2011 Twenty Wishes Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have I totally overwhelmed people? Where is everyone? Hope I didn't scare you all off... I tend to overkill the planning end of things sometimes...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you followed the Twenty Wishes thread last year you'll know this is the way we normally track progress.

Yesterday I worked on...

5. Finish projects started - 1 per month. - knitting on man's scarf yesterday.

7. Read 2 books a month. - Read more of "The Tipping Point".

11. Sew through one drawer unit of fabric. - pulled out some denim a friend gave me to sew a suit bag style bag to hold wrapping paper.

14. Enter entire book collection in Readerware. - Mostly finished the books in my sewing room. Just a few to finish today.

15. Have a spiritual retreat once a month. - decided to do one on finances. Picked up appropriate books from church library this morning.

16. Practice hospitality. Have at least one couple/person in per pay period for a meal and evening fun. - Invited someone this week in person. Have someone else planned for the weekend. In fact, this motivated me to get my January social calendar in order. I talked to people at church and we decided when our various groups would meet and where.

18. Explore fibre arts. Try new techniques.- I started to read "Artistic Photo Quilts" but realized I can't go any further in it without knowing more of Adobe Photoshop. So I spent about an hour yesterday watching Photoshop Youtube videos and playing around with Photoshop.

20. Save $15,000 for a new kitchen next year. - $700/$15,000 in bank account.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh no, you haven't scared us off! I'm sorting paperwork and thinking about my 20 Wishes! I need just what you are doing and please don't stop! I'm excited and hope to be able to tackle my list just as you've done yours when I get some paper work sorted and filed. Just stopped by to check my email. I subscribed to this thread. Please keep sharing your planning with us. I'm starting to see light at the ending of the goal planning tunnel..lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You know, daylily, one of the things DH does when he's trying to get a handle on a person's life for writing purposes...is to make a chronological timeline of events in their lives. He intersperses it with important dates in history, so he can get a grasp of the times they lived in as well. It gives him perspective on why they might be doing or thinking the things they are. Gives him a feel for a person's personality and character. Have you done those before?

Registered User Gotonenerveleft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm still here...you haven't scared me off yet.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to plan mine out but then again I have alot goals that the "next action" on is the actual doing. Not much planning to them. Will need to go back and look at the list with new eyes.

Right now I'm just wishing my hubby would go back to work so I can really focus on all the challenges I joined. He goes back on Tuesday so that will be my first free day to immerse myself in my goals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

finished my list and here's my next step.

1. earn $500 a month from my own devices- come up with full plan of what to create
    2. get financing- start on fafsa
    3. start school- start on fafsa
    4. sell homemade creations- create 1 original creation
    5. fix jetta- get dol back
    6. sketch out a 5 year plan- career, relationship, personal
    7. read 12 books- finish manic
    8. Document important recipes from grandma- come up with a list of what to ask her about
    9. Learn to can-this will have to wait until summer
    10. learn how to make quilt blocks- find fabric cheap
    11. Learn to embrace my current situation- clean, stay busy, work on self esteem
    12. learn more about amigurumi- find pin number for library
    13. get dol back- fill in blanks from 10/30/10
    14. quit smoking- 38 hours and going strong!
    15. embroidery grid sampler-did I start one?
    16. embroidery block of the month- provided design or create my own?
    17. scan and organize family photos- organize the ones that are already scanned
    18. retype Hammon history book- I will work on this in february
    19. recycle- I set up plastic and cardboard "Centers" going pretty well. I need to research what can be for sure recycled in my area.
    20. granny millers self reliant challenge-this is a summer challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    You know, daylily, one of the things DH does when he's trying to get a handle on a person's life for writing purposes...is to make a chronological timeline of events in their lives. He intersperses it with important dates in history, so he can get a grasp of the times they lived in as well. It gives him perspective on why they might be doing or thinking the things they are. Gives him a feel for a person's personality and character. Have you done those before?
    I've read about doing this but have not done it. It's one of my "baby steps" for writing my family history. I would welcome any tips!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's My January To-Do List

Birds- spend time at the feeder daily for hand-taming birds

Bird Blind- ask DH to help me design the bird blind
    sketch the design
    figure out how much fabric I need
    decide on which camo type I want
    begin saving money for the fabric, etc.

Propagating Plants
    Make a list of plants I want to propagate
    Make a schedule of when to take cuttings or sow seeds
    Order seeds
    This can coordinate with woodland and bird gardens

Woodland Garden
    Find photos of woodland gardens that I like
    Start a file for photos and articles
    Make a list of plants I want
    Draw up a garden plan
    Make a monthly work schedule

Bird Garden
    Follow the same steps as for Woodland Garden

Family History
    Finish questions with Mom
    Call to schedule visit with elderly relative
    Take photo to see if she can ID people

Old Photos
    Ask elderly relative if I can take photos of her photos

Family Portrait
    Email DD1 and tell her I want to do this while they are here
    See if DD2 can come up with a nice backdrop
    Coordinate our outfits with the backdrop
    Take several photos

Piano Lessons
    Get lesson materials together
    Determine where I am
    Include finger exercises & techniques
    Set up a schedule for learning and practice

Singing Lessons
    Look over lessons; set up a schedule with DS & his computer
    Practice vocal exercises daily

Music CDs
    Decide on song list with DS & DD2
    Arrange at least 3 of the songs
    Practice these 3 songs
    Record these 3 songs

Spanish
    Choose 1 book to work through
    Listen to Learnables tapes
    Watch Spanish Christian TV station 3 hours per week

History
    Choose a period to study
    Gather materials- my library, public library, online
    How can I determine if I'm learning anything?

Bible
    Continue with the Genesis series I started last year

Ok, I think that is probably more than enough for January! I will come back later with a list for this week.

Peanut, thanks for the tips on the woodland garden. I hope you don't mind me using the steps you listed
    Last edited by daylily; 01-02-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: to change colors

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not at all! Your to-do list looks long. Kudos for putting it all down on 'paper' like that.

I finished entering my studio books in Readerware. Next week I will work on the main floor books. Depending on my workload, I might even be able to move onto the basement books. Most of the main floor books are already entered.

I started sewing the organza gift bags. I actually finished one and cut out the rest. These are going to take longer to sew than I thought.

Planning for the retreat is in progress. This also might take more work than I thought. I'm not sure I'm going to stick to the topic of 'finances'. I might look at a broader subject area. Right now I'm looking at a book "Success, Motivation and the Scriptures". It's 40 years old and has some interesting observations. The writing style is interesting. The author felt it necessary to define "psychology"!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is a little long but several of the to-dos are quick and easy items.

Week of Jan 2-8

Birds- spend time at the feeder daily for hand-taming birds

Bird Blind- ask DH to help me design the bird blind
    sketch the design
    research fabric for best price

Propagating Plants
    Make a list of plants I want to propagate

Woodland Garden
    Find photos of woodland gardens that I like
    Start a file for photos and articles

Family Portrait
    Email DD1 and tell her I want to do this while they are here
    See if DD2 can come up with a nice backdrop
    Coordinate our outfits with the backdrop
    Take several photos

Music CDs
    Decide on song list with DS & DD2

That's all for this week because DD & SIL are coming up for the weekend and we'll have our Christmas celebration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Brandi: What's fafsa?

Do you know what kind of original creation to sell yet? I've struggled with this one for years.

Ooooh! a 5 year plan! I love planning.

on #7 "finish manic"...hmmm.... OK I have to ask. What's the name of the book?

Oooh...you know, when Gram died my sister and her daughter put together wonderful binders of Gram's recipes for all of us. It was so uber-cool! My children enjoy Great-Gram's Chocolate Cookies to this day!

I once did a series of scrapbooking pages on our traditional Christmas, complete with recipes, photos, and a description of how we celebrated the holidays. One of my better scrapbooking themes.

#10 - I find fabric cheap on the Internet. I cut up old clothes (you'd be surprised the nice cotton they make men's shirts out of). I usually go to Full Circles to get it for free. But that's Canadian only. Might be something locally where you are? Maybe Freecycle? Just take any clothes being offered (adults are best...less cutting and piecing), take what you want to cut up for a quilt, and pass the rest on!

I also take any sheets being offered, or buy 100% cotton sheets at thrift stores and use them for backing or piecing. If they're ugly sometimes you can overdye them with a cheap union dye like RIT or Dylon, and you get a gorgeous fabric. That's easy to do in the washing machine.

I am embarrassed to admit, I am a knitter and had to look amigurumi up! Sounds like fun!

14. quit smoking- 38 hours and going strong!
    You go girl! Find a positive displacement activity to keep those fingers busy with something constructive! It is so hard to quit. I've seen people struggle with this a long time. Big {{{hugs}}} to you for doing this.

Sounds like you have a lot of creative things in mind this year. Have you seen the Pin Tangle website for embroidery stitches? It's phenomenal!

What's "granny miller self reliant challenge"?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here's my Twenty Wishes for this year.

1. Take better care of my body: exercise 3xw, be mindful of portion sizes, and eat less refined sugar.
    2. Consistently read my Bible (finish in 1 yr), pray, and attend services.
    3. Update my resume, create a new cover letter, and apply for different jobs.
    4. Save $8-10K towards a home rewire, sheetrock to replace the paneling, and new light fixtures.
    5. Figure out a way to earn money from home.
    6. Be a better listener to my husband and be patient in view of his job’s demands.
    7. Visit my mother and grandmother at least once monthly and help them out.
    8. Pay off DH’s student loan by April 2011.
    9. Reduce the amount of profanity I use and maintain a more positive outlook.
    10. Cut our grocery spending by $100/month.
    11. Finish completely housetraining my puppy.
    12. Take my vitamins daily and go to bed preferably by 9:30 and no later than 10:30 on work nights.
    13. Post to my blog at least once monthly.
    14. Be more social and make new friends in this town.
    15. Get my white bedroom furniture from my childhood room brought to my house and placed in the purple bedroom.
    16. Refinance our mortgage for a lower interest rate and pay fees out of pocket; pay money saved from interest towards principal.
    17. Prime and paint trim and doorways in hall; paint hallway.
    18. Spend less time online, and more time cleaning house, reading books, and crafting.
    19. Make meal plans, don’t leave grocery shopping to the last minute, and minimize eating out.
    20. Prepare for Christmas 2011 ahead of time through saving and making gifts throughout the year.

I really like everyone else's lists thus far, too

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's a good healthy bunch of goals MyMelody! One thing I found that really helped me cut back my profanity was setting a firm rule that every time I swore or used cuss words I put a dollar in a jar for charity. I used to work in a Field Camp with a bunch of male forestry students and professionals. The language could get rather ripe. I've spent years trying to curtail it. It only gets out of control now when something really unexpected and bad happens (like breaking the discontinued china teapot!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't been able to accomplish much this weekend, have had a house full of company most days since ds 27 came home. Not complaining, just not getting any thing done. dh has also been home and will be here one more day. By Jan 4th, I might have my life back LOL

1. Make 2 new recipes per month
    2. To declutter and organize the entire house and garage
    3. Lose a pound a week (or so) my goal is 40? pounds by next Christmas (will know exact number on 4 Jan)
    4. Read my Bible and Catechism daily
    5. To save money in my change jar ($100.00) to be used for new clothes
    6. To finish reading 2 books per month (24 for year)
    7. To improve my daily and weekly personal care
    8. To fling 2011 items during the year
    9. To reduce spending on variable expenses
    10. To complete my spring course with an A
    11. To eliminate all the boxes of "paper" in the garage
    12. To complete the "Mother's" books
    13. To do at least morning and evening prayer daily
    14. To declutter and organize my genealogy files this year (included scanning and putting stuff on ancestry)
    15. To finish my Companion and Oblate courses
    16. To continue to do my SFO lessons
    17. Decide between the 2 Franciscan courses and work on them
    18. Declutter and organize bill and file boxes
    19. Finish two more projects for LHC
    20. To do a regular exercise program and gradually build what I can do

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like some people are still busy with Christmas. University and school started back today around here. Everyone's gone home or back to work or school.

I finished my first retreat of the year today. It was very fruitful. Gave me lots more to work on. What's a little more work?

Made a detailed listing of the books I want to work out of for fibre arts this year. I will be doing a lot of samples.

Delved more into the hospitality wish and made a list of things to do/ask people who do this sort of thing on a regular basis.

Also looked at the money side of the equation and decided to make some changes to my personal finances. Not near enough, but every bit helps. I'm going to start keeping my frugal journal again. I stopped the last couple of years because we didn't seem to need it so much. But now I feel like I need to work further on this to see how much I can save for the kitchen reno next year.

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast