Putting Away the Laundry - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I put it away as soon as it comes off the line. It's just easier for me to do that, otherwise it would NOT get put away most days. I am easily disstracted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Re: Putting Away the Laundry

Originally posted by AmyBoz
    ...what do you do with your laundry? Do you put it away as soon as it is dry? Do you leave it in the laundry room and put it away later? Do you take it to it's eventual location and wait until it starts yelling at you to put it away? Maybe you are REALLY bad (as I have been known to be) and just live out of the clean laundry basket. (Shame on you.)

So, which is it?
    A load a day keeps the dr away or the shrink at bay, however you like to say it.

I generally do a load daily or every other day, depending if I've got enough of lights, darks, or delicates. I have a system.

Throw my load a day in when I get up and moving (after my shower). Sometime in the morning when I notice it, I put it in the dryer, and by lunch it's beeped.

I pull it out before wrinkles set in and plop it on our bed where I

do the toss system. takes about 3 minutes.

Open dh's ginch drawer, sock drawer, undershirt drawer and my drawer for bras and panties.

TOSS into appropriate drawer as I come to each object.

Absolutely NO folding.

I make individual piles for bath and hand towels, facecloths, cleaning cloths, kitchen tea towels and dishcloths, and

another pile for "hangups". Do the hang ups then jelly roll the towels and put them in the linen closet, toss the facecloths and handtowels into their boxes (I use boxes to corral stuff I don't care to fold or fiddle with) ditto cleaning cloths.

By then about 3 whole minutes have passed. I trundle to the kitchen and open a drawer for linens and toss in the tea towels and dish cloths. NO folding, just toss. I do fold cloth table napkins.

WHEN kids were little I'd do toss piles for each, and go into their rooms, open drawers and toss in. About another 2 minutes.

Socks and underpants are always different styles or colours per person so sorting is simple. I buy lots and don't bother pairing up, they are all the same. Life's too short to pair socks.

Sheets, on the day I do the bedding, I wash the sheets first, and put them right back on the bed, make it and carry on with the other loads in the above system.

I can handle putting away a smaller load or two, from start to finish, and part of why I like my system is it doesnt' take much effort to do it, and it doesn't take time either.

Part of why it works well is I try not to overload or over organize my drawers.

One drawer of mine for example has 2 big shoeboxes in it, and 2 small ones from when the kids were little. They containerize my panties in one box, bras in the other, pantyhose in one small box and a set of velcro attach shoulder pads in the last small box.

Because I don't over stuff the drawer or closet for that matter with too much, hanging up or tossing into a shoebox doesn't take much doing.

I dedicate one whole drawer to his 8 undershirts for example. I shoebox his underpants separate from his cloth hankies in the same drawer but neither box is over stuffed. One whole drawer is just our white cotton socks, slung in loose.

It's when you have to jam panties in the drawer, or shoehorn the clothes into the rack, and pick up the ones that fell off the hanger, and deal with the wrinkles that squashed clothing gets that takes time and effort and destroys the ease of this system.

Ditto buying cute one of a kind socks in pairs that need pairing up every time. I buy socks in bulk. One for ds, one type for dd and dh and I share plain white cotton one size fits all kind.

So the tips that work well for me?
    Less is more
    Use boxes and toss, don't fold
    Sort beside the main dresser where the stuff goes.
    Only keep daily use clothes in a high use dresser like that or the main bedroom closet.
    Do it daily
    Small loads are faster and easier to sort than big loads and they wash better with less wear than if you are jamming the washer full.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Margery for sharing your way of dealing with laundry and clothes! I like it ALOT! Simple and quick---no fussing around....AND you are right---Life is too short to pair up socks and fold them...I can't tell how much time I spend doing this every week---no one else here seems to know how to do it, but me....I do have different kind of socks for each child, so it's easier me or them to get their socks if I had not paired them up yet...

Again, thanks, Margery! I always learn a new way to look at things in life with you and I think it's fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate putting away laundry too. I wash mine and Ryan's clothes together and then they have a tendency to sit in the laundry basket until the end of the day when I hurry to get them put up. I always put up Ryan's first, then eventually mine. Mel does his own laundry (it's fine with me, one less thing I have to do). He lives out of a laundry basket and I fuss about it occassionally but it does no good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're suppose to put them ... away?

I've been awful about the laundry lately. "Go look in the dryer!" Is what my family's been hearing.

(how do syou spell that sound of frustration Marge Sipmpson makes?) I HATE laundry!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not a great laundress. lol It tends to sit for a day before it gets put up. I do fold most of the time before I toss it into the basket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12