2011 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 11
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

End of month update:

1. Knit through the rest of Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitter's Almanac". - all ready to go on the mitred mitts but want to finish knitting man's scarf first.

2. Finish quilts for the house. - all ready to go, just need to make time to sandwich the sampler quilt (maybe with a friend?) and hand quilt the TATW quilt.

3. Do at least one piece of handwork for charity a month. - I did a lot for charity this month. I knit and gave away a scarf. Am knitting another scarf now. I've started a group we call Crafting for Missions for lack of a better title. I'm involving the church ladies in making things to sell to raise money for a mission.

4. Finish the renovations on the inside of the house. - the contractor was in with his help to repair ceilings. Monday they'll be stippling them. Tuesday we get the invoice.

5. Finish projects started - 1 per month. - Finished a whole raft of sewing projects and mending this month...6 or 7. Still have a pile left to work on...next month...

6. Knit socks that fit. - ripped my socks back to the beginning of the heel. Haven't figured out how to fix the pattern yet. Need to talk to someone about that...

7. Read 2 books a month. - I actually finished 3: "The Tipping Point", "The Dead Sea Scrolls", and "Artistic Photo Quilts".

8. Take a course in something new this year. - that won't happen till March. I'm signed up for an on-line course.

9. Finish "Reflections from a Mother's Heart". - will start this in February.

10. Organize sewing room files. - DONE!

11. Sew through one drawer unit of fabric. - Have plans. Have offered to let church ladies sew up fabric as long as it is sold for missions. We'll see if they bite. I also have housecoat patterns for DH and I. I sewed up a wrapping paper storage bag from some denim too.

12. Have wills updated. - Later this year.

13. Visit the Maritimes. - Maybe Christmastime. We are tentatively talking with other people about congregating in the Maritimes for Christmas.

14. Enter entire book collection in Readerware. - Top two floors done. Onto the basement books in February!

15. Have a spiritual retreat once a month. - Had one in January that totally rocked my socks and changed my direction for the year. I think February's will be either on hospitality or relationships.

16. Practice hospitality. Have at least one couple/person in per pay period for a meal and evening fun. - I've had lots of people in and gone out with lots of people. I find if I just have part of a day where I'm with people I can still get something done during the day otherwise. I try to take constructive things to do with people too. So I went to stitch-in with a group of ladies this morning and took the scarf I'm knitting for charity. And I spent time visiting people this month talking about Crafting for Missions and hospitality.

17. Study up on time management and apply it. - I was at the library yesterday and did a search of You Tube videos on the subject. Also checked out some related books. Picked up David Allen's "Getting Things Done" and continued reading it. I decided to put my "Next Action" lists in a mindmap in Curio on my computer. Much easier to figure out what needs to be done next when I can fiddle with graphics to make things stand out. Did a partial plan of a Valentine's Day sale and a Mother's Day sale.

18. Explore fibre arts. Try new techniques. - Finished reading "Artistic Photo Quilts" and played with Photoshop Elements to make various graphics of the gingerbread house we made for Christmas. Not sure what, if anything, I'll do with them. Might make a nice wall quilt for Christmastime...

19. Be more consistent in my volunteer efforts at church. - Well I bombed on providing information on the church library at the end of the month. It wasn't in my daytimer! I MUST write it down for next month.

On the other hand, I have been deeply involved in getting Crafting for Missions set up and running. It has taken over my life right now. We'll see how it goes. We'll try the one sale for Valentine's Day and go from there...

20. Save $30,000 for renos this year. - So far we have $7000 saved. But soon we'll have to pay the guy who repaired our ceilings upstairs, and that will bring it down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

February To Do

~ finish man's scarf.
    ~ start knitting mitred mitts.
    ~ work on socks to fit. Talk to friend about pattern...
    ~ get help sandwiching sampler quilt.
    ~ start hand quilting TATW quilt.
    ~ sandwich and machine quilt charity quilts.
    ~ go with DH to pick up hardwood to repair floors.
    ~ Pick up tile for fireplace hearth.
    ~ Sandblast heat registers.
    ~ Work through mending/sewing pile in sewing room...at least one item a week.
    ~ Finish reading “Getting Things Done” and apply it!
    ~ Read Guideposts book friend loaned me.
    ~ Read “Spiritual House Cleaning”.
    ~ Write in “Reflections from a Mother's Heart” daily.
    ~ Sew housecoats for DH and I.
    ~ Enter basement books in Readerware.
    ~ Have a spiritual retreat on hospitality or relationships or evangelism on January 31st.
    ~ Continue inviting ladies in for Crafting for Missions on Saturdays. Pick out people to invite in this month.
    ~ Pick a fibre arts book to play with this month.
    ~ Learn to make chocolate blocks.
    ~ Learn to make pasta.
    ~ Learn to make soap.
    ~ Write library update in daytimer and make sure I do it!
    ~ Save $1500 for renovations.
    ~ Buy vodka to make vanilla extract.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

7. Read 2 books a month. - Put "Spiritual House Cleaning" and the Guideposts book by my chair to read.

9. Finish "Reflections from a Mother's Heart". - Also beside my chair to write in.

16. Practice hospitality. Have at least one couple/person in per pay period for a meal and evening fun. - Had the Crafting for Missions group in today. My hospitality must be rubbing off on DH. He's out to a movie with a friend tonight...and talking about inviting people in. Will be having two friends in this week at least.

18. Explore fibre arts. Try new techniques. - the next fibre book to work through is called "Creating Sketchbooks", on design books for textile arts.

17. Study up on time management and apply it. - read more of "Getting Things Done". Decided my "desk" is really the area by the big chair in the living room. Used Mr. Allen's approach to clean up the area and it's working like a dream. Gotta love that man. Just need to be creative about how I apply his ideas.

19. Be more consistent in my volunteer efforts at church. - Had the Crafting for Missions ladies in today. Will have people in throughout the week related to this. Hopefully, we will be able to hold a sale next weekend.

20. Save $30,000 for renos this year. - DH got paid yesterday. Went over the proposed spending plan and realized he didn't have very much in savings. Chatted him up and found a few hundred extra to go there. Required a rehash of our budget, but it was about time. DH has everything all messed up in Quicken. I usually do my own budget the beginning of every year and handle the cash my way. I let him worry about Quicken. I give up with it. He likes to get nit-picky and bean count. I find that frustrating. This time I made sure the budget categories made sense to me though. I wanted to switch to another system, but he is adamant he wants to use Quicken. I really don't see the difference between the stripped down version of Quicken and You-Need-A-Budget though. Oh well...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! That's quite a list for February! I need to think about what I want to do and maybe can do in Feb and post a end of the month update for Jan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm more than a little worried that's way too much for such a short month!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OK. I decided to do a breakdown to keep me on track...

~ finish man's scarf - 1st priority in knitting.
    ~ start knitting mitred mitts. - 3rd priority in knitting.
    ~ work on socks to fit. Talk to friend about pattern... - 2nd priority in knitting.
    ~ get help sandwiching sampler quilt. - I keep waiting for my friend to feel better. She's had one illness after another this winter. I am going to ask someone else to help me.
    ~ start hand quilting TATW quilt. - I need to get it to church, where there are large tables and lots of room, so I can put the quilting design on the borders!
    ~ sandwich and machine quilt charity quilts. - easy to do at home. Should be able to finish 2 quilts this month. But really am only setting a goal to do one.
    ~ go with DH to pick up hardwood to repair floors. - this is dependent on whether he decides to get the main floor work done this coming month.
    ~ Pick up tile for fireplace hearth. - ditto
    ~ Sandblast heat registers. - ditto
    ~ Work through mending/sewing pile in sewing room...at least one item a week.
    ~ Finish reading “Getting Things Done” and apply it! - am working on this now. It's helpful.
    ~ Read Guideposts book friend loaned me. - started last night. It's a bunch of short stories. The type is so small it's hard for me to read though.
    ~ Read “Spiritual House Cleaning”.
    ~ Write in “Reflections from a Mother's Heart” daily.
    ~ Sew housecoats for DH and I. - OK, realistically with all the quilting I have planned, this might not get done. But I can at least cut out the pieces.
    ~ Enter basement books in Readerware. - This will take awhile. I have two bookcases down there. But over half the bookcases are binders and DVDs...not books.
    ~ Have a spiritual retreat on hospitality or relationships or evangelism on January 31st. - Will see. We have a guy coming to stipple the ceiling that day. I suspect it will be too noisy for a retreat. Will have to put this off till a later date.
    ~ Continue inviting ladies in for Crafting for Missions on Saturdays. Pick out people to invite in this month. - I may take a week or two break with this after Valentine's Day. If the VD sale works, then our next sale will be Mother's Day in May. We'll have quite a bit of lead time to build up to that.
    ~ Pick a fibre arts book to play with this month. - Picked "Creating Sketchbooks", which will dovetail nicely with my on-line class coming up on the same topic.
    ~ Learn to make chocolate blocks. - Now I'm curious. I am going to have to keep trying till I figure it out.
    ~ Learn to make pasta. - just gotta do it!
    ~ Learn to make soap. - probably won't get done.
    ~ Write library update in daytimer and make sure I do it! - sigh. Need to spend one afternoon at the church going through books to highlight a few in the bulletin.
    ~ Save $1500 for renovations. - Looks like it will be more like $1000
    ~ Buy vodka to make vanilla extract. - just gotta do it. DH and I don't normally visit the liquor store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This was my January To-Do List

Birds- spend time at the feeder daily for hand-taming birds I haven't done this daily but several days each week. Still only have chickadees and titmice feeding from my hand.

Bird Blind- ask DH to help me design the bird blind DONE
    sketch the design DONE
    figure out how much fabric I need DONE
    decide on which camo type I want
    begin saving money for the fabric In progress. It shouldn't be much more than $20.00 for the fabric and that about that much for the hardware.

Propagating Plants
    Make a list of plants I want to propagate DONE
    Make a schedule of when to take cuttings or sow seeds DONE
    Order seeds
    This project can coordinate with woodland and bird gardens

Woodland Garden
    Find photos of woodland gardens that I like In progress
    Start a file for photos and articles DONE
    Make a list of plants I want
    Draw up a garden plan
    Make a monthly work schedule

Bird Garden
    Find photos of bird gardens that I like In progress
    Start a file for photos and articles DONE
    Draw up a garden plan

Family History
    Finish questions with Mom
    Call to schedule visit with elderly relative
    Take photo to see if she can ID people

Old Photos
    Ask elderly relative if I can take photos of her photos

Family Portrait DONE!! We did this last night
    Email DD1 and tell her I want to do this while they are here
    See if DD2 can come up with a nice backdrop
    Coordinate our outfits with the backdrop
    Take several photos

Piano Lessons
    Get lesson materials together DONE
    Determine where I am DONE
    Include finger exercises & techniques DONE
    Set up a schedule for learning and practice DONE

Singing Lessons
    Look over lessons; set up a schedule with DS & his computer This changed as DS hooked up speakers to my computer and we got the audio going on mine. Yay!
    Practice vocal exercises daily Not daily but have practiced often

Music CDs Did not accomplish much here
    Decide on song list with DS & DD2
    Arrange at least 3 of the songs
    Practice these 3 songs
    Record these 3 songs

Spanish
    Choose 1 book to work through DONE
    Listen to Learnables tapes
    Watch Spanish Christian TV station 3 hours per week

History
    Choose a period to study DONE
    Gather materials- my library, public library, online DONE
    How can I determine if I'm learning anything? Still haven't come up with anything here. I know I need to discuss what I'm learning with someone, probably the family, so I can remember and test my memory.

Bible
    Continue with the Genesis series I started last year I've listened to 2 lessons in the series and enjoyed them very much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, it looks like you have lots of good reno plans for Feb too. I hope that moves along smoothly.

I'm not so good with hospitality. DH is the social, hospitable one here. That's why I added "Invite neighbors for a vegetarian meal". He's been wanting me to do that and I sort of want too but not enough to actually do it, you know? I hope to do it before gardening time because then I'll be too busy and use that for ans excuse!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MY ORIGINAL TWENTY WISHES LIST

1. make a portable bird blind from camo fabric
    2. make a “bird garden” with plants to attract more birds
    3. hand tame wild birds at the feeder
    4. propagate perennials and shrubs to landscape with
    5. make my woodland garden pretty again
    6. mat and frame Mom's paintings
    7. make scrapbooks for paper keepsakes
    8. write my family's history
    9. have a family portrait made DONE
    10. get copies old family photos
    11. complete US School of Music piano lessons
    12. complete Singorama singing lessons
    13. make a CD with DDs and DS (just for us and the grandmas!)
    14. find some fellow singers and form a trio or a quartet or a quintet
    15. learn more Spanish
    16. write a book
    17. study history
    18. study the Bible more
    19. invite neighbors over for a vegetarian meal
    20.go to the Creation Museum in Kentucky

Here's My February To-Do List and breakdown

1. Bird Blind- decide on which camo type I want
    order camo fabric
    buy hardware

2. Bird Garden
    Continue to find photos of bird gardens that I like
    Draw up a garden plan

3. Birds- spend time at the feeder daily for hand-taming birds

4. Propagating Plants
    order seeds
    write the schedule I made on my calendar in the proper months

5. Woodland Garden
    continue to find photos of woodland gardens that I like
    make a list of plants I want
    draw up a garden plan
    make a monthly work schedule

8. Family History
    complete Mother and Father memory books
    finish questions with Mom
    call to schedule visit with elderly relative
    take photo to see if she can ID people

10. Old Photos
    ask elderly relative if I can take photos of her photos
    make a list of other relatives whose photos I want copies of

11. Piano Lessons
    complete at least 4 USSM lessons
    complete at least 4 Gospel Piano lessons
    practice daily

12. Singing Lessons
    practice vocal exercises daily
    complete at least 6 Singorama lessons

13. Music CDs
    Decide on song list with DS & DD2
    Arrange at least 3 of the songs
    Practice these 3 songs
    Record these 3 songs

14. find some fellow singers and form a trio or a quartet or a quintet
    practice with the group at least once this month

15. Spanish
    complete lessons 8-11 in Magic Key to Spanish
    take test at end of lesson 11
    watch Spanish Christian TV station 3 hours per week

17. History
    read lectures 5-10 (this covers Greek Renaissance to early Rome)
    read lectures 1-3 of Paul Hasel's online course
    discuss each lecture with the family to test my memory

18. Bible Study
    watch Genesis lectures 6-9, taking notes
    discuss with family

19. invite neighbors over for a vegetarian meal
    plan a nice, simple vegetarian meal
    invite at least one couple
    actually fix and eat the meal!

That's probably more than enough for February. I am pleased with my January progress. I think I've made more progress this month than I did all of 2010.

Thank you, Peanut for helping me learn to break down my projects. That makes it so much easier to actually get things done. I like seeing your breakdowns as it helps me to do mine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    MY ORIGINAL TWENTY WISHES LIST

3. hand tame wild birds at the feeder
    I love the idea, but keep in mind that it isn't necessarily good for wild birds to learn to not fear people. It can really put their lives at risk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I understand this but because they come to my hand doesn't mean they are tame for every human. I did this back in 1989 and never once did any of the birds come to any other person in my family even though they tried to get them to. They only came to me. I know that birds in picnic areas, etc. are more likely to lose their fear of humans because they see so many humans. But I do appreciate your concern! Shows you are a true bird lover. The welfare of the birds certainly comes first in my opinion!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Daylily: Why don't you make the meal with your neighbors a potluck vegetarian meal? That takes some of the pressure off you. Or is that not done in your part of the world? Different places have different attitudes towards potlucks. Mostly in Canada they are a good thing.

Glad my goal breakdowns are helping you. They're helping me too. This morning I copied my February goals into a little hardcover notebook I carry with me everywhere. Means I don't need to get on-line to check FV (and get distracted for an hour!) before doing something constructive!

Now, off to make some candy/chocolate...after phoning my daughter. I miss her voice...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, that is a good idea except....the neighbors don't know how to cook vegetarian! That's why they want to come to my house.. lol!
    Potluck is common here too though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aaah! This is in the name of "education" then. Well, pick something easy that you can make ahead. Or have ready by the time they arrive. So you can spend time visiting with them and 'enlightening' them.

I remember what it was like for us when we decided to try some vegetarian meals every week. We thought it was going to be a big production. But DH's cousin, a vegetarian, stayed with us awhile and we had no problems coming up with vegetarian meals we could all live with. Though my girls insisted on red meat every few days for lunch! Thanks to DH's cousin we've cut back to red meat only once or twice a week. And we were introduced to some fantastic salads!

If they want to learn to cook some vegetarian recipes then you have a captive audience, and the potential for an evening full of fun! If I were near you, I'd come!

~~~~~

Haven't done much on my 20 Wishes today. I did talk to my DD#1 on the phone for over 2 hours. Haven't talked to her in over 2 months though. I was beginning to forget what her voice sounded like. Will have to phone DD#2 some other time. Was going to do that today too, but we have company coming for supper. Gotta get ready.

I did talk to DD#1 on the phone about the cards we made to sell for missions. She thinks we are pricing them too low for what they are. She checked them out on my blog. She used to work in a card store, so I think she is aware of what's available. She actually likes them much better than the ones at the store. She thought they were well designed. Hmm...hope she wasn't just trying to make me feel good... I'll run her ideas by our master cardmaker when I see her this week. I cut some cardboard to put between the various cards to mark the prices. We're selling in 4 price ranges - $1, $2, $3, and $4. I figure that's affordable for a congregation of mostly older folks on fixed incomes...and young families.

DD#1 had a lot of really good ideas. She suggested we put out a sample tray of the chocolates, so people could tell what they were paying all the money for. The Bernard Callebaut chocolate peanut butter cups (with organic pb) are to die for! And also cost 50 cents each to make. We want to raise money for missions, so they'll have to sell for at least 75 cents, preferably $1. That's a lot for one chocolate in my mind, but maybe I'm just showing my age.

DD#1 also gave me some good packaging ideas. I need to look into them for next time.

We also talked about selling other places than the church. Wouldn't be selling food then. That would need to be made in a commercial kitchen to be approved for sale anywhere else. However, there is the card-making, and we could get into sewing... and knitting for fall items...

Also talked to our master cardmaker today. She is also going to bake some cookies for sale. I have to remember to give her some bags and cardboard backing to display the cookies.

Talked with a couple of crafting bigwigs in the congregation today and made sure they knew that they were invited and welcome to participate whenever they wanted. They are both very busy right now, which is understandable, but I felt it important to put out the invite anyway. Some people like to be asked.

I made fudge today for the first time in years...my grandmother's recipe. I'm not so sure it worked. But it will be yummy anyway. I'll test it after supper. If it didn't work, well, company can help eat it! He's young and a bottomless pit.

Other than that, not much happening on my 20 Wishes today...except we're having company...so that's the hospitality end of things I suppose.
    Last edited by peanut; 01-30-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OK, so the guy came to stipple the ceilings and decided he didn't want to do it yet. So he's rebooked for next week. In the meantime...

To Do List
    Feb. 1 - 6, 2011

Knit on man's scarf for charity.
    Make candies/chocolates/cookies to sell.
    Find/create nice packaging for chocolates/candies.
    Create display for sale table...signage, etc.
    Read "Guideposts" book.
    Read some of "Getting Things Done" and apply it.
    Mend one thing in sewing room.
    Iron pattern pieces for my housecoat and pin it to the fabric. Cutting is optional, but nice.
    Enter the books stored under the basement coffee table in Readerware.
    Have a spiritual retreat on key Proverbs - about relationships and hospitality.
    Buy vodka (for vanilla extract! Just so you know... )

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast