Laundry Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I now use half the recommended amount of detergent and put vinegar in my downy ball instead of downy. I used to use dryer sheets all the time and then throw them away. Now I use them only on really staticky things like synthetic fabrics. I keep the used dryer sheets for dusting furniture. I have also started collecting the dryer lint to make fire starters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

you can also use your used dryer sheets to dust with

I cut them in 1/2, and I re-use them. Then, I dust with them

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cut dryer sheets in 1/2, but do not reuse them. I find clothes get full of static if they are reused. As for detergent, I use about 1/2 what the directions call for if the clothes are not really dirty. In the summer, when we are all sweaty, I use the full amount of detergent. Maybe I'm wasteful?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I no longer use dryer sheets and have not missed them one bit. I use Arm & Hammer detergent and slowly cut back how much detergent I would use at a time. I am down to 1/4 of the scoop provided.

As someone else mentioned, I also add the detergent to the water first, cold water only (except for the very small load of delicates which get hot water) then add the clothes. Don't over load, you wont get as clean of clothes so you are not saving time or money imo.

Hang, hang, hang. We have snow during the winter months so I purchased a closet-rod-stand for the laundry room and we installed a long closet rod next to the washer and dryer. I have tons of room to hang clothes, now. My detergent smells very good, I do not miss the dryer sheets at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do use dryer sheets & liquid fabric softner (not by my choice but by dh's choice). I use 1/2 cup of laundry detergent & 1/2 cup of borax. My dh claims when I don't use liquid fabric softner, the clothes smell musty, especially the towels. I use a full fabric softner sheet, and I don't reuse them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reuse them at least 3 times and I only use 1/2 cap of laudry detergent.

I don't have an outside line and don't have alot of room for an inside line, but am trying to hang as much as I can so I don't have to use dryer alot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't typically use dryer sheets. I sometimes use the liquid, then only 1 tsp. For Detergent, I use 2 T. I put both liquids into old water bottles with the lids with tiny holes; that makes it so much easier to restrict the amount used. My clothes come out clean and smell good too.

Just be cautious if you have young kids that they don't get ahold of the bottle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking

I don't have to use dryer sheets.

I make my own laundry soap and since changing over to it, I have had no need. The clothes smell wonderful and no static cling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use less then half of the laundry soap they say,I use fabric softner when I hang clothes. I use dryer sheets for the bath towels and kitchen towels,I do put those in the dryer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A box of dryer sheets can last me up to 2 years! I never use dryer sheets. In the summer, I line dry EVERYTHING (I like the feeling of line dried clothes better), and in the winter I don't use them unless I have a serious static problem. And I usually only have maybe a week or two of static problems each February when the air gets really dry.

I use about a quarter or a cap of detergent in my load of laundry, and found that the clothes feel better on the skin. I didn't notice it until I started using less...but some brands, when you use a full capful, you get a weird feeling on your clothes and you can actually feel the soap residue on your clothes. But I never noticed it until it was gone, and the clothes actually felt cleaner!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Since I am at home now there isn't a large amount
    of laundry for us two. Once a week usually on
    Friday evening I will do the laundry and unless
    it's the summer it's not to bad. Maybe three loads.

We get our laundry detergent from Costco in that
    huge red plastic container and I take a shampoo
    bottle, fill it, and a most time a couple of good
    squirts will do the job for washing the clothes.
    I have noticed since I have started using the
    shampoo bottle method I use a lot less. Do the
    same thing for the fabric softener also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't use sheets. I have a tupperware with half downy and half water.. I keep 3 sponges in it. and throw one in every dry load. I used to use wash rags. but I liked the sponges better

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cut my dryer sheets in half and only use them once. As for detergent I use half of what they say. You just do what's best for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lwlynch View Post
    I don't use sheets. I have a tupperware with half downy and half water.. I keep 3 sponges in it. and throw one in every dry load. I used to use wash rags. but I liked the sponges better
    That's a great tip, I had never heard of this one. Does it matter what kind of sponge? Does it have to be a sea sponge or a synthetic sponge?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The last time I needed to buy detergent the cheapest thing at Big Lots (where I buy most of that sort of thing) was the Oxyclean detergent ball. It was only 2 bucks so I figured I would give it a try. I love it...I don't have to measure (you just leave it in the washer) I add a tiny bit of liquid fabric softener to the built in dispenser in the washer and fill to the top with water. Just to be on the safe side I do add a bit of borax or other booster in with my guy's work clothes since they tend to be grungy. But all in all I think it gets my clothes clean. Two bucks for 30ish loads of wash with no phosphates.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast