laundry question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile laundry question

How many loads do you generally get from your liquid laundry detergent bottle? I was doing an "experiment" with my last bottle. I marked the date i began using the bottle...Jan 1. today I finally got my last load. I marked each time i did a load and measured each time i used the detergent. I used 1/4 c liquid detergent each load, I added 2-4T (heaping) Zote; grated to each load. I had a 100 oz bottle. I got 48 loads from this bottle. I don't see any difference in my laundry, everything is comming out just as clean as before. Only now I spent (on liquid detergent alone) only a nickle per load! (the zote, .60cents a bar, is costing me around .03-.04 cents per load!)

Not too bad??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hmmm, maybe too much time on my hands??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's very economical, Melissa!

I make my own laundry liquid that I make in 2 gallon lots. It costs me 50 cents to make 2 gallons. My son is a chef and it even gets his uniforms beautifully clean. Laundry liquid costs $3.99 for a bottle of a litre and a half so it's saving me a heap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob Karla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I marked the date on my last 100oz bottle as to when I started using it....7 days shy of 2mos (12/14...opend new 2/7)
    Now I have very hard water and so how much soap I used depend on what I wash...for example a batch of towels will get 1-2 Tbsp and yep I measure that or I have suds that will take 3 washings to get out....
    I just might have to mark how many loads I get from a bottle...I will also admit...so far I've never paid over 3.50 a bottle...and I've used all different brands.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What is Zote? I've never heard of it. Congrats on coming up with a way to win the laundry wars!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Melissa thats great.

Our Tide liquid is usually $7.99 for a 1.8 litre and I often can get a $1.50 off that, so I really need to stretch it. I sometimes will get Sunlight, but I like Tide the best with our water.

We have very hard water as well and I use less than a 1/4 of a cup for all my loads.

I read once it isn't the soap that actually gets your laundry clean, its the agitation of your machine, so you don't need very much soap.

Can you tell me what the Zote is for?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am curious as to where you found zote? I have never tracked mine fromopen date to finish date, but that would be interesting to see how I am getting from it.

Sounds like you are winning in the laudry department.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Zote is Fels Naptha (i believe that's right), it is bar laundry soap. It can be found (perhaps by other brand names) in the laundry asile, usually somewhere around the Woollite or sometimes near the fabric softener. The Zote soap is in a white and blue wrapper and mentions getting whites whiter. Let me see if i can find a package wrapper...I think it might be a product of Mexico, might find it in an "ethnic"market if you don't live in a southwestern state...Here's a pic i found online, but instead of using the pink, i use the blue wrapper. I find mine at Walmart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's good Melissa! I always want to see how much I use liquid soap for how many loads, but I never do it...I always use much less than the bottle says...I should check it out for sure...

Margery, what is your recipe for your laundry detergent?...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds good to me! I have never tracked mine. Hmm....maybe the next time?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been curious as to how much it would save if I made soap...would it be worth the time and trouble...

Guess I'll be giving it a go. .50 a bottle is a heck of alot better than 2.99 a bottle. Just think...bling bling...hehehe

We call this Fels Naptha around here...hehehehe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know how many loads I get out of a 100 oz bottle. Since we got the front loading washer I only use 1-2 tlbsp. per load so a couple hundred??? Really stretches it and uses less water and doesn't have an agitator so your clothes last longer. Well worth the extra $150 when we bought it 3 years ago, it has paid for itself and then some.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always use half the amount that they recommend so I usually get twice the amount they say the bottle holds (48 load bottle so I get 96 loads).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this is my laundry liquid recipe:

you'll need
    2 gallon bucket
    saucepan
    long handled spoon
    water
    soap
    washing soda
    borax
    optional - fragrant oil or blueing agent - for whites

grate one bar of pure soap (sometimes I use a half bar of stain removal soal and half pure soap) and put it in a saucepan with one quart of water. Boil this gently, stirring occasionally until the soap is dissolved.
    When the soap is dissolved, take the saucepan off the heat and add one cup of washing soda and one cup of borax. Stir this together.
    Then you can add fragrant oil or a blueing agent but these are optional.
    Tip the liquid into a 2 gallon baucket and add warm water to almost fill the bucket.
    Stir thoroughly and leave to cool. It will thicken as it cools, then pour into your storage bottles.
    Use 1/2 to 1 cup per wash, depending on the type of wash - ie workclothes or delicates.
    Try it ladies, it really works.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

what is blueing agent? I think i'd like to try this! and what kind of soaps do you use? And what kind of stain removal soap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast