What's on your laundry shelves?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What's on your laundry shelves?

What laundry supplies do you have for your laundry and how do you utilise them? (I will marl the things I use every wash with an asterisk)

Liquid starch- I have used it once? twice? for a hand crochet doily i made.

Calgon water softener - whitens whites, brightens colors, but i think i have it out of habit more than anything. I use 1/8 c per wash load. *

All for Baby- I have used this twice so far to clean the hand me downs we have been given.

Liquid Detergent- I use 1/4 a capful per wash load *

Dish soap- when there's a food grease mess on a shirt, i scrub this into the stain to break up the grease, works pretty good. Also i add a squirt per wash load *

Spray stain remover - I havent' found one yet that does exactly what it claims, but i have some to use

Oxy clean powder- I use this to soak stuff in. It works good, I like to soak pillow cases, whites, sheets, etc etc etc in this stuff. Usually over night works best.

Baking soda- I like the deodorising quality of this, my washer always smells fresh after having used this. 1/8 c per wash load *

Borax - Laundry booster, it seems that if i skip the Borax, my clothes don't come out so clean. I use 1/8 c per load. *

Zote - Like Fels Naptha, it is a solid bar od laundry soap. I grate it and use 1/4 c per wash load. *

Liquid fabric softener- i like to add this if i am hanging bedding out on the line after it comes out of the washing machine. If that's the plan, i add 1/8- 1/4 c to the wash in the rinse cycle

Tooth brushes, sponges, nail brushes, samples (biz right now), in a box for stain scrubbing.

Dryer sheets. I have a big box of them. Depending on the load i am doing i will either use 1/3 a sheet (regular washes) 1/2 a sheet (a load that is large or includes bedding) or a full sheet (a full load of towels or bedding). They last me forever in my laundry room

So, what's in your laundry room? what do you use? how much? how often? How nosy am I?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Being a bit "Monica" like in Friends, as in picky and er, retentive! I yearn to have a Laundry room in which to conduct my household experiments, or rather long to have all the laundry stuff in one area

Anyway, I have laundry liquid ~ I use half the amount on the bottle and dilute it.( Cheapest, store's own brand)

I have Bicarbonate of Soda ( I have found a neat trick with this, More later when I have tested to see if it was just dumb luck or one of my better ideas )

I have Washing Soda ( waiting for me to have a go at making my own laundry liquid)

I have Borax, for when I wash whites ( although I have a lot of Ecover laundry whitener/bleach powder to use up first)

I have an old toothbrush for scrubbing grimey collars and cuffs

Rubbing Alcohol ( Surgical Spirit) for getting rid of "baked in" perspiration stains and smells.

White Vinegar also can be used for the same reason, if the problem is not too bad

I don't use any kind of dryer sheets.

I use Fabric conditioner only occaisionally and when I do, I dilute some in a dish/jar add a couple of synthetic bath sponges, soak'em, squeeze out excess then chuck them in the dryer- the fabric conditioner seems to last forever that way

I also use regular (cheap) but nice smelling HAIR conditioner as fabric conditioner ( the same way ~ dilute, sponges etc.) My jumpers are very soft and sweet smelling after this treatment

samples? in my dreams! Not in the UK

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am a bit obsessive about laundry. I feel like a deranged chemist with all my potions

- Purex liquid detergent (this was almost free) I refuse to buy Tide or any other expensive detergent
    - homemade powdered detergent for usual washing
    - bleach (wal-mart brand)
    - non-chlorine bleach (Kroger brand)
    - Borax
    - Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
    - Stain spray (clorox I think)
    - Spray & Wash pretreatment (my Grandma told me to buy this!)
    - Oxy-clean for soaking
    - cheap shampoo & conditioner
    - Fels-Naptha soap (for stains or hm detergent)
    - bowl of free samples (Biz, Tide, Dreft, at least 5. I use these on vacation sometimes)
    - box of dryer sheets cut in thirds. I don't use these every time, but keep them around anyway. I'm trying to line dry more things, expecially now that it is nice around here. I should probably have vinegar and baking soda too, but I keep those upstairs and my washer/dryer are in the dungeon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Karen you can get loads of free samples in this country. Try www.moneysavingexpert.com, they have a whole section about freebies that you can email off for which is updated all the time. or just type freebies uk into a search engine and you'll probably find a site that you like.

In the last 6-8 months I have had, tetley, pg tips and clipper tea, taylor's of harrogate coffee, bacardi breezers, budweiser, loads of laundry stuff, ecover products (my favourite), spices, cookbooks, sweets, chocolate, free sim card for a mobile, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, bubble bath, cosmetics, baby food and nappies, seeds and a ton of money off coupons either through the post or via email.

