My basement drying "lines"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool My basement drying "lines"

~I am so happy to be air drying again! I used three garment racks I already had(bought them for a conference years ago). I had to fix one that the moving company lost poles for(how I just don't know since the racks were disassembled, boxed and taped shut???)and buy three sets of coated wire hangers([email protected]). I've had the decrepit drying rack for 13 years. My MIL had it for 20 years before that. A lot of use in that ugly thing!
    The hydrometer shows an increase of basement humidity of about 5% while the clothes are wet. This is not a big deal since our CO basement averages 10-35% humidity in all but July and August. I can hang two giant loads down here. I've air-dried all but 4 loads since I set this up at the end of September.
    My basement drying "lines"-nuisance26-albums-my-diy-pics-picture29481-img-2866.jpg My basement drying "lines"-nuisance26-albums-my-diy-pics-picture29473-img-2867.jpg
    Invested to set this up: $5
    Energy savings: about $15 a month
    It may not be a ton of money but I find hanging the clothes so relaxing. I hang them wet one morning and go down and they are all dry the next. I fold them down there as I take them off the racks so no more baskets of clean clothes waiting to be folded and getting ridiculously wrinkled. This worked for me when I had outside lines too. There's something about using a dryer that causes me to dump all the clean laundry on our bed to fold later. And we all know when later is.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like the racks are tall enough to add a second rod below the top one if need be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am SO doing this! What a great idea!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Looks like the racks are tall enough to add a second rod below the top one if need be.
    ~We absolutely could, or we could cascade hangers down. I honestly don't think we'll need to though. I do 6 big loads a week. That's only 3, 24 hour drying periods. I had plans to use my old slatted crib sides as wall mounted drying racks but I won't need to now. I have more than enough space.
    We'll probably only use our dryer in the summer now. I had hoped to out up an outside line but it's just too breezy here . I don't want to be chasing down our clothes from the neighbors yards every laundry day.
    I do use the dryer for a 5 minute tumble, air no heat, before hanging things up. It works great to cut down the crispiness. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Completely OT: Have you had any luck finding a camper yet?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very nice!

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes....very nice! Good job!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great savings!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nuisance, my indoor-rack-drying system isn't as efficient as yours, but I live alone so my laundry load is much less than yours.

I moved to this house 16 years ago. It was immediately apparent that the small garage, built with the property in the early 1960s, was not modern-car suitable, so I bought one of those old-fashioned ceiling-racks on a pulley system, and a female friend and I fixed it to the roof-beams. Along with a vertical, fold-up, free-standing airing rack, I can air-dry all my laundry in a week (the garage is NOT wind-proof especially at the height of the eaves).

No-one else I know has this system. I do wonder why not, since around here no-one's car fits in the garage. It's a question of sideways thinking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Completely OT: Have you had any luck finding a camper yet?
    ~Not yet. Every mid-week I check all the CL ads across the country as well as our local dealerships and Rvtrader and Ebay. Haven't seen any in a few weeks that I would want to see. I don't know if I mentioned the last one we went to see but the price was good, and the condition seemed fine for the age. Unfortunately we scheduled everything online and when I called to confirm I couldn't help but notice the smoker's voice. Although the camper did not smell of smoke I asked and he admitted it had been smoked in. So that's a big no for me. Still looking.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Toffeekit, clothes airers aren't common in the US either, but I'm surprised to hear they're not more common where you are. I built one and hung it from the rafters of our covered deck. I use it all the time. Stuff can dry outside then, but it's still protected from the rain. I love mine!

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, Constance. I hope you find something. Next spring, prices will be higher because demand will be higher. I think part of the problem with the used market right now is that Coleman/Fleetwood has been out of business for a while now. They had the biggest market share by far, and no one has yet begun to fill the void although Columbia Northwest bought some of the patents and the factory and is making their Somerset line of high-end pop ups now, several models based on the old Coleman floor plans with many of the exclusive features the Colemans had. At any rate, people are hanging onto their old C/F trailers, so they're not hitting the used market as much. The other factor is that a new pop up can easily cost as much or almost as much as a new travel trailer, so people often opt for the TT vs. the pop up. That wouldn't be our choice but we're weird. But that means less new pop ups eventually ending up in the used market, too. Plus I think with the economy being what it was, a lot of people who never camped before got into it by buying a used pop up to save money on vacations, thereby further pressuring the used market. Lots of factors going on now.

Check around with dealers and see if anyone has any leftover model years from past years. The 2014s are out now and they might want to deal on the 2013s at this time of year. Leftover trailers are usually deeply discounted and you might get lucky. Also ask about dealer floor models. Both will be new with full warranties. We got our last Palomino that way. It was being closed out because it was a floor model and the floor plan was changing slightly for the new model year, so we paid less than half the original price. Also if you find something on a dealer lot you like but the price is too high, wait until January and throw them a reasonable offer. A lot of times they're more willing to reduce the price during the dead of winter when they're not selling much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~We've seen a fair amount of regular pop-ups that are well within our price range so there's a good supply here. We're just really set on the Trailmanor. If we don't find what we're looking for by February-ish, we'll almost certainly get a regular pop-up around the $3K range to get us through until we find our TM.
    For my kids, I feel like the hard sides over the canvas is a must. It's so windy anywhere we'd camp out here and my kids are already nervous at night and out in nature. The TM is also more efficient with the heater running on cold mountain nights. Extending the season is important too. I don't want to buy something that depreciates $1500 a year when I can only use it half the year.
    But at our low, get-us-by price point on a regular pop-up, I feel we can get our feet wet next year without a big loss.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see. I didn't realize you were looking at a TM. That does make it much harder to find.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for posting this. You reminded me to use my drying racks that I got at a rummage sale. I just hung up a load of towels. Tomorrow I will move them to the carport and then use them for clothes once the towels are dry.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You have me thinking here.....I should do this too. My problem is we only keep the heat on 65-67 during the day and 60 at night ( I know you keep yours low too ) but mine don't seem to dry in a day. Maybe I will turn the spin speed to highest setting on the washer and see if that helps. I have a fairly new front loader and they don't seem real wet when they come out and it is not humid here so not sure why they take a few days to dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast