homemade laundry soap - Page 2
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Washing soda is not the same as baking soda. I don't like washing soda as it is a very harsh cleaner, But that is only me.

Washing soda is sometimes hard to come by, but its usually with the dry Laundry boosters (like Borax, Clorox 2 etc)

I have a recipe for powdered laundry detergent if anyone is interested.

My experience with HM laundry detergent is that it was more expensive for me to make out of bar soap, borax and baking soda than it is for me to purchase Arm & Hammer powdered. So I would figure out the cost, before you started

I was shocked that it was more to make than buy to say the least. But I have never made the liquid, so that may change things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have made laundry deterent before. It's good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just may try this! Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I Made HM Laundry Soap........ & It Works !!!

I have been trying to think of ways to cut back a bit more on expensives now that I am not working,
    Well I made homemade laundry soap and have tried it on a couple of loads, it works just fine, in fact it smells great...
    I have a lot of that free dove from a while back and a TON of those tiny soaps (family always gives them to dd, she has about 100 of them and doesn't use them) Well to start I used a few bars that had been opened and where just small bits left, they equaled abot 2 bars, I grated them, put in a sauce pan with about 6 cups of water, simmered til melted, split into 2 emply 100 oz laundry soap bottles, added 1 cup of borax to each bottle and filled with hot water, let cool and use....... It works great... 2-100 oz bottles of laundry soap for about .50c each !!!!!
    This will shave about $20.00 a month off of my spending.......
    Yippee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I,m gonna try it, but I have to find a friend who has a liquid bottle for starters. That should be easy enough. I use lots of soap, I have been cutting it back however, I am down to 1/2 scoop and CJ was right, the clothes are just as clean! This would save me even more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been wanting to try for over a year...and I always wait...Now that you tried it, Lori, I think I am going to try! I'm just worried about if it's hard on clothes? Last year, I had made a homemade disherwasher detergent and I found it was too rough on my dishes, the paint and designs were coming off the dishes...Have you ever tried dish washer detergent-homemade?

I'll be trying the homemade laundry detergent, soon...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can make laundry detergent two ways...wet and dry!

For wet, I grate and melt a bar of Fels Naphtha. I add it to a 5 gallon bucket (with a lid!) that is almost full of water and a cup of borax and a cup of Washing Soda. Mix well. Let stand overnight and then use your hand to squish the larger gel clumps up. Use one cup or less per load.

For dry, I finely grate the bar of Fels Naptha and then in a very large bowl I mix a box of borax with a box of Washing Soda. Add in the Fels naptha and mix well. I store it in sun tea jars. It makes about one and a 1/3rd jars. I use 3 tsp's per load-sometimes less. I made it in Late January and I still have a little less than half left. And I do laundry for 5-6 people! (I'm a foster Mom and sometimes I have kids who are VERY hard on clothes!)

Tonya

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will have to get some Borax and try this too. Thanks Lori, for getting us in gear!!

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Way to go Lori!!!! It really does save money doesn't it! I have been making the dry laundry soap and I love it! I'm going to try your recipe too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have never made it because we can't get the Fels Naptha here. But I have cut my laundry soap back over 1/2 and like Robin said, I've never had any problems.

Its amazing what one can do when they look at different areas. I use to wash my clothes on the longest cycle that used the most water. One day I decided why not use the cycle that uses the less amount of water and the less amount of electricity. My clothes came out exactly the same as they did in the longer cycle. I've never looked back.

Another area I found - you don't need to wash any clothes (other than diapers/training pants) in hot water. I use only cold water now and again, I was amazed at how my clothes came out.

Good for you Lori in making your own soap and saving $20 per month. Over a year thats $240.00, not a bad amount of savings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know all of the recipes call for "Fels Naptha" , if I used it, I wouldn't be saving much at all....... I use dove cuz it's what I had and I got for free. It worked fine.........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep saying I'm going to make some, but never get around to it. My son has horrible pit stains on his shirts. I have wet a bar of fels naptha and rubbed it on the stain, and it took it right out. I'm thinking that if I made the laundry soap, it would be easier to rub onto the shirt. Why did I throw away those empty bottles?!?!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Way to go Lori. I am glad you found a recipe that works for you. I tried it once and didn't like the outcome.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't seem to find Fels Naptha but that is OK because I just use whatever I have.....The last batch I used Ivory and the batch before was Dove.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You don't have to use Fels Naptha with the dry batch......not sure about the liquid.....never made it.....have always made the dry.

Anyways, I love using the ZOTE soap with the mixture. You can get bar of the zote soap (sold in the mexican food sections of the stores) for about .49 a bar.

This stuff works just as good as fels naptha and has a better scent.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast