Any handquilters out there?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Any handquilters out there?

I handquilt, machine quilt (small items) and tie quilts.

I just can't seem to manage machine quilting large items.

Do you use a large quilting frame or a hoop?

I tend to forget that the quilt needs and time slips away. Any hints on how to get me quilting faster?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HANDQUILT???????

Yikes..........if it can't be done on the machine I AIN'T DOING IT!!! I even hate sewing buttons on new shirts!!!!!!

If it is too big to machine quilt......I usually make queen sized for quilts.....I will send it out only if I want to use it. Otherwise they become UFO's......and if someone wants it THEY can pay to get it quilted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How about an old fashion quilting bee?

Well, if not that, I use a lap quilt about 20" square, just doing a small section at a time - that's for my traditional Hawaiian quilting. Have never tried machine quilting - don't have the right type of machine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am a hand quilter and I have not figured out a way to do it any faster. I have not tried machine quilting nor do I have the right type/size of machine. I really want to make a full size quilt but I am afraid to start, knowing I will have to do it all by hand or send it out and I don't have the money to send it out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have machine quilted a queen size but it is hard to hold under the machine and you need lots of support..Now I use the quilt as you go...I will make a block,sandwich it as I would the quilt and quilt it by its self leaving about 3/4 of an inch around the block..I usually make that back about 1 in larger than the block..then I put the blocks together I will sew the quilt blocks on to the next makeing rows just sewing the quilt block to each other not the back or batting. then I will french seam the backs.I usually work in rows and then put the rows together..Takes a bit of layout to get the blocks where you want them but I lay them all out and mark row # and Strip #.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for those great suggestions brat! I was thinking of doing it something like that. It is going to have to be my next project once winter hits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have seen people machine quilting large quilts but it takes a lot of space, support and patience. I have used a longarm machine and it is wonderful, but I don't have thousands of dollars for my own machine. I like handquilting also, I remember my grandmother having quilting bees and everyone taking pride in how small thier stitches were.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    How about an old fashion quilting bee?
    perfect......when can we get together?

Oh well, I'll plug on. Actually it's not so bad, I just start in the middle and work the way out using a oval shape hoop. I don't put as much quilting on it and when I finish I celebrate! I don't know how many hours, but I make it goal to finish the quilting in one year.

I'm surprised that more ladies aren't returning to handquilting, with the economy etc. I've tied a couple of quilts this year and it worked just fine.

My aunt (92) gave me the blocks she started back when Georgia Bonestelle made lap quilting/quilt as you go popular. Now to put them together and see if I can do a nice job on those french seams on the back.

happy stitching to all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    I have machine quilted a queen size but it is hard to hold under the machine and you need lots of support..Now I use the quilt as you go...I will make a block,sandwich it as I would the quilt and quilt it by its self leaving about 3/4 of an inch around the block..I usually make that back about 1 in larger than the block..then I put the blocks together I will sew the quilt blocks on to the next makeing rows just sewing the quilt block to each other not the back or batting. then I will french seam the backs.I usually work in rows and then put the rows together..Takes a bit of layout to get the blocks where you want them but I lay them all out and mark row # and Strip #.

Great idea - quilt as you go!! and this way makes it easy to take with you anywhere!!

Vickilynn - I would love it if we could all get together and quilt!!

Debbie- Just go for it!! Then you can keep yourself warm in the winter by curling up in your quilt as you hand quilt it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I machine piece and hand quilt.

The hand quilting is my favorite part so I tend to do easy fast tops so I can get "on with it" lol.

I like to put in a movie I know and love like Pride and Predjuice and have a sewing spree so I can look up from my work and know exactly what is happening on tv without getting lost.

I really need a project for the camper!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I took 3 quilting classes at the fabric store in 2003, so I started 3 quilts. One was a baby quilt which was hand pieced and hand quilted, that one was finished. One was a baby quilt that was machine pieced and hand quilted, that one was finished. The other was the behemoth that I've been plugging away at ever since. It was machine pieced and then *supposed* to be machine quilted, only I made a huge mess trying to quilt on the machine. It was frustrating and horrible, so I just got out my hoop and started by hand.

When I work on it, I just put the hoop on an empty section, sit down on the couch and plug away. It's actually quite pleasant in the winter - plus it keeps me from snacking since I don't want to get anything on it. I used to stitch almost every evening, either cross stitch or quilt, I really should get back into it. You can get so much done during an average tv night.

Since we're in the challenge section - I'm going to challenge myself to not sit in front of the television for the next month unless I have a needle in my hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good for you! You'll get that quilt finished in no time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm hand quilting a queen size quilt right now. I just couldn't bring myself to machine quilt it on my sewing machine - way too stressful for me. I hate paying the big bucks to have it done on a longarm. So.....hand quilting it had to be! I did exactly what someone else said - just did it. Sit down and get started.

I enjoy the process of hand quilting; I love the feel of a hand quilted quilt over a machine quilted - it's much softer and cuddlier. But I just hate the sitting down time to get it done. I decided to keep track of my hours spent on it. I'm 'almost done' meaning I have my main blocks done, and I have half-triangles around the edges and the border left. The last time I added it up I was close to 50 hours just in quilting. So that part I am NOT enjoying! Plus I gave myself a deadline to have it finished by the time we leave on vacation on June 20th. It's actually going to go on the bed in our trailer so we'll be using it during our vacation. Having a deadline helped tremendously because it has forced me to work on it, and I've spent anywhere from 2-5 hours A DAY working on this thing.

But let me tell ya - I don't normally sit this much in the evening. TV or no, I'm usually up and down doing this or that. But while I'm quilting I'm so wrapped up - literally - in the quilt I don't want to move and have to get 'comfortable' again where I left off. And I won't lie - I can feel my rear end growing...and growing...and growing....

So I don't think I will do this again. In fact, I've pretty much decided I won't make any more big quilts. Wall hangings are fine - easy to quilt on my machine. My favorites are baby quilts cause they are just so darned cute and fun to make. But everyone has a quilt now, or 3 or 4, so I'll give it up for a while.

BTW - I don't use a hoop. A friend who is a superb quilter told me she doesn't use one either. I just can't get it to work right.

Good luck on your project! It's always fun to see the finished project

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dmil doesn't use a hoop either and she does beautiful work. Like everything else it takes practice and getting used to working with it. Don't give up on the idea because it isn't so bad once you get the hang of it. I have one large hoop on a stand and an oval smaller one and I'll do that any day over machine quilting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default quilting ..

I quilted for a bunch of years and stopped when the kids came home.
    Now that the kids are in school full-time, I've restarted. This time I'm hanging out at the quilt shop sewing away, making new friends and keeping on track. And as I've been reinspired, we created a very tiny sewing room in the cellar for me. Folding table for sewing, old kitchen island for cutting/ironing. Swivel chair.

I've quilt large twins on the machine. Mostly stippling.

The side of the quilt jammed up against the sewing machine, curl it up as tight as possible and use binder clips, clothes pins, anything clamp like to hold. Or Safety pins. You could even use thread - going right through the middle of the quilt to tie it - maybe dental floss, embroidery thread or quilting thread would hold it.

Another suggestion, instead of the quilt as you go method doing one block at a time, sew together strips of your quilt to machine quilt. The strips could be anywhere from 2 to 4 feet wide and the length of the finished quilt. Less work at the end.

I've quilted a queen size by hand. It was a grandmother's flower garden and no, I did not quilt inside every hexagon.

I do like curling up on the couch and doing handwork.

I'm never watching tv without sewing, embroidering, or knitting.

I've also gotten into the habit of listening to the ipod (usually podcasts) as I sew on the machine. Books on tape/CD/ipod work great too.

Heck, I was with the kids at the playground and walked the balance beam as I was knitting a sock

I'm currently handpiecing another grandmother's flower garden.
    I haven't decided if I'll do a center of applique.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast