laundry help

Thread: laundry help

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default laundry help

im having problems with my laundry smelling fresh here lately. i thought it might not be getting clean washing it in cold with home made laundry soap and only using part of a fabric sheet. so i went back to the store bought stuff, with a full sheet of softener and washing in warm. my laundry still doesn't smell fresh, its kind of musty smelling. its not soured, but not fresh like youd think clean laundry should smell like. i use vinegar, ive line dried in the sun, its still not nice smelling like it should be. any thoughts??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe you should run your washer with some hotwater and bleach just to clean it out. Bleach will kill just about any odor that might be in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with using bleach and running your washer with hot water to "clean" it out. I do that every so often when my laundry doesn't seem to be as clean as I think it should be!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Could it be your water? When we lived in the city everytime at this year they had to put in more chlorine in the water. It always made our laundry smell different.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could it be something funky in your dryer? Are you letting damp clothes sit around too long? Do they smell different coming out of the washer, or out of the dryer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found the hm soap sat in the bucket and smelled a bit off after a while when I tried it. I also found it didn't work well, probably due to hard water.

I love Costco's Kirkland house brand detergent powder. Does the job, doesn't upset anyones allergies, and is quite cheap.

I also am a fan of running hot water wash, with a cold water double rinse cycle on my machine.

I find that works well on all but delicates. Keeps it all smelling sweet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree about a wash with bleach.. and inbetween loads keep the lid open, I find if I keep my lid shut it will get musty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You might try adding some plain ol' borax to every load for a week. That might take whatever is causing the smell out. I've never ever had a problem with my hm laundry soap with Downy not making my clothes smell fresh and clean. But I have to say sometimes when things are dirty (like dh's work clothes) I will use dry bleach or extra borax to get the ground in dirt out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well there must be something going on with the washing machine, because i pulled out a cream colored shirt today and theres rust on both sides of it. thats 2 shirts now ive lost to rust.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ok Rust has it's own special smell too, so that may be your problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

so, do you think bleach will take care of the rust, or should i try something else?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rust in your water needs special help. There are water softener machines you get that take rust out of the main water supply.

However if it's a rust problem in your laundry tub part of your washer machine, you need to replace the rusty part or the whole washer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well theres no visible rust in the tub, but we do have problems with our water now and then. you run the bathtub for a bath and it'll be rust colored. we also dont drink it, it failed some test, i forget what... but too much has been shown to cause cancer. nice huh?