HTH

Oh yeah and in answer to the question I have ecover laundry liquid in my laundry room... and that's it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only use Melaleuca laundry products.

I have probably tried every laundry product known to man, and have found Melaleuca to be FAR superior to all others, not to mention VERY frugal-friendly and environmentally safe.

I use:

MelaPower laundry detergent, which I buy in the 96 oz. jug. It is a concentrate with a pump squirt thingie and you only need one pump per load. It lasts FOREVER and work better than any other laundry detergent I have used.

MelaBrite, a bleach-free whitener/brightener. It is used like Clorox 2, I use it on my whites.

PreSpot, a pretreater/stain remover. Works great!

MelaSoft dryer sheets. I could cut them in thirds as well, but I will admit to being obsessive about dryer sheets--I use a whole sheet for each load.

I also have a little jar of Oxyclean powder in the laundry room, I don't use it very often but it does have it's occasional uses!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have shelves in my laundry area but do have an old floor tv cabinet minus the tv that holds all my stuff. On & in mine are: arm & hammer det, cheer for darks, bleach dry & wet, baking soda, meauring cup, toothbrush,scrub brush, liquid fabric softener, buttons & my tip jar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a cup for change & a cup for measuring bleach & a downey ball.

All baby.....almost gone & then I'm done with it.
    downey from Sam's that I use a week at a time once a month & I use about 1/2 of what's suggested.
    spray & wash...that's about 6 years old. I never use it.
    big bucket-o'-laundry soap from Sam's & a scoop.
    Gallon of vinegar for rinse cycle once & awhile.

I don't try to get the stains out of dh's clothes anymore. He's a ditch-digger & he's always dirty...as long as they've been washed, stains don't matter.

If the kids or I get a stain, I use the kitchen sink & all the junk there. liquid dish soap, dry dish soap, and occasionally the plastic booster stuff for the dishwasher or comet.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have
    --a huge container of liquid Tide from Sam's
    --a container of liquid Snuggle
    --Snuggle dryer sheets (we use these in the winter- lots of static in this house)
    --Borax (rarely use it because I always forget about it, lol)
    --colorsafe liquid bleach
    --baby stain remover (I've had the same bottle since DD was born!)
    --Spray and Wash power booster tablets-- (I love these things! I think they make a big difference in DD's play clothes.)
    --a Spray and Wash stain stick (I rarely use it, it's pretty old, too)
    --hand soap on the utility sink

There was baking soda in there, too, but that container is empty. I have a five pound bag under the kitchen sink and get it from there as needed.

That's it for laundry products. My other cleaning products are stored in that room, too.... but that's a whole different thread!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

a big bottle , with a spicket of sun laundry detergent....a bottle of vivid all fabric bleach, a bottle of generic chlorine bleach, a spray bottle of generic stain remover, a big bottle of nice and fluffy softener, a half used bottle of cuddle soft softener, a cointainer of all fabric bleach powder, and two boxes of cuddle soft dryer sheets( I cut them in half )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Laundry detergent - Arm and Hammer, fabric softner sheets, bleach- clorox, spray starch. That's it, I pretreat and soak overnight any stains that we might have. Almost forgot, I too have some laundry supply samples. I take them on vacation with me to do a load or two if I need to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I feel somewhat inadequate. lol
    I have a baby wipes container with change in it, liquid laundry soap, and dryer sheets. The rest of the shelf has baby clothes on it that I need to donate. I rarely use bleach for laundry, but use it to clean the bathrooms, so I keep it on the top shelf in the hall linen closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have :
    Tide, Snuggle Liquid and Snuggle sheet, Borax, Vinegar, Spray and Wash, Bleach, toothbrush, various other scrubby brushes, box of rags, box of light bulbs, 2 small coolers, vac bags. The laundry shelf tends to be a catch all area for us. The shelves are large and there is 2 of them. Yep I need to declutter.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Arm & Hammer liquid laundry detergent
    Snuggle fabric softner, also liquid ( I use ONLY liquid laundry products because of the type of machine I have}
    Shout for stains
    Clorox liquid bleach

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I dont have any shelves... Waaaahhhhhh!!!!!! But on my dryer I have a huge bucket of Sun laundry detergent, bleach, and Shout.. No fabric softener, or the such... I have a wooden box that is my "catch all", all the stuff from the pants of my children, a large change jar, and my husbands cordless drill... That is about it though....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a laundry shelf. We have a community laundry room in the basement. I keep my laundry supplies in my storage room so I don't have to carry them up and down the stairs. I use, liquid detergent (mostly ALL) and liquid fabric softener (off brand), spray and wash (off brand) and sometimes baking soda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast