Laundry Question
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Laundry Question

I am curious, when you do your laundry, how many people reuse their dryer sheets in the dryer? and how many times do you use it? My DH says you should only use the dryer sheets once and throw it away. I feel that they can be used more than once. Also, how much soap do you use per load when washing your clothing? I have found my clothes get just as clean using much less than the reccommend amount by the manufacturer. In fact, someone said that if you use the reccommened amount by the manufacturer, it will shorten the lifespan of the washer. Any thoughts??

Pizzamaker

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I reuse my dryer sheets until they are just little mangly twist bits of next to nothing. I use only about 1/2 lid of detergent. My clothes still get just as clean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As for sheets in dryer, I use 1/4 of mine each load. Then i toss out, or throw in a drawer to keep smelling fresh.

The detergent I use about 1/2 a capfull. Sometimes less, and then rinse the cap with the water in the washer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I only use dryer sheets once -- mostly because we have to do laundry at my grandparents' house or at the laundromat. Once we move in Feb. and have our own w/d, I will probably get more use out of them. Or cut them into 1/4 (although I don't know why I haven't done that yet...)

For laundry soap, I use about 1/2 cap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a plastic measuring cup attached with elastic to the shelf above the washer. I use 1/4 cup of detergent per load along with 1/2 cup of Borax and a Downey ball. I am using the Extra brand from Wally World. It's about half the price of the name brand stuff and works fine for us. The Borax is making a difference in keeping out whites their brightest with the well water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't use the sheets, I use the downy ball. As for detergent I use half the lid on the bottle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

when i used dryer sheets i cut them at least in half.
    and we use about 1/2 the recommended amount of soap. and some vinegar often in the rinse to get the residue out

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use half the lid on the detergent bottle. I rarely reuse my dryer sheets though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do not use dryer sheet as I refuse to buy a dryer. I do own a washer however I air dry everything. I have found that air drying everything really extends the life cycle of my clothes.

After reading the responses here I think that I will decrease the amount of clothes detergent which I currently use.

One thing which has made a BIG difference in cleanliness in my clothes is my method of washing clothes. First, I use cold water for everything. Second, I insert the detergent into the washer, then add the clothes, then I allow the washer to fill with water and begin agitating for 5 minutes. I then turn off the washer and let the clothes soak for 20 minutes ( I set my oven timer). I then turn the washer back on and let the clothes complete the washer cycles. Allowing the clothes to have the 20 minutes of soaking makes a big difference.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I cut dryer sheets in half and then use one time. I use about hald a capful of detergent unless clothes are very dirty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I see no reason not to reuse dryer sheets. You can still feel the fabric softener in them after a short drying round. Also, my mother was trained as a home economist when they actually had to do research on wear-and-tear on both fabrics and on machines - for what it is worth, I've seen her use extremely little soap on loads that were not really soiled but that she just wanted to freshen. I don't think she would have if it were going to be hard on the machine.

Registered User thriftstorequeen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I reuse the sheets when i use the dryer. I try to line dry almost everything. I only put enought soap in the cap to cover the bottom of the lid. Everything comes out fresh and clean!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to rip my dryer sheets in half or 1/3 when i used them.. then reused 2 together in a subsequent load. Then i would tie them on hangers or put them in old socks or sashets in drawers, which kept everything smelling like it just came out of the dryer. I used to make my own laundry detergent from borax and Octagon and mix it with a little regular laundry detergent so it wouldn't seperate. Many a time i just used Borax to wash with and it worked just fine.

I have been using Extra.. i had a large 98 load bottle which lasted me a year .. and i know i have done a LOT more then 98 loads of laundry. I used Borax as a booster for whites and really light colors.

I finally got some Soda Ash ( AKA Washing Soda ) here a while back and now i am going to get some more Borax and use my own homemade Lye soap and make myself some Laundry Detergent. I am going to try it dry first and if i do not like how it works i will make a liquid form. For my diapers i am planning on using a wet bucket of Borax solution and using borax in the wash. For the moment til i get the laundry soap made i have a smaller Probubly 48 load bottle of Extra to use and i still have tons of softener cause i always forget to put it in *lol*.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can certainly re-use them or cut them in half.

Or...not use them at all! I don't. I've found that I really have no reason to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have a water softener so i only use 1/4 of what it ask for. And since I"m on the no use dryer days, I wont be using sheets.
    Otherwise I cut the sheets too in 1/3 and use it just enought to soften clothes after they air dried in furnace room.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast