2009 Needlework Arts Challenge!!
Page 1 of 165 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2009 Needlework Arts Challenge!!

MARCH:

Okay, many of you have threatened to stop knitting, crocheting, cross-stitching, etc once spring weather hits, so this may be the last challenge you have a chance to complete until fall! I'll keep posting them, for those who want to try them. For the rest of you, marching to the beat of your own drummer, feel free to continue to post what you are working on!

So, given that all of you are thinking about your garden, the challenge for March is to do something green or related to nature. This could be a botanical cross-stitch; a pair of green socks; sewing together a canvas bag in which to harvest your veggies - you are limited only by your imagination (and the theme: green or related to botany/nature).
    Last edited by madhen; 02-25-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oooooh, this sounds like fun!! I will get back and let you know what I plan on doing! Thanks madhen!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey, this is perfect! My sweater WIP is green, and I'm considering making the baby blanket I've been talking about out of some green cotton I just found. Also wanting to finish the GREEN crocheted lap blanket I've been working on. I guess I'm on a green kick right now - perfect timing

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Perfect! I have a set of screen walls and a set of solid walls for our QuikShade canopy we use for camping, and both need to be re-worked. (This is what happens when you buy cheap knowing they won't fit, but can't resist the price anyway.)

And the first thing I thought of as I read through Madhen's post is the wolf howling at the moon beaded on deep blue velvet that I started years ago and haven't gotten done. That has to do with nature! So does the turtle shell I need to bead something for. That's been sitting around a couple years now, too.

I better not think too much about this one or I'll have a list that goes on forever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I posted the challenge with NOTHING in mind to do for myself, but I think I have a project. I have been wanting to do something with some beautiful green silk boucle yarn that I bought years ago and have been afraid to touch, because it is so gorgeous, no project has ever seemed worthy.

Some years ago, I knitted myself a shawl out of black trellis yarn (aka ladder yarn), and every time I wear it, I get the ooh's and ah's, because it is really a spectacular piece (although laughably easy to make - basically just a four-foot long rectangle folded in half and sewn together, with room left for your head. But the drape is really nice, and it just looks very dramatic and sexy, with the open weave (knitted on size 15) and fringe. So I am going to try it with the silk yarn, to see if I can get a similar result with the boucle as I did with the ladder yarn. I am debating using the boucle WITH a green ladder yarn, but I think the former is pretty enough to stand by itself. If I have enough left over, I may try both versions.
    Last edited by madhen; 02-26-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds really pretty madhen.

I think I have decided what I want to make as well. I have a large spool of heavy rug-type yarn that I got at Goodwill (it is a dark sage green color) . I have been trying to decide what to do with it so I think I am going to make a round (I will try) table top runner thingy that I can put my basket of fruit on(I have a pic in my mind). If it turns out nice, I will give it to my Mom for Easter....if I don't care for the look, I will keep it for myself. I have one similiar to what I want to make but it is dark brown, tan and sage green. I love it, so I want to try and copy it. I might even embroider something on the top.

So, there it is. I am going to continue making squares out of my rug yarn for a big outside rug. I tried to put the squares together last night so see how it would look and I am loving the outcome. It kindof looks like a patchwork rug but it needs to be bigger.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is a pic from the pattern. The actual shawl looked prettier - this one looks heavier and tighter than mine turned out.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oooooh, that is pretty!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    Here is a pic from the pattern. The actual shawl looked prettier - this one looks heavier and tighter than mine turned out.
    Is there a link to the pattern?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Madhen, that is lovely!

I am on to the sleeves for my sweater. Next week sometime, I'll pick up a skein of the green I need to finish the crocheted blanket. I need to do some research for the baby blanket and see if I have the needles called for or not. I've only got one circular needle, and its currently employed with the sleeves (though I could move them to straight needles, I think), so we'll see!

Knitting group tonight! I'm so looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    Is there a link to the pattern?
    There is. It is on the Lion Brand Yarn website. The problem is that you have to register (for free) to access the free patterns. So when you click on the link, it asks for your registration name/password.

If you want to check it out, here is the link:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kt...html?noImages=

If it takes you to the registration page, you will need to create a user name/password, and then it will PROBABLY take you to the home page instead of directly to the link to the pattern.

If that is the case, go to free knitting patterns and do a search for Pattern 40529.

(See why I didn't post the link? )
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is a link for a similar shawl, but crocheted. Same type of yarn.

http://www.woolneedlework.com/Free_P...et_in_Eros.htm
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ooooh, madhen, thanks for the link to the crocheted one! I even understand the pattern! I am definitely going to make this. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am glad SOMEONE understands it! I got about half way through the first line before my eyes rolled back in my head....
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could do it!! It is quite simple actually. Instead of single crochet, it is triple crochet. See? Really easy!

Page 1 of 165 12341151101 ... LastLast