. I try to use the least amout of scents in any and everything.

I am amazed when I am riding my Harley through residential neighborhoods or past laundromats at the strength of the smells - detergent, fabric softeners. Heck I have a hard time walking outside to my truck when my next door neighbor is doing laundry due to the strength of the laundry detergent and fabric softener that they use.

I want less scent not more!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the current practice of over-scenting absolutely everything.

Those ads on TV for room odorizers practically make me gag watching them. I can't imagine being in a house where that stuff is purposely being forced into the air and everyone who comes in is forced to inhale it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in the minority apparently. I did buy a bottle after getting a sample in the mail. However, I do not put it in my washer but instead I took an old pair of pantyhose and made sachet's for my drawers and in the container I store my clean sheets. I got so tired of how the sheets smelled after they were stored and would have to re-wash them every time to put them on the bed. With these sachet's the sheets smell so nice. Not over powering but to me it smells great.

I also never buy laundry detergent unscented and actually often purchase the one I think smells best same goes for fabric softener. I have never known the scent to be over powering.

To me the "stinkier j/k" the better

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post

Most people I know are going with lighter or scent free laundry detergent. What am I missing?
    Possibly the 'makers' being out of touch?????

Or thinking of another way they can 'up the price' of something???

And laundry scent doesn't stay long anyway but with all the allergies today I can't imagine what they were thinking. Obviously, they weren't.

I am always curious where they get the idea for these 'scents' and why do they think everyone will love them........who takes these polls??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post

Or thinking of another way they can 'up the price' of something???

And laundry scent doesn't stay long anyway but with all the allergies today I can't imagine what they were thinking. Obviously, they weren't.

I am always curious where they get the idea for these 'scents' and why do they think everyone will love them........who takes these polls??
    If this were the case there would be more unscented detergents than scented. But I rarely see the unscented sold out. True, it is about making money but if people were not interested in the scented ones they wouldn't buy them. So therefore they would discontinue them don't you think?

Also the market for air fresheners, candles and scented lotions and so forth is big money.

Because of having 5 small dogs, I personally have 2 different "febreze" air freshers plugged in or my candle warmer going at all times. Everyone who comes in my house says, Your house always smells so nice. These help as you cannot wash the dogs as often as I would prefer or their skin will dry out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ever notice how often the odors of that kind of stuff smells nothing at all like whatever name they give it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These will not be purchased by me...we have skin issues as it is...I used homemade laundry soap w/ vinegar in the rinse...no smell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Doxielvr3 View Post
    I am in the minority apparently. I did buy a bottle after getting a sample in the mail. However, I do not put it in my washer but instead I took an old pair of pantyhose and made sachet's for my drawers and in the container I store my clean sheets. I got so tired of how the sheets smelled after they were stored and would have to re-wash them every time to put them on the bed. With these sachet's the sheets smell so nice. Not over powering but to me it smells great.

I also never buy laundry detergent unscented and actually often purchase the one I think smells best same goes for fabric softener. I have never known the scent to be over powering.

To me the "stinkier j/k" the better
    I find the amount of scent in the regular laundry detergent to be tolerable probably b/c I barely use 1/2 of what is recommended on their bottle. Its the 'scent crystals' that not only make the scent stronger but last considerably longer then the amount of scent in the detergent that I'm talking about.

I have no problem admitting that I love the smell of freshly laundered clothing/bed linens but I know the smell isn't overpowering and will dissipate within a day or two.

I like your idea of using the scent crystals to make scent sachets for enclosed spaces - thats kind of the only use I saw for this product - ie room fresheners.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post

Of course they're out of touch - who needs to use that much detergent per load?! And I never knew there were 'polls' taken for this product.

Quote Originally Posted by Doxielvr3 View Post
    If this were the case there would be more unscented detergents than scented. But I rarely see the unscented sold out. True, it is about making money but if people were not interested in the scented ones they wouldn't buy them. So therefore they would discontinue them don't you think?

Also the market for air fresheners, candles and scented lotions and so forth is big money.

Because of having 5 small dogs, I personally have 2 different "febreze" air freshers plugged in or my candle warmer going at all times. Everyone who comes in my house says, Your house always smells so nice. These help as you cannot wash the dogs as often as I would prefer or their skin will dry out.
    Not trying to mock you but once you unscent something, thats it - there's no scent. How could you possibly make more varieties of unscented? KWIM? However you can make several variances of your original detergent scent. Every brand has an unscented version, you might not be seeing them b/c you're not looking for them specifically.

Air freshers, scented candles ARE a big money makers however you can control how you use them and they're not meant to be long lasting as the scent crystals claim. Those movement sensing automatic air freshener sprays - I don't agree with those, no regulating = too overpowering.

Quote Originally Posted by leighcat View Post
    I got a sample free in the mail for some of those crystals and I couldn't wash my undergarments with that stuff. It irritated my skin too much and I only used a third instead of the whole package that it said to use. I won't be buying those at all.
    Oh my - I hope you're alright!! Thats horrible!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast