2011 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really enjoyed this chalenge last year and while I didn't complete everything on my list I did many things I set out to do and it was a great feeling to accomplish those things and I had a lot of fun doing them. So I'm in again for 2011....I'll be back with my updated list!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, listing the next step is a great idea. so here are mine:

TWENTY WISHES LIST

1. make a portable bird blind from camo fabric design the bird blind so I know how much fabric I need
    2. make a “bird garden” with plants to attract more birds make a list of the plants I need so I can watch for them on clearance.
    3. hand tame wild birds at the feeder just keep on with this. Today I had 2 titmice and 2 chickadees coming to my hand
    4. propagate perennials and shrubs to landscape with make a list of plants and a schedule of when to take cuttings during the year
    5. make my woodland garden pretty again start weeding in March
    6. mat and frame Mom's paintings talk to DH & DD. They are the ones with the eye for what looks nice!
    7. make scrapbooks for paper keepsakes this likely will require money so I'm not sure what I can do right now
    8. write my family's history finish the questions I'm working on with Mom. Visit almost 92 yo relative and ask her questions too
    9. have a family portrait made we will have to do this on our own to save money. Maybe in Jan when DD1 & SIL are here for Christmas
    10. get copies old family photos talk to above relative and see if I can scan in her photos
    11. complete US School of Music piano lessons begin with lesson 13 where I stopped in the spring
    12. complete Singorama singing lessons ask DS if I can use his computer (he has the microphone I need) a few times a week
    13. make a CD with DDs and DS (just for us and the grandmas!) sit down with DD2 and finalize the song list. Include DS because he will provide the guitar music
    14. find some fellow singers and form a trio or a quartet or a quintet talk to several folks at church about the idea of forming a group to sing for church
    15. learn more Spanish check out MIT as Arnie mentioned. Choose one of my many books and start with the appropriate lesson
    16. write a book make a time line of family events to orient myself for the "story"
    17. study history choose a textbook or online source to study. I need some questions to answer or something to "test" to see if I'm learning anything. Any ideas?
    18. study the Bible more continue to read 1 or more chapters per day. For in depth study: I need to settle on a topic or a specific book of the Bible
    19. invite neighbors over for a vegetarian meal plan a menu with DD2, then invite the nieghbors
    20. go to the Creation Museum in Kentucky This will require money is is the realm of pipe dreams

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going off my Next Action list to make a list of things to work on in January. I can't do all of them. But I can pick a few wishes to work on at a time. The idea is to then break them down into weekly 'to do' lists. I never could get the hang of daily 'to do' lists. they just depressed me because I could never get everything I wanted done. But if I have a weekly list then I can pick and choose what I want to do (and do it at convenient times) and hopefully, by the end of the week, everything will at least have moved forward a bit.

Stay tuned for my January 'to do' list. I do the weekly lists at the end of each week, so I'm prepared for the next week of work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut I hope you'll be posting your Next Actions on this thread. I am learning from you! I have a terrible time thinking about and listing a next action. Your lists are a huge help to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes. I'll be posting them here. Next Action is the Next Step I already listed earlier for each of my goals. Just gotta refine it into a January 'to do' list.

Next actions are a good way to tell if you've formed a goal properly. If you're having problems coming up with a next action you probably haven't defined your goal well enough. Goals have to be specific and measurable. So do the 20 wishes, which are nothing other than glorified goals. So I try to have a specific action and a specific deadline or point at which I can tell if my goal has been attained.

If I don't do that I find I can be disappointed at the end of the year because I can't check off as many goals as I wanted to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, I am SO excited about your up-coming lists! I have searched and searched online for sample next actions lists that I could relate to but couldn't find anything that was meaningful to my life and goals. It all seemed to be business stuff which I wasn't able transfer to my situation.

I see that some of my wishes are a little vague like "make my woodland garden pretty again" That could probably be defined a bit better, couldn't it?

Some are big and that's a little discouraging like "write my family's history".

You are making me think! Thank you SO much! Looking forward to your weekly lists!! When I see yours, I'll know a bit better how to make mine. I can hardly wait

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

January 'to to' list

Knitting: man's scarf, mitred mitts, Norwegian mitts, frog my socks.
    Quilting: hand quilt TATW quilt, finish one baby quilt for charity.
    Sewing: wool mattress pad cover, organza gift bags, suit bag for wrapping paper, red skirt upcycle for boarder, fix DD#2's medieval dress (if possible).
    Projects to finish: TATW quilt, man's scarf, wool mattress pad cover
    Finish reading: “The Tipping Point”, “Dead Sea Scrolls”, and do a quick re-read of “Getting Things Done”, applying it as I go. If I have time and I'm ready, read another chapter of “The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook”, and do the exercises.
    Move finished projects from my file cabinet to binders.
    Finish fitting blazer mockup (remember it from last year?!).
    Enter sewing room books in Readerware. Look for bar code reader.
    Spiritual retreat on first day DH goes to work. Topic = finances.
    Email friend about coming for supper.
    Work through “Artistic Photo Quilts”. Research/learn how to use Adobe Photoshop 8. Work through Youtube tutorials.
    Talk to pastor and church secretary about best time to put church library information in church bulletin. Write up the information in a format sharable by all computers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    Peanut, I am SO excited about your up-coming lists! I have searched and searched online for sample next actions lists that I could relate to but couldn't find anything that was meaningful to my life and goals. It all seemed to be business stuff which I wasn't able transfer to my situation.

I see that some of my wishes are a little vague like "make my woodland garden pretty again" That could probably be defined a bit better, couldn't it?

Some are big and that's a little discouraging like "write my family's history".

You are making me think! Thank you SO much! Looking forward to your weekly lists!! When I see yours, I'll know a bit better how to make mine. I can hardly wait
    I had the same problem when I first started making goals for myself. I used the stickied threads in the Goals and Dreams forum here at FV to give me a head start. Then I did research on the Net to look at ways to organize things.

I also read Ernie Zelinski's book "The Joy of Not Working". Technically, as a stay-at-home-wife, I am not working. The book goes through the concept of creating a life map of the things you want to do before you die. A glorified Bucket List in mind map form...long before the "Bucket List" came out.

It was great to have this huge 18 x 24" graphic on my wall for years, but I found little got done. I realized I had real problems breaking goals down into steps. Plus I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the thing! In fact, I didn't even know what steps needed to be done! Enter David Allen's "Getting Things Done". Aimed at business people who need project management skills, I was able to tweak it to fit my home situation.

The key to making a next action list is to research your goal and decide what your next step will be. Where I often run into trouble is I find my goal requires a joint decision between DH and I...and he does not put the same priority on the goal I do. Consequently a decision will go unmade or not followed through on when it falls in his lap. So I've learned my 20 wishes have to be things either we've already agreed upon, or that fall within my domain.

That's one reason I like to do up our annual budget before the 20 wishes list. Once I do up the budget I can see what we have money for. And we can't do up a budget without planning the year somewhat. Which means I have an idea of the time I have available for my 20 wishes too. Which gives me a greater chance of success in meeting my goals.

Yeah, your "make my woodland garden pretty" is vague. But that can be made specific. You can take the time now to browse garden magazines to clip/tag/photocopy/scan photos of gardens you like. Keep them all in a file for pondering over when you enjoy your afternoon tea. That would give you an idea of what you want to work towards. You could break it into steps...like research/save money, draw up a plan, figure out where/how you can get materials for free/cheap, schedule who is going to do the work or prepare ground yourself (this means writing it down on your calendar/planner), acquire materials, and gather people to help you do it.

You can also set a deadline of having it presentable for a garden party by a certain date. Gives you motivation to finish it! Or have it photographed professionally by a certain date. Whatever motivates you to finish it! Or have it finished by the time company arrives on a particular date. Sometimes it helps to break it all down and work backwards from a deadline date. That way you can quickly see if you are going to miss your deadline due to unplanned delays.

People laugh at me for all the time I spend planning. But you know, people I know IRL also comment on how much I seem to get done. I make the most of these winter months to plan. And whenever I am sore or don't feel well, I spend time reading (on my list notice! ) or doing something solitary in my comfortable chair (knitting).

As for writing your family history...that's another post in itself. My husband does that. He is very good. I can tell you there are books on the subject. I can tell you there are different ways to present it and you have to decide what works for you. I love the scrapbooking approach to family history. DH is more detailed and loves the drier written version. It too, has steps it has to be broken down into. First collect information. You need proper forms and a file system to keep it all organized. I highly recommend [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Pedigrees-Organizing-Enhancing-Your/dp/0916489523"]Amazon.com: Beyond Pedigrees: Organizing and Enhancing Your Work (9780916489526): Beverly DeLong Whitaker: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@411X23AQTRL[/ame] by Beverly Whitaker. But there are other systems out there. Nowadays you can keep most of the information on your computer, but it still helps to have a filing system IRL set up for original documents and photos.

Anyways, I'm rambling. It will be fun doing this with you this year daylily. Hopefully we can both cheer each other on as we go...as well as everyone else on the thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I loved this challenge last year.

1. earn $500 a month from my own devices
    2. get financing
    3. start school
    4. sell homemade creations
    5. fix jetta
    6. sketch out a 5 year plan
    7. read 12 books
    8. Document important recipes from grandma
    9. Learn to can
    10. learn how to make quilt blocks
    11. Learn to embrace my current situation
    12. learn more about amigurumi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

To Do List
    Jan. 2-7, 2011

~ Finish knitting man's scarf,
    ~ Finish one baby quilt for charity. I already have the top mostly done.
    ~ Sew organza gift bags,
    ~ Sew suit bag for wrapping paper,
    ~ Finish reading “The Tipping Point”,
    ~ Enter sewing room books in Readerware. Look for bar code reader.
    ~ Spiritual retreat on first day DH goes to work. Topic = finances.
    ~ Email friend about coming for supper.
    ~ Research/learn how to use Adobe Photoshop 8. Work through Youtube tutorials – half an hour of tutorials a week.
    ~ Pick up reading "Artistic Photo Quilts" and try to follow along.
    ~ Talk to pastor and church secretary about best time to put church library information in church bulletin.
    ~ Write up the church library information in a format sharable by all computers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    January 'to to' list

Knitting: man's scarf, mitred mitts, Norwegian mitts, frog my socks.
    Quilting: hand quilt TATW quilt, finish one baby quilt for charity.
    Sewing: wool mattress pad cover, organza gift bags, suit bag for wrapping paper, red skirt upcycle for boarder, fix DD#2's medieval dress (if possible).
    Projects to finish: TATW quilt, man's scarf, wool mattress pad cover
    Finish reading: “The Tipping Point”, “Dead Sea Scrolls”, and do a quick re-read of “Getting Things Done”, applying it as I go. If I have time and I'm ready, read another chapter of “The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook”, and do the exercises.
    Move finished projects from my file cabinet to binders.
    Finish fitting blazer mockup (remember it from last year?!).
    Enter sewing room books in Readerware. Look for bar code reader.
    Spiritual retreat on first day DH goes to work. Topic = finances.
    Email friend about coming for supper.
    Work through “Artistic Photo Quilts”. Research/learn how to use Adobe Photoshop 8. Work through Youtube tutorials.
    Talk to pastor and church secretary about best time to put church library information in church bulletin. Write up the information in a format sharable by all computers!
    OK, I'm in learning mode here. You took these items from your 20 wishes list and put them in categories: knitting, sewing, reading, etc, right? Then you made a list for this week by determining Next Actions for each category?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    I had the same problem when I first started making goals for myself. I used the stickied threads in the Goals and Dreams forum here at FV to give me a head start. Then I did research on the Net to look at ways to organize things.

I also read Ernie Zelinski's book "The Joy of Not Working". Technically, as a stay-at-home-wife, I am not working. The book goes through the concept of creating a life map of the things you want to do before you die. A glorified Bucket List in mind map form...long before the "Bucket List" came out.

It was great to have this huge 18 x 24" graphic on my wall for years, but I found little got done. I realized I had real problems breaking goals down into steps. Plus I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the thing! In fact, I didn't even know what steps needed to be done! Enter David Allen's "Getting Things Done". Aimed at business people who need project management skills, I was able to tweak it to fit my home situation.

The key to making a next action list is to research your goal and decide what your next step will be. Where I often run into trouble is I find my goal requires a joint decision between DH and I...and he does not put the same priority on the goal I do. Consequently a decision will go unmade or not followed through on when it falls in his lap. So I've learned my 20 wishes have to be things either we've already agreed upon, or that fall within my domain.

That's one reason I like to do up our annual budget before the 20 wishes list. Once I do up the budget I can see what we have money for. And we can't do up a budget without planning the year somewhat. Which means I have an idea of the time I have available for my 20 wishes too. Which gives me a greater chance of success in meeting my goals.

Yeah, your "make my woodland garden pretty" is vague. But that can be made specific. You can take the time now to browse garden magazines to clip/tag/photocopy/scan photos of gardens you like. Keep them all in a file for pondering over when you enjoy your afternoon tea. That would give you an idea of what you want to work towards. You could break it into steps...like research/save money, draw up a plan, figure out where/how you can get materials for free/cheap, schedule who is going to do the work or prepare ground yourself (this means writing it down on your calendar/planner), acquire materials, and gather people to help you do it.

You can also set a deadline of having it presentable for a garden party by a certain date. Gives you motivation to finish it! Or have it photographed professionally by a certain date. Whatever motivates you to finish it! Or have it finished by the time company arrives on a particular date. Sometimes it helps to break it all down and work backwards from a deadline date. That way you can quickly see if you are going to miss your deadline due to unplanned delays.

People laugh at me for all the time I spend planning. But you know, people I know IRL also comment on how much I seem to get done. I make the most of these winter months to plan. And whenever I am sore or don't feel well, I spend time reading (on my list notice! ) or doing something solitary in my comfortable chair (knitting).

As for writing your family history...that's another post in itself. My husband does that. He is very good. I can tell you there are books on the subject. I can tell you there are different ways to present it and you have to decide what works for you. I love the scrapbooking approach to family history. DH is more detailed and loves the drier written version. It too, has steps it has to be broken down into. First collect information. You need proper forms and a file system to keep it all organized. I highly recommend Amazon.com: Beyond Pedigrees: Organizing and Enhancing Your Work (9780916489526): Beverly DeLong Whitaker: Books by Beverly Whitaker. But there are other systems out there. Nowadays you can keep most of the information on your computer, but it still helps to have a filing system IRL set up for original documents and photos.

Anyways, I'm rambling. It will be fun doing this with you this year daylily. Hopefully we can both cheer each other on as we go...as well as everyone else on the thread.
    I've spent a lot of time searching the Net trying to see how folks organize things too. I usually get so sick of trying to organize my goals that I don't even want to think about the goals anymore! I'll admit that I have not looked at the stickies on the Goals and Dreams on FV very much. I'll look at them more carefully. I looked at the "Getting Things Done" website and many forums about it but not having read his book, I didn't quite understand all the things they were talking about or exactly how to do what they were talking about.

Thank you for the book suggestions. I'll check the library for them. I would love to read the family history one!! I looked at sample pages of it on Amazon and it looks really interesting. I've been collecting family information for quite a few years and have a lot of forms filled with data. Putting it into a book form or however I decide to do it is where I am stuck at right now.

Thank you for the woodland garden suggestions too. I'll be making some plans for that this winter.

Please keep on "rambling"! I think I'm beginning to "get it". L( I appreciate your helpfulness!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I googled Readerware. I'd never heard of it. That would be awesome. I have thousands of books and had been thinking of cataloging them all by hand. I may try to save up some money and get that software. I wonder if it works with Linux?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OK, I'm in learning mode here. You took these items from your 20 wishes list and put them in categories: knitting, sewing, reading, etc, right? Then you made a list for this week by determining Next Actions for each category?
    Actually, I know myself. I picked one of each type of activity because I get bored easily...and distracted. If I had just decided to do all knitting this week I would have driven myself crazy! So I mix it up with a little bit of everything. If it works better for you to do all of one project at one time, go for it.

But yes, you're right. The list originally came from my Next Action list, which came from my 20 Wishes list. I categorized them just to make sure I didn't have too much of any one type of activity. I still may have overdone it with the sewing. We'll see.

"Getting Things Done" gave me a method for organizing my projects. A lot of it is business oriented and not really relevant, unless you're running a project with tons of other people and a huge budget. But you can look at your household like that. If you view your household as an exercise in project management, then you get a whole fresh perspective on how everything fits together...like frugal living improving your standard of living.

Mostly GTD encouraged me to set up individual notebooks - Project List, Next Action/Reading List (one in the front of the book, one in the back), Someday/Maybe List (of things I want to do), and At Computer/Call List (one at front of book and one at back) for things to do at my computer and people to call.

Plus it help me set up a filing system for my crafts. I had binders and pieces of paper and pattern all over the place. I couldn't find anything when friends asked me about a pattern or idea. So I organized it all into a filing system in two file drawers. I am working on that this week by taking finished projects out of the filing drawer and moving them to binders. I need more space in the filing drawers.
    Last edited by peanut; 01-02-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I googled Readerware. I'd never heard of it. That would be awesome. I have thousands of books and had been thinking of cataloging them all by hand. I may try to save up some money and get that software. I wonder if it works with Linux?
    I don't know if it works with Linux.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast