Sweat stains?? Help!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Sweat stains?? Help!

OK -- I sooo do not sweat but I do religiously apply deodorant. Some of my white tee's have armpit stains. Any suggestions on how to remove?? I've tried soaking in bleach, etc. Are these sweat stains or deodorant stains ya think??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think armpit stains are generally from the antiperspirant/deoderant. I've heard that ammonia can get them out but I've never actually tried it myself. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used neat vinegar and also used Rubbing alcohol (surgical spirit in the UK)

The Rubbing alcohol worked best, dab generously over the affected area leave for 5 mins or so & then wash as normal.

Test an area for colour fastness first).

Rubbing Alcohol is also what they use to remove Body odour from fancy dress hire places, because of course they can't wash Gorllia suits and the like very often

Any one who has a "Dry Clean only" article of clothing that is a bit ripe around the pits will find that wiping around that area and hanging in a cold area to dry ( and air off the smell of the alcohol) can work very well too

I hope this helps?
    Karen

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Karen, I haven't heard that but it makes sense! I will try that too!

When I wash my hubby's gym clothes (he sweats alot) I use vinegar in the wash. I don't know about stains though

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Laundry question

Wasn't sure where to post this so I thought here. Do you have any good, frugal solutions for perspiration stains? The problem is that even if the stain appears to be gone, sometimes the smell remains, therefore a feeling of not clean. The problem seems to be mostly with t-shirts in general. I've tried all sorts of things, but still have the problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to add the same question. I have a problem with the deoderant building up when I sweat and I am having a problem getting them both off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one of those deoderant crystals and have neither problem with it. Mine is like a rock that I just put on while I am still wet after getting out of the shower in the morning and they last forever. I see now that one of the big companies (can't remember which) now have them in a twist-up container. This might avoid future problems and am sorry have no solutions to your present ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never heard of a deodorant crystal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haven't tried this for that specific problem, but I have always found that the Oxiclean powder works for tough laundry problems - I have used it on cat urine stains and it removes the stain and the odor (I use one scoop of oxiclean powder PLUS 1/4 cup of baking soda and a full amount of laundry soap with a smallish load of laundry).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've tried the alcohol and it does a great job. After using a variety of products on the shirts, you may want to add some bluing to the rinse. White clothes have blue dye added to make them brighter. Some of the dullness/stain looking areas could be left overs from the products.

You can also keep alcohol pads in your purse. If you are out and about and your under arm product fails, you can give your pits a few swipes of the pad to kill out the odor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow... thanks for these tips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hubby's socks get ..er..dingy is the word, and after the alcohol..etc..I add a scoop of an oxy-clean like product.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard that the yellow stains are actually left by anti-perspirants/deoderants and not by the sweat. I guess it makes sense, I've never seen a sweat stain on the back of my workout shirts and I work out til I'm very sweaty...the only yellow stains on any of my shirts are under my arms, where I put anti-perspirant.