tips for saving on laundry detergent? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always use 1/2 of what they say, and I buy the largest box of Tide with color safe bleach I can at Costco. It lasts me such a long time, I rarely buy it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What great tips. I will have to try the foil trick too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default HOMEMADE

HOMEMADE IS THE WAY TO GO FOR ME, AND MINE....I MAKE MY OWN SOAP AND SOFTENER.....THE HUSBAND IS A HUNTER AND WORKS IN A FACTORY AND IT EVEN CLEANS HIS CLOTHES, SOMETIMES I DO ADD OXY CLEAN FOR MY WHITES.......

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Tide, I won't use anything else. However, I've got to buy it on sale, with a coupon and I only use 1/2 the recommended amt. If it's on sale, stock up so you don't have to run out and buy some when you run out of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks for the foil tip! im going to have to give that one a trip.
    DH loves his dryer sheets, and if foil works against static cling too.. well we have a winner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dh is highly allergic to Tide (sometime I'll tell you about the first 3 mos of our marriage....)

I use purex or an off-brand. I look for BOGOF sales. Especially w/ a coupon. I stockpile this and I don't stockpile that much. I keep a REALLY cheap crummy brand around for washing rugs and cleaning rags. I hate to use my 'regular' detergent on these things.

And of course, I use about half as much, and sales on dryer sheets or off brands, but I use a whole dryer sheet, I don't tear them. I also keep around some off brand liquid fabric softener for things I'm going to line dry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Arm and Hammer detergent, which is not expensive and we're not allergic to, and I use a good bit less than the recommended amount. I also don't use dryer sheets much unless there is a possibility of static, and even then I use only 1/4 or 1/3 of a sheet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Edna_E View Post
    Read the directions. For years I thought you were supposed to fill the cap - not realizing that you only need about half of it.
    I was guility of this for years as well. I was using twice the amount I needed.
    Gosh, just think of the money I've wasted on laundry detergent through the years.

Dixie Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also use 2 tablespoons per load. I usually buy tide when its on sale and I have a coupon. Also I'll add 1 tablespoon of borax to each load. One $2.45 box of that last 4-5 months and seems to really boost he cleaning power. I rinse out the detergent container when empty to get every drop.

I found putting detergent in an old sport top drink bottle helps me control the amount I use. You'd have to be careful with small children around that they don't think its something to drink though. I guess a person could use an old dish detergent bottle or soap dispenser with the same effect...just count out how many pumps equals the amount you want to use and write it on the dispenser.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a bottle 50 oz of Tide the day after Thanksgiving for 1.79 and so far I have gotten 28 loads out of it. The bottle says you can get 16 using the recommended amount. I use 2 Tablespoons per load. Works fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did not start using it till May when I was keeping track. I have a ton of laundry soap. I stock up on Friday after Thanksgiving and don't need anymore for a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I read this entire thread and I didn't see this, so I'll post it.

I buy from CVS, cloth, unscented wetwipes (intended to be used as babywipes). If whatever I've used them for isn't gross, I wash and reuse them.

The biggest way I reuse them is to wipe off the outside of the bottle of detergent when I do a load of laundry. We use sun & earth, expensive stuff, but it gets our clothes clean and doesn't make either of us go nuts from allergies. We used HM soap for a while, but things didn't get clean.

We wash in cold water mostly and have lots of minerals in our water.

Anyway, I wipe off the outside of the bottle with one "dry wipe" and then wet a 2nd and wipe down the washing machine too. Both the wipes get added to the load washing. I don't dry them, I stick them in a string bag to dry, then they get added to the available collection (an upsidedown cube tissue holder) in my laundry room.

JD

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anyone who uses Purex and has a CVS near them, the Purex is B1G1 this week! I think there are even coupons floating around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This isn't for detergent, but fabric softener. I have a tupperware jug that I fill with softener. When I do my wash I almost always have a washcloth in it (we use a fresh one every day). I dip the wet washcloth in the softener and that goes in the dryer. No dryer sheets to buy or throw out, my washcloths stay sweet smelling, and the bottled stuff is easier to buy no scent/limited scent than the sheets, and of course it costs way less too.

Yeah!

JD

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Edna_E View Post
    Read the directions. For years I thought you were supposed to fill the cap - not realizing that you only need about half of it.
    I thought this also!! I learned in the village that you don't have to!My number one costcutter in this area!(Thanks Frugalmomof3)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast