Laundry Question - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought Costco brand dryer sheets and well they don't really smell. I toss a whole sheet in the ONE load I now use the dryer for - well ok 2 types: socks/ undies & towels/bedsheets. I often wonder if the Costco brand really does work. I am tempted to go buy Bounce once this box disapears and cut the sheets in half.

Another useful tip for reusing dyer sheets - I take it and run it over my clothes, hair to cut back on the static - great for pantyhose!! I also use it to dust and have tried shoving the once used full sized sheet into my Swiffer Seems to work.

Laundry detergent - I only use 1/4 - 1/3 cap of Purex or Arm & Hammer (the green bottle made from plant extracts) regular detergent, not the ultra stuff. My clothes arent usually dirty but more worn and odour imprinted if you know what I mean.....cooking in the kitchen etc so that lil bit does go a long way and fulfills its job.

I also use the Downey ball with vinegar in the wash as well as 1/2 c vinegar to the COLD wash water then add the detergent. I took will let the load sit for 10-20 mins and then let it wash through. The soak makes a huge diff and the vinegar deodorizes everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a lot to learn since I have found this site. I never thought about cutting my dryer sheets in half.

~~Darlene~~

Daughter Lexi
    Chelsea and Max
    Tangie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use about 1/2 the detergent called for in the washing machine. Have been hanging up laundry to dry for past 9 months, but prior to that I reused dryer sheets. Would use 1 two times, then 2 old ones together in one load. Then used the worn out sheets for dusting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I soak an old wash cloth in liquid softner, hand it to dry and add this same cloth to my dryer for about 40 (yes I meant 40!)loads. Works great! I make homemade laudry detergent that I use for darks. I do use 1/2 of what is recomended for the whites load of bought laudry soap. I've also used vinegar for softner during the rinse which works very well too... but I always forgot

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reused mine... of course i no longer use them anymore just because i ran out and never remember to put in the liquid.

Once i used them once i would put 2 used ones in the next load... then i would rip them into 1/3 and tie them to hangers to keep clothes fresh smelling.. i also put them in drawers in old socks or sashets.

As for laundry detergent when i am using a Detergent i use probubly 3Tbsp of liquid or so of Extra in a Large or what my washer calls Super Large Load. If i make my own 1 Cup Grated and kneeded Soap, 1Cup Borax, 1 Cup Soda Ash then i will use 1Tbsp for a Large Load of laundry.

For my Diapers i am planning on washing them in Borax, which is what i wash my towels in and they do fine.

Once we get a line up so i can line dry some clothes( at my last place the line was so low i couldn't dry any pants because both of our legs would drag the ground *lol* we are both tall ) i will be putting all my diapers out on the line and will be putting some clothes on the line.. my grandmother always did the trick of putting the clothes on the line til they were dry or almost dry then pop them in the dryer for a few minutes. That gets rid of the stiff line dry feel on the clothes, yet saves a good bit of $.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a front loading washer and use about 2 Tblsp of detergent use downy in the dispenser.
    Just a tip for those that use dryer sheets you can take a spray bottle fill with liquid fabric softner and spray a couple of sprays on a damp wash rag and get the same results.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have tried using them more than once, but it never seems to work. I wish it did, though - because I buy the expensive brand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also only use half a dryer sheet per load. I usually use 3/4 of a capful of detergent as we have extremly hard water here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MOMMYDEAREST View Post
    I do use dryer sheets & liquid fabric softner (not by my choice but by dh's choice). I use 1/2 cup of laundry detergent & 1/2 cup of borax. My dh claims when I don't use liquid fabric softner, the clothes smell musty, especially the towels. I use a full fabric softner sheet, and I don't reuse them.
    I wash my towels in hot (we have a well) water with 1/4 of detergent and baking soda as needed and it's okay for towels. We had to stop using softener for my daughters skin irritation and new way to wash towels has really helped.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make my own laundry detergent - a large load calls for 1/2 cup which costs less than 1cent.

We hang everything to dry - then 'soften' for a few minutes in the dryer. I use an old, cotton, cloth napkin sprayed with diluted store brand/generic fabric softener (mix 1/2 and 1/2 in a pistol grip sprayer). I don't have to spray it for every load - just when it feels like it needs it. We have had the same bottle of fabric softener for over 5 years and there's at least a third of a bottle remaining!

Ellen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't use dryer sheets anymore since I discovered Dryer Balls. They are reusable for several years and no chemicals. They were 20.00 for the set, but I have since seen them for less than that. Even at 20.00, they are a bargan because you can use them for years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I`ve seen the dryer ball`s at cvs for
    10;00 ....I alway`s reuse my sheet`s.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only use dryer sheets 1 time but only use 1/4 to 1/2 a sheet

As far as detergent I use the reccomended amount but it is not the entire lid if you look WAY down in the lid the line is like 1/4 or 1/2 the way down the inside of the lid

Same thing with the powdered the reccomended amount is not the entire cup but the line 1/2 way down the measuring cup.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the balls, I found them to be really loud. Did anyone else find that?

I re-use dryer sheets until they don't smell any more, probably about 3 times each one.

~Tami

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't buy them anymore. I can't notice a difference. I use the value Kroger brand liquid detergent. Before I became an FV'er I used Gain or Purex and washed on warm and used a whole cap of detergent. What a waste. I'm down to 1/4 to 1/2 cap - DH's work clothes can be really dirty sometimes and the 1/2 gets them as clean as they can get.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast