homemade laundry soap - Page 25
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been really wanting to try this. My question is approximately how much does it cost per load?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried making the liquid once. It was a really big mess (for me anyway! LOL!) I did think that it did a good job, it just took time to make and that's something I didn't have much of back then. Now that I have a little more free time again, I'm thinking of trying it once I run out of the store bought. I make the liquid because I've found powdered detergents don't dissolve as well. I just can't decide whether the recipes with the oxyclean in them are really that much better for the cost? Anyone with experience out there?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd really like to know the price as well cause I am going to try Duggar's recipe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have a problem locating washing soda, go to a pool place that sells swimming pool chemicals for a bucket of Sodium Carbonate. It's the same thing as washing soda, and probably cheaper.

I have used homemade soap off and on for many years, especially when money was tight. After using it for a period of time, clothes get a soap build-up - especially if you have hard water. I would have to switch to detergent to get clothes "bright" again. Homemade soap doesn't rinse out of clothing as readily as detergents do.

I read this recently about using homemade soap, "...causes the fabric to deteriorate while leaving an odor". It's been my experience off-season clothing that have been laundered in homemade soap and stored from one season to another can have an "acidic" or "rancid" smell and had to be rewashed before we could wear them because of the "funky" smell. I suspect this is from the fat in the soaps used in the mixtures.

If you use ZOTE in your homemade mixture, not only is it the cheapest soap you can use, it has optical brighteners in it, so your clothes won't look as gray from hardwater deposits as using other brands of soap - including Fels Naptha.

For best results using homemade soap, be sure to use the hottest water temperatures for the clothing type you are washing. If you use cold water washes, you'll quickly find your laundry doesn't get clean.

If you have a front-loader, this type of product may not work efficiently in it. If you have a new machine that requires certain types of detergent/soap, using homemade soap may cause mold and it may void your warranty. Check with the manufacturer of your washing machine if you need more information about using homemade soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've read it costs about 50 cents a gallon to make the liquid soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use the Duggar family recipe...works fine for me, and according to my calculations about 1 penny per load! Can't beat that!!

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425